Topics

New to me ...

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Finally picked up a nice power sensor and have a "slightly dysfunctional" meter for it coming, hopefully the meter is an easy fix.  This should address my power measurement guesstimates at least!

I also managed to get a "not quite accurate, but calibrated against a good standard"  diode head for the HP meter.   It's off by about 3dB, but the seller was a t&m collector and had access to some good standards to calibrate against, so while it is "out" at least I know how much it is "out" by!

I also picked up a nice Marconi/IFR 100khz to 20GHz sweeper/sig gen a while ago that addresses another missing piece of the puzzle ... just need a decent 26g analyzer now to add to the 1.8G HP and I think my thirst for measurement gear will be (temporarily) abated!

image.png

--
Best regards,

Robin Szemeti

Redpoint Consulting Limited

E: robin@...
T: +44 (0) 1299 405028
M: +44 (0) 7971 883371

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
confidential use of the above named recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient or person responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you have received this communication in error
and must not distribute or copy it.
Please accept the sender's apologies, notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail and delete this communication.

Thank you.

Clint Sharp

Hi, my name is Clint and I'm a Test Equipment Addict, I own two spectrum analysers, several power meters, heads, I've lost count of the number of scopes, multimeters, sig gens, sensors, adapters, analysers etc. etc. and I still cast covetous eyes on test equipment auctions, catalogues etc.

Just give in to it, it makes life easier.

On Wed, 21 Oct 2020, 22:39 Robin Szemeti - G1YFG, <robin@...> wrote:
[...]

Paul G8KFW

Hi Robin

Regarding the "slightly dysfunctional" meter

If you are talking about a Marconi  6960 B   then watch out for the IEC socket as it is also a mains filter  and  they have a tendency to go bang

I hade 3 Marconi  6960 B   on soak test  a few  years ago and within 48 hours 2 of the 3 blow their IEC mans filters replaced the IEC mans filters and all was OK

and don’t forget the Marconi lead is not compatible with the HP power meter

Re a 26 Ghz analyzer these tend to be expensive  suggest you look at a 18  or 22 Ghz analyser  but go for one with a preselector and external mixer facility

Then you can use an external mixer for 24 Ghz

A good combination is the HP 8569  and a HP 11970  wave guide mixer  either  the  18 – 26 Ghz  or the   26-40 Ghz   will be OK for 24 Ghz  as it is good to below 22 Ghz

A less expensive option is the HP8565  and this can use any single point external mixer as the dyplexer is inside the analyser

Feale free to PM me for more information on HP test equipment

Paul

[...]

Internal Virus Database is out of date.

--
Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Yep, 6960B, picked one up on eBay for £40,  apparently does  not recognise heads .. but its all fairly simple discrete logic etc, and he confirmed it did power up and run,  most likely a broken wire, they use different voltage zeners to select head type.

Thanks for the tip re HP leads/heads. I was going to just make up a lead fro the HP from plugs from Farnell.

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 00:47, Paul G8KFW <paul@...> wrote:

[...]

Regarding 6960B not recognising the sensor there is often a socket for the sensor on the back of the unit and this could be the one in use

just open it up and you can easily change it so the front socket is useable

Re leads

The Marconi use a special cable  but it appears that providing you use short lengths (1.5 Mt )   you can use nearly any think but better results ( less noise when using the low range )

are by using the lay of the cable so you don’t have input and driver signals next to each other

Never made up a HP cable  but again just keep the length short

The best plugs are made by Binder and sold by Farnell ( lovely company to deal with ) they have 3 versions and did cost between £10 and £15 each

Marconi started with the cheep version then went to the expensive version as they have a better cable grip

Regards Paul

[...]

No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

--
Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

The marconi head came with a lead, so I hope I am good for that.   I'll look for some combi cable with at least two screened cores to make up the HP lead.  I always knew thos connectors as "tuschel DIN" ... they were used on the ancient "storno 500" handhelds ...

I use farnell a lot, great company, my "go to" supplier for anything really.

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 02:35, Paul G8KFW <paul@...> wrote:

[...]

Well, Paul ... you were spot on.   I left the meter connected for a while and sure enough, it went bang, with the usual horrible smell from the mains filter.

It still has some other fault, I shall keep investigating.

[...]

OK on the Mains filter

Did I also mention there is a socket on the back for the power meter and a lot are configured not to use the socket on the front it can be easily changed inside

Regards Paul