Topics

Mow Cop WebSDR?

Neil Smith G4DBN

Looks like the dynamic DNS for Mow Cop WebSDR at http://mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org:8901 is not updating, so the service has disappeared. Anyone else having the same problem, or know if there is a fault or power cut or something?

According to the groups homepage, the head unit failed in 2015, no further updates since then.

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 at 20:49, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Looks like the dynamic DNS for Mow Cop WebSDR at
http://mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org:8901 is not updating, so the
service has disappeared. Anyone else having the same problem, or know if
there is a fault or power cut or something?

Peter G3SMT

Neil,

Just checked and it is working here fine with OSW  a good readable signal into it.

73

Peter  G3SMT

On 23/10/2020 20:49, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:
Looks like the dynamic DNS for Mow Cop WebSDR at http://mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org:8901 is not updating, so the service has disappeared. Anyone else having the same problem, or know if there is a fault or power cut or something?

Peter G3SMT

Colin G4EML

Same problem here Neil. It didn’t work for me when I tried it yesterday and still doesn’t.

Just comes up with an error message saying the server IP address could not be found.

Colin G4EML

Neil Smith G4DBN

It's been working flawlessly until the last time I used it a few days ago, I usually check the path every day or two and send myself a bit of JT9 and decode the received stream in lieu of finding anyone around on 3cm!

They use dyndns.org and the updates are not happening, at least not to my ISP or to Google DNS.

Peter, do you have the current IP address in your DNS cache if you do a ping to mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org without doing anything to trigger a new DNS lookup?

I can't even resolve it ising the domain's own dyndns.org nameservers.

Neil G4DBN

*** dns.google can't find mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org: Non-existent domain
> server 8.8.4.4
Default Server:  dns.google
Address:  8.8.4.4

> mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org
Server:  dns.google
Address:  8.8.4.4

*** dns.google can't find mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org: Non-existent domain
> server 1.1.1.1
Default Server:  one.one.one.one
Address:  1.1.1.1

> mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org
Server:  one.one.one.one
Address:  1.1.1.1

*** one.one.one.one can't find mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org: Non-existent domain
> server 208.76.61.3
Default Server:  ns1.dyndns.org
Address:  208.76.61.3

> mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org
Server:  ns1.dyndns.org
Address:  208.76.61.3

*** ns1.dyndns.org can't find mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org: Non-existent domain

Neil G4DBN

On 23/10/2020 21:04, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
According to the groups homepage, the head unit failed in 2015, no further updates since then.

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 at 20:49, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Looks like the dynamic DNS for Mow Cop WebSDR at
http://mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org:8901 is not updating, so the
service has disappeared. Anyone else having the same problem, or know if
there is a fault or power cut or something?

Neil
http://g4dbn.uk

Neil Smith G4DBN

There's a snap on the Wayback Machine, I've dropped a line to G7CKX.

Domain is still registered until July 2021 and there is a valid SOA record with TTL zero:

mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org SOA 0 ns1.dyndns.org hostmaster@... 2009188455 10800 1800 604800 1800

Ta, Neil

On 23/10/2020 21:56, Colin G4EML wrote:

Same problem here Neil. It didn’t work for me when I tried it yesterday and still doesn’t.

Just comes up with an error message saying the server IP address could not be found.

Colin G4EML

Peter G3SMT

Neil,

Just tried again with this address and no issues :-

WebSDR on Amateur Radio receiver in Stoke On Trent    http://212.57.225.9:8901/

Using your link it just times out.

73

Peter

On 23/10/2020 22:01, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:

It's been working flawlessly until the last time I used it a few days ago, I usually check the path every day or two and send myself a bit of JT9 and decode the received stream in lieu of finding anyone around on 3cm!

They use dyndns.org and the updates are not happening, at least not to my ISP or to Google DNS.

Peter, do you have the current IP address in your DNS cache if you do a ping to mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org without doing anything to trigger a new DNS lookup?

I can't even resolve it ising the domain's own dyndns.org nameservers.

Neil G4DBN

*** dns.google can't find mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org: Non-existent domain
> server 8.8.4.4
Address:  8.8.4.4

> mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org
Server:  dns.google
Address:  8.8.4.4

*** dns.google can't find mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org: Non-existent domain
> server 1.1.1.1
Address:  1.1.1.1

> mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org
Server:  one.one.one.one
Address:  1.1.1.1

*** one.one.one.one can't find mowcopsdr.boldlygoingnowhere.org: Non-existent domain
> server 208.76.61.3
Address:  208.76.61.3

--
Peter G3SMT

Neil Smith G4DBN

Thanks Peter, hearing myself as the usual level. Martin is aware and will check what is wrong with the DNS. He says the IP should remain as-is until there is a power cut.

Ta, Neil G4DBN

On 23/10/2020 22:32, Peter G3SMT via groups.io wrote:

Neil,

Just tried again with this address and no issues :-

WebSDR on Amateur Radio receiver in Stoke On Trent http://212.57.225.9:8901/

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Ah that's better, the IP address works fine  ... I may try and calibrate my 10GHz system against it ...  I suspect I am "a bit" off frequency ...

On Fri, 23 Oct 2020 at 23:09, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Thanks Peter, hearing myself as the usual level. Martin is aware and
will check what is wrong with the DNS. He says the IP should remain
as-is until there is a power cut.

Ta, Neil G4DBN

On 23/10/2020 22:32, Peter G3SMT via groups.io wrote:

> Neil,
>
> Just tried again with this address and no issues :-
>
> WebSDR on Amateur Radio receiver in Stoke On Trent
> http://212.57.225.9:8901/

It is a bit off as well Robin, I'll check the exact offset relative to mine, which is GPS locked.

Neil

On 23/10/2020 23:19, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
Ah that's better, the IP address works fine  ... I may try and calibrate my 10GHz system against it ...  I suspect I am "a bit" off frequency ...

Neil Smith G4DBN

I make it 377 Hz LF at the moment Robin. If I tx on 10368.890377 it comes out on .890 dead.

Give me a shout if you'd like to do a live comparison some time.

Neil G4DBN

On 23/10/2020 23:19, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
Ah that's better, the IP address works fine  ... I may try and calibrate my 10GHz system against it ...  I suspect I am "a bit" off frequency ...

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I suspect I am several 10's of khz adrift ...   I really need to find a way to injection lock the txvtr to a GPSDO, too many other projects on the go at the moment though.