From: Scatterpoint@groups.io Notification <noreply@groups.io>
To: Scatterpoint@groups.io <Scatterpoint@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, 13 Mar 2021 16:20
Subject: [Scatterpoint] File /SP2102-A4-Issue2.pdf uploaded #file-notice

The following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the Scatterpoint@groups.io group.
By: Roger Ray <g8cub@...>
February 2021 Scatterpoint is published Updated version with apologies to Barry G8AGN for errors in his article

Neil Smith G4DBN

The big question for me is how they are getting 20 *milliwatts* at 241 GHz. It is going to be interesting so see when that is published in DUBUS or somewhere.

Oh, for a tame die-bonder....

Neil G4DBN

On 13/03/2021 16:29, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
241Ghz

Distance: 63,987 km

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

.uk

Andy G4JNT

If you want to be really pedantic, "... temperature was -1 ° C"  should read  "... temperature was -1C"
C is the unit of temperature,  no degree sign

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 16:29, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
241Ghz

Distance: 63,987 km

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

er um. After Brexit I thought we would sort out the . and , in measuring?

Ben

February 2021 Scatterpoint is published Updated version with apologies to Barry G8AGN for errors in his article

Roger Ray

Come on it was a European report written by Germans. The first page tells you it is 64km.
Andy is excused as he written loads for the mag. If you want to see different articles, then the way to see them, is write something.
I was very aware that the latest mag was highly millimetre based. But, it can only be as good as the input received. If punctuation is that important, then you definitely need a new editor.

Scatterpoint editor

On 13 Mar 2021, at 16:53, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

If you want to be really pedantic, "... temperature was -1 ° C"  should read  "... temperature was -1C"
C is the unit of temperature,  no degree sign

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 16:29, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
241Ghz

Distance: 63,987 km

WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

er um. After Brexit I thought we would sort out the . and , in measuring?

Ben

February 2021 Scatterpoint is published Updated version with apologies to Barry G8AGN for errors in his article

Andy G4JNT

In fact,  feel an article coming on already...

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 17:37, Roger Ray via groups.io <g8cub=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Andy is excused as he written loads for the mag. If you want to see different articles, then the way to see them, is write something.

Dave G8KHU

By international agreement, in SI

C is Coulomb
°C (no space between the degree symbol and the capital C) is degree Celcius
Both are derived units not primary
I believe that "degree" was adopted as a convention to prevent confusion between the two.

The decimal marker may be either a comma or a space depending on language or context

https://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/si-brochure/SI-Brochure-9.pdf pages 138 and 150 for those interested (or those suffering acute insomnia)

Dave

militaryoperator

If you want to see different articles, then the way to see them, is write something.

um, now there's an idea.

Ben G4BXD !

militaryoperator

If you want to see different articles, then the way to see them, is write something.

um, now there's an idea.

Ben G4BXD !

cover.jpeg

Andy G4JNT

Ah yes, it's Kelvin that omits the degree symbol,  Celcius keeps it.

The thousands separator is what generally confuses.
I believe the comma is now deprecated because of it's confusion with the decimal point in some languages , and the standard is a space, or a half-space if the word processor allows it.   Commas are horrible anyway.

The decimal point / separator is an interesting one.

""SI used only a comma as the separator for decimal fractions until
1997. The number "twenty four and fifty one hundredths" would be
written as "24,51". In 1997 the CIPM decided that the British full
stop (the "dot on the line", or period) would be the decimal separator
in text whose main language is English ("24.51"); the comma remains
the decimal separator in all other languages."

This would indicate that the dot has to be used in English texts and
the comma has to be used in all other languages. Was this ever the
case?
I any case, the 22nd CGPM (2003) decided that either comma or dot are
allowed. Language-dependency is not mentioned in the decision."

On Sat, 13 Mar 2021 at 20:07, Dave G8KHU <david@...> wrote:
By international agreement, in SI

C is Coulomb
°C (no space between the degree symbol and the capital C) is degree Celcius
Both are derived units not primary
I believe that "degree" was adopted as a convention to prevent confusion between the two.

The decimal marker may be either a comma or a space depending on language or context

https://www.bipm.org/utils/common/pdf/si-brochure/SI-Brochure-9.pdf pages 138 and 150 for those interested (or those suffering acute insomnia)

Dave

Dave G8KHU

I've only ever known Kelvin as K but evidently it was degrees Kelvin ( °K ) until 1968, interesting how things change :)

To drift back slightly more onto topic I'm with Neil, I to would like to know about how they realised 20 mW

Dave

Wilko

Celsius, not Celcius.

SI would afaik absolute temperature in Kelvin

Wilko
PA1WBU

Simon Brown

I believe that °C is the correct abbreviation for Celsius (which is measured in degrees). The abbreviation of Kelvin is K.

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com