Nice 10 GHz PI4 signals from PI7ALK tonight

Neil Smith G4DBN

I've been seeing the PI7ALK beacon on 10 GHz this evening at strengths up to -3dB in PI4 mode.

I see it is on 10368.920 rather than the .930 suggested by beaconspot. IO93NR to JO22IP, 396 km.

Nice to have it back in service after its refurb, I've missed it. DB0GHZ is starting to come up out of the noise from JO34WE at 578 km on 10368.810

Neil G4DBN

John Lemay

Hi Neil and all

Copying DB0GHZ and DB0JK on 3cms this morning. It’s rare for me to hear the latter.

John G4ZTR JO01KW

I've been seeing the PI7ALK beacon on 10 GHz this evening at strengths up to -3dB in PI4 mode.

I see it is on 10368.920 rather than the .930 suggested by beaconspot. IO93NR to JO22IP, 396 km.

Nice to have it back in service after its refurb, I've missed it. DB0GHZ is starting to come up out of the noise from JO34WE at 578 km on 10368.810

Neil G4DBN

John Fell

Hi Neil,
Check the historic spots made for this and other EU 10GHz beacons and you will find they often are many kHz off the nominal listed frequency .
Has confused me out /P upt the Moors whilst providing liquid dinner for local insects and having no local data to view .

73 John
G0API
Sat under a large T cell near Kingsbridge , S Devon - may be some good long haul RS happening

On Wed, 8 Sept 2021 at 00:30, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

I've been seeing the PI7ALK beacon on 10 GHz this evening at strengths up to -3dB in PI4 mode.

I see it is on 10368.920 rather than the .930 suggested by beaconspot. IO93NR to JO22IP, 396 km.

Nice to have it back in service after its refurb, I've missed it. DB0GHZ is starting to come up out of the noise from JO34WE at 578 km on 10368.810

They did a PI4 and GPSDO upgrade very recently and it is within a few Hz of .920 absolutely solid.  I wonder if it is just that the beaconspot info is wrong.  It certainly used to be all over the place.  Not quite as footloose as PI7RTD, which loves to go a-wanderin', but yeah, pretty random.

That line of storms is a bit too far from me to be useful into France, we are basking in baking hot sunshine here in East Yorkshire.

Neil G4DBN

On 08/09/2021 10:20, John Fell wrote:
Hi Neil,
Check the historic spots made for this and other EU 10GHz beacons and you will find they often are many kHz off the nominal listed frequency .
Has confused me out /P upt the Moors whilst providing liquid dinner for local insects and having no local data to view .

73 John
G0API
Sat under a large T cell near Kingsbridge , S Devon - may be some good long haul RS happening

John Fell

FB .Not a regular at home in Dorset  but good to know it is now locked .
It was 27 C down here yesterday - only low 20's now and rumblin damp with flashes - net dropouts , even the local TV relay does not like it .
AH !  Brightening from the West ......
73
John
G0API

On Wed, 8 Sept 2021 at 10:41, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
They did a PI4 and GPSDO upgrade very recently and it is within a few Hz
of .920 absolutely solid.  I wonder if it is just that the beaconspot
info is wrong.  It certainly used to be all over the place.  Not quite
as footloose as PI7RTD, which loves to go a-wanderin', but yeah, pretty
random.

That line of storms is a bit too far from me to be useful into France,
we are basking in baking hot sunshine here in East Yorkshire.

Neil G4DBN

On 08/09/2021 10:20, John Fell wrote:
> Hi Neil,
> Check the historic spots made for this and other EU 10GHz beacons and
> you will find they often are many kHz off the nominal listed frequency .
> Has confused me out /P upt the Moors whilst providing liquid dinner
> for local insects and having no local data to view .
>
> 73 John
> G0API
> Sat under a large T cell near Kingsbridge , S Devon - may be some good
> long haul RS happening

John Quarmby

I understand that PI7ALK will be off shortly for some work, when it was really strong yesterday both the 6cm and 3cm systems had strong spurs ±19.5kHz, and the 3cm one also had spurs ± 39KHz so Ruud PE1BTV is organising a fix.

On a side note, some recent beacons based on PLL sources have high levels of phase noise - OK under normal conditions but noticeable when there is a strong tropo lift. Although PI7RTD wanders around, at least it generates a clean signal!

Some work by the IARU on frequency coordination would be useful, as PI7ALK is on the same frequency as DB0VC and not far off the same beam heading, and PA3GCO is co-channel with OZ7IGY, again OK if no enhancement but a problem with a big lift. Closer to home GB3FNM is co-channel with DB0VC on 2320MHz, with both locked on .920, so difficult to separate them.

73

John G3XDY

On 08/09/2021 09:40, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:
[...]

Having that problem on 2.3GHz would be worth having alongside the ega DX that would be in progress John !
I do agree that coordination is required for best utilization of the Beacon Resource .

As a serial Beacon constructor , what really p...es me off are those individuals and Groups who obtain a licence and then sit on them for years doing nothing but complaining about not being able to make anything at all . Any beacon emission is better than dead air , well within a few Hz and recognisable modulation format , which is no longer Rocket stuf in the 21st Centuary.

If you cannot for any reason complete the task - return the Licence to RSGB , where I am sure there are many willing to do the job .

Just see what a drop of thundery WX can do  ,Ends rant .

John
G0API

On Wed, 8 Sept 2021 at 17:41, John Quarmby via groups.io <g3xdy=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

I understand that PI7ALK will be off shortly for some work, when it was
really strong yesterday both the 6cm and 3cm systems had strong spurs
±19.5kHz, and the 3cm one also had spurs ± 39KHz so Ruud PE1BTV is
organising a fix.

On a side note, some recent beacons based on PLL sources have high
levels of phase noise - OK under normal conditions but noticeable when
there is a strong tropo lift. Although PI7RTD wanders around, at least
it generates a clean signal!

Some work by the IARU on frequency coordination would be useful, as
PI7ALK is on the same frequency as DB0VC and not far off the same beam
heading, and PA3GCO is co-channel with OZ7IGY, again OK if no
enhancement but a problem with a big lift. Closer to home GB3FNM is
co-channel with DB0VC on 2320MHz, with both locked on .920, so difficult
to separate them.

73

John G3XDY

On 08/09/2021 09:40, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:
> They did a PI4 and GPSDO upgrade very recently and it is within a few
> Hz of .920 absolutely solid.  I wonder if it is just that the
> beaconspot info is wrong.  It certainly used to be all over the
> place.  Not quite as footloose as PI7RTD, which loves to go
> a-wanderin', but yeah, pretty random.
>
> That line of storms is a bit too far from me to be useful into France,
> we are basking in baking hot sunshine here in East Yorkshire.
>
> Neil G4DBN
>
> On 08/09/2021 10:20, John Fell wrote:
>> Hi Neil,
>> Check the historic spots made for this and other EU 10GHz beacons and
>> you will find they often are many kHz off the nominal listed frequency .
>> Has confused me out /P upt the Moors whilst providing liquid dinner
>> for local insects and having no local data to view .
>>
>> 73 John
>> G0API
>> Sat under a large T cell near Kingsbridge , S Devon - may be some
>> good long haul RS happening

Even worse. if they've got a site, and power, all ready to go and STILL do nothing.

On Wed, 8 Sept 2021 at 19:15, John Fell <john.g0api@...> wrote:
Having that problem on 2.3GHz would be worth having alongside the ega DX that would be in progress John !
I do agree that coordination is required for best utilization of the Beacon Resource .

As a serial Beacon constructor , what really p...es me off are those individuals and Groups who obtain a licence and then sit on them for years doing nothing but complaining about not being able to make anything at all . Any beacon emission is better than dead air , well within a few Hz and recognisable modulation format , which is no longer Rocket stuf in the 21st Centuary.

If you cannot for any reason complete the task - return the Licence to RSGB , where I am sure there are many willing to do the job .

Just see what a drop of thundery WX can do  ,Ends rant .

John
G0API

On Wed, 8 Sept 2021 at 17:41, John Quarmby via groups.io <g3xdy=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

I understand that PI7ALK will be off shortly for some work, when it was
really strong yesterday both the 6cm and 3cm systems had strong spurs
±19.5kHz, and the 3cm one also had spurs ± 39KHz so Ruud PE1BTV is
organising a fix.

On a side note, some recent beacons based on PLL sources have high
levels of phase noise - OK under normal conditions but noticeable when
there is a strong tropo lift. Although PI7RTD wanders around, at least
it generates a clean signal!

Some work by the IARU on frequency coordination would be useful, as
PI7ALK is on the same frequency as DB0VC and not far off the same beam
heading, and PA3GCO is co-channel with OZ7IGY, again OK if no
enhancement but a problem with a big lift. Closer to home GB3FNM is
co-channel with DB0VC on 2320MHz, with both locked on .920, so difficult
to separate them.

73

John G3XDY

On 08/09/2021 09:40, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:
> They did a PI4 and GPSDO upgrade very recently and it is within a few
> Hz of .920 absolutely solid.  I wonder if it is just that the
> beaconspot info is wrong.  It certainly used to be all over the
> place.  Not quite as footloose as PI7RTD, which loves to go
> a-wanderin', but yeah, pretty random.
>
> That line of storms is a bit too far from me to be useful into France,
> we are basking in baking hot sunshine here in East Yorkshire.
>
> Neil G4DBN
>
> On 08/09/2021 10:20, John Fell wrote:
>> Hi Neil,
>> Check the historic spots made for this and other EU 10GHz beacons and
>> you will find they often are many kHz off the nominal listed frequency .
>> Has confused me out /P upt the Moors whilst providing liquid dinner
>> for local insects and having no local data to view .
>>
>> 73 John
>> G0API
>> Sat under a large T cell near Kingsbridge , S Devon - may be some
>> good long haul RS happening

John Fell

Indeedy.
John

On Wed, 8 Sept 2021 at 19:19, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
> [...]

> Hz of .920 absolutely solid.  I wonder if it is just that the
> beaconspot info is wrong.  It certainly used to be all over the
> place.  Not quite as footloose as PI7RTD, which loves to go
> a-wanderin', but yeah, pretty random.
>
> That line of storms is a bit too far from me to be useful into France,
> we are basking in baking hot sunshine here in East Yorkshire.
>
> Neil G4DBN
>
> On 08/09/2021 10:20, John Fell wrote:
>> Hi Neil,
>> Check the historic spots made for this and other EU 10GHz beacons and
>> you will find they often are many kHz off the nominal listed frequency .
>> Has confused me out /P upt the Moors whilst providing liquid dinner
>> for local insects and having no local data to view .
>>
>> 73 John
>> G0API
>> Sat under a large T cell near Kingsbridge , S Devon - may be some

Tom GM8MJV

Or add in frustration - no local beacons >1.2GHz (that are audible GB3NGI) - East Cost scotland

Have the site, great take off SW - NW - N - NE, have power, antennas not issue - happy to apply for licence BUT so ‘cack handed’ the construction is beyond me. Any resources / Hardware modules around are well hidden.

Tom
GM8MJV - Edinburgh

On 8 Sep 2021, at 19:18, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

> [...]

> Hz of .920 absolutely solid.  I wonder if it is just that the
> beaconspot info is wrong.  It certainly used to be all over the
> place.  Not quite as footloose as PI7RTD, which loves to go
> a-wanderin', but yeah, pretty random.
>
> That line of storms is a bit too far from me to be useful into France,
> we are basking in baking hot sunshine here in East Yorkshire.
>
> Neil G4DBN
>
> On 08/09/2021 10:20, John Fell wrote:
>> Hi Neil,
>> Check the historic spots made for this and other EU 10GHz beacons and
>> you will find they often are many kHz off the nominal listed frequency .
>> Has confused me out /P upt the Moors whilst providing liquid dinner
>> for local insects and having no local data to view .
>>
>> 73 John
>> G0API
>> Sat under a large T cell near Kingsbridge , S Devon - may be some

David GM6BIG

Hi Tom,

careful what you wish for !

Will drop you an email soon...

Cheers, DAvid

On 8 Sep 2021, at 19:18, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@gmail.com <mailto:andy.g4jnt@gmail.com>> wrote:

Even worse. if they've got a site, and power, all ready to go and STILL do nothing.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com <http://www.g4jnt.com/>

<http://groups.io/> <g3xdy=btinternet.com@groups.io
<mailto:btinternet.com@groups.io>> wrote:

I understand that PI7ALK will be off shortly for some work,
when it was
really strong yesterday both the 6cm and 3cm systems had
strong spurs
±19.5kHz, and the 3cm one also had spurs ± 39KHz so Ruud
PE1BTV is
organising a fix.

On a side note, some recent beacons based on PLL sources have
high
levels of phase noise - OK under normal conditions but
noticeable when
there is a strong tropo lift. Although PI7RTD wanders around,
at least
it generates a clean signal!

Some work by the IARU on frequency coordination would be
useful, as
PI7ALK is on the same frequency as DB0VC and not far off the
same beam
heading, and PA3GCO is co-channel with OZ7IGY, again OK if no
enhancement but a problem with a big lift. Closer to home
GB3FNM is
co-channel with DB0VC on 2320MHz, with both locked on .920,
so difficult
to separate them.

73

John G3XDY

On 08/09/2021 09:40, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:
> They did a PI4 and GPSDO upgrade very recently and it is
within a few
> Hz of .920 absolutely solid.  I wonder if it is just that the
> beaconspot info is wrong.  It certainly used to be all over
the
> place.  Not quite as footloose as PI7RTD, which loves to go
> a-wanderin', but yeah, pretty random.
>
> That line of storms is a bit too far from me to be useful
into France,
> we are basking in baking hot sunshine here in East Yorkshire.
>
> Neil G4DBN
>
> On 08/09/2021 10:20, John Fell wrote:
>> Hi Neil,
>> Check the historic spots made for this and other EU 10GHz
beacons and
>> you will find they often are many kHz off the nominal
listed frequency .
>> Has confused me out /P upt the Moors whilst providing
liquid dinner
>> for local insects and having no local data to view .
>>
>> 73 John
>> G0API
>> Sat under a large T cell near Kingsbridge , S Devon - may
be some
>> good long haul RS happening

software.

Tom GM8MJV

Ohh could my xmas have come early ….

Tom

On 9 Sep 2021, at 07:45, David GM6BIG <gm6big@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

the
> place. Not quite as footloose as PI7RTD, which loves to go
> a-wanderin', but yeah, pretty random.
>
> That line of storms is a bit too far from me to be useful
into France,
> we are basking in baking hot sunshine here in East Yorkshire.
>
> Neil G4DBN
>
> On 08/09/2021 10:20, John Fell wrote:
>> Hi Neil,
>> Check the historic spots made for this and other EU 10GHz
beacons and
>> you will find they often are many kHz off the nominal
listed frequency .
>> Has confused me out /P upt the Moors whilst providing
liquid dinner
>> for local insects and having no local data to view .
>>
>> 73 John
>> G0API
>> Sat under a large T cell near Kingsbridge , S Devon - may

software.