New 241 GHz record (via F1VL)

Neil Smith G4DBN

Tks F1VL on hyperfr-ref for this news snippet from DB6NT and DK5NJ. Marvellous stuff

Neil G4DBN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVJC4lfpyuo

New IARU R1 record on 241 GHz. QSO 6 March 2020, 17.10 UTC between:

DK5NJ at JO50TI29JN 690m ASL Schwedenwache (DK0NA) and DB6NT at JO60GJ03MN 896m ASL Aschberg (Saxe).
Distance 63.987 km.
Reports 559/599.
Temp -1C, RH 45%.
Both receivers used a sub-harmonic mixer drive by a 120 GHz LO
Transmit power 20 mW
Both ends used 40 cm dishes with a gain of 57 dB and a beasmwidth of less than 0.25°
This was a line of sight path, and alignment was done using riflescopes
Signal strength was around 30dB over noise, suggesting the possibility that 100 km could have been achieved under those conditions.

militaryoperator

New IARU R1 record on 241 GHz. QSO 6 March 2020, 17.10 UTC between:
DK5NJ at JO50TI29JN 690m ASL Schwedenwache (DK0NA) and DB6NT at JO60GJ03MN 896m ASL Aschberg (Saxe).
Distance 63.987 km.
--------------------------------

Fantastic.

Best last night here in 432FMAC was just 62Km, with 50W to X5000 colinear at 50ft.

Mind you, someone got 112Km with 25W and a dipole......... apparently!.
I wonder how high the dipole was?

Seems I'm wasting my time and efforts in some respects.

Ben G4BXD

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I can usually work into netherlands/france/Jersey with 50W on 70cm from my location, and I have to beam through the hill that you sit on ... I was otherwise occupied on Tuesday, will be on 6m on Thursday though.

On 10/03/2021 11:22, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:

Seems I'm wasting my time and efforts in some respects.
Hi Ben, time spent playing on the radio is never wasted though. It is far better than time spent NOT playing on the radio...

I often struggled to make 50 km in the 432 FMAC using an 18-ele beam and my handheld, even with it vertical, so you are doing better than I was.

There is a lot of chat around how the 20 mW at 241 GHz was generated. With 57 dBi gain, that is a mighty EIRP, and then the little matter of climbing a mountain and having an optical path does tend to add a shedload of dBs to the signal!

Nel G4DBN

militaryoperator

I can usually work into netherlands/france/Jersey with 50W on 70cm from my location, and I have to beam through the hill that you sit on ... I was otherwise occupied on Tuesday, will be on 6m on Thursday though.

Fantastic.

Best last night here in 432FMAC was just 62Km, with 50W to X5000 colinear at 50ft.

Mind you, someone got 112Km with 25W and a dipole......... apparently!.
I wonder how high the dipole was?

Seems I'm wasting my time and efforts in some respects.

Ben G4BXD

_._,_._,_