From: david656179 via groups.io
Sent: 05 March 2021 11:25
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] Nano VNA SAA-2N and G3XDY QRO filter

Just finished the 2nd filter, these 0603 components are tricky and can fly long distances !!

Note to say that by setting different calibrated ranges for 1296 - 2592 and 3888 MHz on this VNA I was able to check the return loss at 1296 and tune for best dips at 2592 and 3888.  The point being that the VNA is listed as 3 GHz top frequency, mine appeared to go to 4 GHz.  Sure the readings might be inaccurate but if one is just tuning a filter for rejection, finding this extended range was a pleasant surprise.  I have not altered any of the firmware/software from purchase last Autumn, when I think i am right is saying John XDY, reported that there were several owners in the Ipswich area.  A remarkable unit for around £100 carriage paid.

David

geoffrey pike

The only snag is the time to sweep a filter and with the software i use i see no continuous sweep facility like
the NanoVNA has, but yes good value and very easy to use especially the calibration
 Geoff
GI0GDP

On Friday, 5 March 2021, 11:25:22 GMT, david656179 via groups.io <david.m.k@...> wrote:

Just finished the 2nd filter, these 0603 components are tricky and can fly long distances !!

Note to say that by setting different calibrated ranges for 1296 - 2592 and 3888 MHz on this VNA I was able to check the return loss at 1296 and tune for best dips at 2592 and 3888.  The point being that the VNA is listed as 3 GHz top frequency, mine appeared to go to 4 GHz.  Sure the readings might be inaccurate but if one is just tuning a filter for rejection, finding this extended range was a pleasant surprise.  I have not altered any of the firmware/software from purchase last Autumn, when I think i am right is saying John XDY, reported that there were several owners in the Ipswich area.  A remarkable unit for around £100 carriage paid.

David

david656179

Yes indeed a work of art and a very useful addition to the station.  Lucky you.   If I am lucky to live to get to another round table at Ipswich, I might well ask if John et al are able to check to see whether I did actually get them correctly set up. Roll on the day.

My main point was that this VNA was specification  to 3Ghz and yet I was using it up to 4GHz, which was a pleasant surprise.  I read somewhere that there are still later versions. I wonder if they also have ranges extended beyond the claimed maximum frequency range?

Colin Ranson

Hi David, I got an SAA-2N about a month ago and other than charge it and turn it on I have done nothing with. It is complex for this old brain so I will need to clear the decks and condition myself to learning. I need to properly tune my 73ele Quad Loop Yagi for 3.4GHz as well as tune up a filter.

Regards

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Yes indeed a work of art and a very useful addition to the station.  Lucky you.   If I am lucky to live to get to another round table at Ipswich, I might well ask if John et al are able to check to see whether I did actually get them correctly set up. Roll on the day.

My main point was that this VNA was specification  to 3Ghz and yet I was using it up to 4GHz, which was a pleasant surprise.  I read somewhere that there are still later versions. I wonder if they also have ranges extended beyond the claimed maximum frequency range?

Alan Melia

Hi Colin, there was a good article in Dubus a year or two back by W1GHZ I think which explains what you can do and how to do it.

Alan
G3NYK

Yes indeed a work of art and a very useful addition to the station.  Lucky you.   If I am lucky to live to get to another round table at Ipswich, I might well ask if John et al are able to check to see whether I did actually get them correctly set up. Roll on the day.

My main point was that this VNA was specification  to 3Ghz and yet I was using it up to 4GHz, which was a pleasant surprise.  I read somewhere that there are still later versions. I wonder if they also have ranges extended beyond the claimed maximum frequency range?

Dave G1EHF

The VNA SAA-2 series use the ADF4350 as source oscillators, which in theory will go to 4.4 GHz. Mine goes easily to 4 GHz, although the noise floor does start to increase above 3 GHz. That said, it can characterise a 9 cm filter or antenna easily if you're not after 70 dB of dynamic range!

73, Dave G1EHF

Brian Howie GM4DIJ

In message <29724.1615033813404469843@groups.io>, Dave G1EHF via groups.io <david.j.austen=btinternet.com@groups.io> writes
The VNA SAA-2 series use the ADF4350 as source oscillators, which in
theory will go to 4.4 GHz. Mine goes easily to 4 GHz, although the
noise floor does start to increase above 3 GHz. That said, it can
characterise a 9 cm filter or antenna easily if you're not after 70 dB
of dynamic range!
73, Dave G1EHF
I got a SAA-2N recently . Is there anything special you have to do to get it to go up there ?

Cheers

Brian GM4DIJ

--
Brian Howie

John Quarmby

Just select 4GHz as the upper frequency limit when setting the sweep range and do a calibration run prior to measurement. Dynamic range and accuracy may be a bit below spec but it does provide a good indication of what is going on.

73

John G3XDY

On 09/03/2021 11:23, Brian Howie GM4DIJ wrote:
In message <29724.1615033813404469843@groups.io>, Dave G1EHF via groups.io <david.j.austen=btinternet.com@groups.io> writes
The VNA SAA-2 series use the ADF4350 as source oscillators, which in
theory will go to 4.4 GHz. Mine goes easily to 4 GHz, although the
noise floor does start to increase above 3 GHz. That said, it can
characterise a 9 cm filter or antenna easily if you're not after 70 dB
of dynamic range!
73, Dave G1EHF
I got a SAA-2N recently . Is there anything special  you have to do to get it to go up there ?

Cheers

Brian GM4DIJ

Brian Howie GM4DIJ

In message <ed06f523-2948-2942-43b1-98f920dd8edf@btinternet.com>, John Quarmby via groups.io <g3xdy=btinternet.com@groups.io> writes

I tried it on a dummy load. I seems to be OK until about 3.8 then it's a bit noisy as was mentioned. The trace was a bit less lumpy after I calibrated it up to 4GHz.

Cheers

Brian GM4DIJ