Topics

PC Noise

g3ypq

Not entirely on topic but something that might affect us all. For years I have put up with  a load of  computer generated spurs on waterfalls especially on 50MHz 70Mhz and 144Mhz.
Yesterday I changed monitor to a a nice 4k version and bingo they've gone. What a relief.

Phil G3YPQ

Colin Ranson

What make and model is it please Phil ?  mine produces broadband hash (an HKC) on 2m so I use a Win 10 notebook for KST, logging etc.

Regards

Colin de G8LBS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 28 September 2020 18:56
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] PC Noise

Not entirely on topic but something that might affect us all. For years I have put up with  a load of  computer generated spurs on waterfalls especially on 50MHz 70Mhz and 144Mhz.
Yesterday I changed monitor to a a nice 4k version and bingo they've gone. What a relief.

Phil G3YPQ

Conrad, PA5Y

If you do not want to go to the expense of a 4K monitor the HP Elite display E243 or E273 when used with a good quality display port cable are very quiet. My 2m EME system is 10m AGL and 12m away from these monitors and I cannot detect them.

I went through a good number of displays before I settled on these.

Conrad PA5Y

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of Colin Ranson via groups.io
Sent: 28 September 2020 20:25
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] PC Noise

What make and model is it please Phil ?  mine produces broadband hash (an HKC) on 2m so I use a Win 10 notebook for KST, logging etc.

Regards

Colin de G8LBS

Sent: 28 September 2020 18:56
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] PC Noise

Phil G3YPQ

Phil Williams

Hello Colin,  The 4k monitor is an LG 24UD58. Looks like Conrad has done a more scientific study than I have though.
The offender was a Philips 193V5L  VGA 

Phil 

Colin Ranson

Thanks for that Phil,

Also for  your input Conrad.

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent: 28 September 2020 22:20

Hello Colin,  The 4k monitor is an LG 24UD58. Looks like Conrad has done a more scientific study than I have though.

Phil 

Gordon REASON

Type amnd make /model please ............ Phil .

On 28 September 2020 at 18:40 g3ypq <phil@...> wrote:

Phil G3YPQ

Colin Ranson

Morning Phil,

After doing a bit of ‘Windows’ shopping for monitors the old adage still applies “ you only get what you pay for”

Regards

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent: 28 September 2020 22:30

Thanks for that Phil,

Also for  your input Conrad.

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent: 28 September 2020 22:20

Phil