noise genny

militaryoperator

The little noise genny from China (where else? but at least they deliver) has arrived and an initial try through my 9Cm filter gives a nice steep sided response. 

It was interesting to see the shape change as I adjusted one of the screws,  much easier when you can see the signal, hi. 

Really need to get a better speccy though, missed a 3.8Ghz one that went for less than £500 and one up to 8Ghz gets no reply to a question from the seller, go figure. 

I just need to box it up and make it easier to use, save dropping anything on it while it's on, and then I can give the filter a tweak.

Finally received it after a week of no post, their are all self isolating here apparently.

Will be on 10Ghz tomorrow, had a nice qso with G4ODA earlier today, thanks Keith.

Ben 

Paul G8AQA

Hi Ben,

I have an HP spec an for sale.18GHz direct 43GHz with external mixer.  With it a tracking generator to 1.5GHz.
Also available an automatic preselector to 18GHz.

Interested for a few hundred pounds?

Paul

On 24/07/2021 14:45, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
The little noise genny from China (where else? but at least they deliver) has arrived and an initial try through my 9Cm filter gives a nice steep sided response. 

It was interesting to see the shape change as I adjusted one of the screws,  much easier when you can see the signal, hi. 

Really need to get a better speccy though, missed a 3.8Ghz one that went for less than £500 and one up to 8Ghz gets no reply to a question from the seller, go figure. 

I just need to box it up and make it easier to use, save dropping anything on it while it's on, and then I can give the filter a tweak.

Finally received it after a week of no post, their are all self isolating here apparently.

Will be on 10Ghz tomorrow, had a nice qso with G4ODA earlier today, thanks Keith.

Ben 

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Paul G8KFW

Hi Ben

Are you trying to tune a filter if so what frequency

Regards Paul

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of militaryoperator via groups.io
Sent: 24 July 2021 14:45
To: ukmicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] noise genny

Ben 

--
Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

militaryoperator

Hi Ben

Regards Paul

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io [mailto:UKMicrowaves@groups.io] On Behalf Of militaryoperator via groups.io

the clue's in the first line Paul, 9Cm, 3400Mhz.

Ben

Andy G4JNT

Yes but to be mega-pedantic, there is no SI multiplier C
You mean  c   (in lower case)  hence 9cm.

And on the subject, why do Radio Amateurs still use wavelength to specify the bands?

You're talking about the 3.4GHz band - why refer to it as a distance?

The dafties on LF (the USA are by far the worst at this)  even refer to the two lowest bands as 2200m and 630m
WHY ?????????????

Why are we SO STUCK IN THE PAST?

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 at 20:34, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Ben

Regards Paul

Ben

Paul G8KFW

OK ben let us be more specific

Depending on the accuracy and expectable  ripple

Excluding phase

If I wanted to tune a filter I would use a sweeper and a scaler analyser

But you can use a sweeper with a diode detector and a scope

Paul

Sent: 24 July 2021 20:35
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] noise genny

Hi Ben

Regards Paul

Ben

--

militaryoperator

Excluding phase

Paul

Indeed Paul. But............. if you don't have a sweeper and scaler analyser then, 

one has to do what one can do with what one has. 

Tuning the filter for a simple max o/p at 3400Mhz solved my qrm problem on the 9 centimeter band anyway.

I was just interested to see its shape and how the various tuning screws affected it. 

cheers, Ben G4BXD

Colin Ranson

Hi Ben,    we need a kind soul to knock a few up !   I would happily pay 50-60 notes for a sharp example, but I am also willing to bet time wise it would be a bargain at that.

Regards

Colin de G8LBS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 24 July 2021 21:56

Excluding phase

Paul

Indeed Paul. But............. if you don't have a sweeper and scaler analyser then, 

Tuning the filter for a simple max o/p at 3400Mhz solved my qrm problem on the 9 centimeter band anyway.

I was just interested to see its shape and how the various tuning screws affected it. 

cheers, Ben G4BXD

Andy G4JNT

July 2018 RadCom,  Page 67
Noise source + used to adjust 3.4GHz filter

On Sat, 24 Jul 2021 at 21:56, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Excluding phase

Paul

cheers, Ben G4BXD

Paul G8KFW

Hi Ben

OK about the filter and that it is doing the job for you

I just thought you were having problems as you were talking about spectrum analysers and noise sources

In that case best of luck with the Microwave bands

Regards Paul

Sent: 24 July 2021 21:57

Excluding phase

Paul

cheers, Ben G4BXD

--

militaryoperator

Hi Ben
OK about the filter and that it is doing the job for you
I just thought you were having problems as you were talking about spectrum analysers and noise sources
In that case best of luck with the Microwave bands
Regards Paul

Oh there's always something Paul. It seems every time I find a solution to measure this or that another need arises.

I think even if I had a really good sig gen and speccy there would still be things I couldn't measure, hi.

Still, I'll plod on. I was going to say I'll get there one day but there aren't that many days left, hi hi 

cheers, Ben

militaryoperator

Hi Ben,    we need a kind soul to knock a few up !   I would happily pay 50-60 notes for a sharp example, but I am also willing to bet time wise it would be a bargain at that.

Regards

Colin de G8LBS

If you mean the filter Colin I was amazed how easy it was. Using my huge tool selection, hacksaw, drill, file and tap it took me a couple of days messing. 

If one were to produce you would just need to make a few jigs up, cutting the square tube, the pillers for the tuning, bang bang etc then a drilling jig. 

If I had a bigger workshop.. etc etc.

The next one I must look at is the tapping of the holes, these are fairly loose and disappointing. They lock up with the nuts but really need to be a tighter fit in the first place to make tuning easier. 

Ben G4BXD

Paul G8KFW

Hi Ben

Regarding your line and excuse me but the explanation could be useful to others

(The next one I must look at is the tapping of the holes, these are fairly loose and disappointing. They lock up with the nuts but really need to be a tighter fit in the first place to make tuning easier.)

Sorry I have not seen the design but regarding loos threads  you say you taped the holes ! could the drill used be a little too large for the job ?

Alternatively when  you put the threads onto the screws  ! As a lot of the die sets that are sold  do not have an adjustable die  and this is often a problem when threading a rod resulting in loos threads

Regards Paul

Sent: 25 July 2021 09:04

Regards

Colin de G8LBS

If you mean the filter Colin I was amazed how easy it was. Using my huge tool selection, hacksaw, drill, file and tap it took me a couple of days messing. 

If one were to produce you would just need to make a few jigs up, cutting the square tube, the pillers for the tuning, bang bang etc then a drilling jig. 

If I had a bigger workshop.. etc etc.

The next one I must look at is the tapping of the holes, these are fairly loose and disappointing. They lock up with the nuts but really need to be a tighter fit in the first place to make tuning easier. 

Ben G4BXD

--

militaryoperator

Now, if only I could find a July 18 Radcomic!!

Ben

Andy G4JNT

On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 at 11:55, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Ben

ian hope (2E0IJH)

Avalible online if a RSGB member, https://rsgb.org/main/publications-archives/radcom/

Ian
M5IJH

Sent: Monday, July 26, 2021 at 11:55 AM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944@...>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] noise genny

Andy

Ben

Dave (G1OGY)

On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 at 12:18, ian hope (2E0IJH) <ian@...> wrote:
Avalible online if a RSGB member, https://rsgb.org/main/publications-archives/radcom/

Somewhat limited search criteria though...

"Please enter keywords, article title, or author's name or call sign"

And no obvious option to access a particular issue.

Dave, G1OGY 

Neil Smith G4DBN

Cheating perhaps, but edit the URL to get any specific issue/page:

https://thersgb.org/members/publications/radcom/2018/july/files/assets/basic-html/page-66.html

The search engine doesn't seem to think Andy has written anything since 2017 though

Neil G4DBN

On 26/07/2021 13:54, Dave (G1OGY) wrote:

Dave (G1OGY)

That's helpful, Neil. thanks.
Yes; I noticed that Andy appeared to be putting his effort here, instead ;)

Dave, G1OGY

On Mon, 26 Jul 2021 at 14:11, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

Cheating perhaps, but edit the URL to get any specific issue/page:

https://thersgb.org/members/publications/radcom/2018/july/files/assets/basic-html/page-66.html

The search engine doesn't seem to think Andy has written anything since 2017 though

Neil G4DBN

On 26/07/2021 13:54, Dave (G1OGY) wrote:

militaryoperator

Dave, G1OGY 

Even more limited if your not an RSGB member !!

Ben