poor night

militaryoperator

Well, that was a poor night. Getting a lot of noise on 9 when pointing East, my best direction of course!

Still surprised how easily some give up.  Arrange on KST,  go to freq, point beam roughly (no computer control here) in right dir, and call. Then get KST message, "can't hear you, thanks, 73"  without even trying to send back so one can nudge the beam.

Even my paltry 40 ele is sharp enough to be off by a couple of degrees. I can usually hear folk when first pointed and can then peak (by hand) to get a better signal. As I'm right next to pole I can very quickly swing it to and fro to get a peak but some can't even wait long enough to try it. Strange.

Anyway, thanks to those who did persist and the few we missed.

Sunday on 10 then, weather permitting (open window situation here).

cheers, Ben G4BXD

Graham G3VKV

Hi Ben,
Put a 360 degree protractor around the pole (£1.74 WH Smiths) + pointer
Rotate it to calibrate on a beacon or the first station you hear and away you go
many more contacts.
Direction to point available on KST
                                    Graham G3VKV

militaryoperator

Hi Ben,
Put a 360 degree protractor around the pole (£1.74 WH Smiths) + pointer
Rotate it to calibrate on a beacon or the first station you hear and away you go
many more contacts.
Direction to point available on KST
                                    Graham G3VKV

Yes, an idea Graham. I do know where the cardinal points are but as you know, just because KST says xdeg one might get a better signal by being either side, reflection, incorrect location, width of a 6 figure reference and so on.

Still doesn't answer the problem of stations giving up on trying a qso simply because they couldn't hear my narrow beam signal after a few seconds listening, maybe not even on the right freq.

Still, its only a hobby, hi.

cheers, Ben.

Graham G3VKV

You could always ask the other station to transmit first - a waterfall display is very useful
and as you say signals don't always arrive from the calculated direction
When you are working all four bands an extra 5 minutes on one QSO can mean you miss 2 or 3 other contacts
The higher you go the harder it gets !
                                               Graham G3VKV