Topics

MMIC's

Colin Ranson

Hi all,

I have repurposed a DDK 2008 L band source from 96MHz to 106.5MHz with an output of 1278MHz.  The original was extended to include a PGA103+ to bump up the output to feed a high level mixer.

Thinks ?  could I use this MMIC as a doubler to 2256MHz ? I understand from texts that it has to be operated in a non-linear fashion)  At the moment its biased to 3.5v and I have removed a level determining attenuator so I am hitting the MMIC quite hard. I am detecting very little at 2556MHz at the moment. (not enough to drive my Qualcom x 4 multiplier to 10.224GHz)

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure to set the bias to please ? And is this likely to work well enough ? I have not tried this method before so hopefully with enough 2256MHz I will include a ‘stop-end’ filter and enough gain to give me 3dbm at the Qualcom Mult input. Getting the 10dbm output (after filtering) for the mixer(s) will be another matter.

Best regards to all, keep those soldering irons hot !

Regards, Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Andy G4JNT

An MSA MMIC, a MSA-2 IIRC, was used as a frequency doubler in the Frequency Generation Unit on the Inmarsat-3 satellite back in the 1990s.
And if it's OK in space, is more than OK terrestrially!

Just bias it as normal, or perhaps to 50 - 75% of normal current, and drive to saturation.

I've done it as both tripler and quadrupler from 2.5 or 3.4GHz to 10GHz

Andy

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 14:04, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

[...]

Need tp add, that was with ERA devices.    The PGA is a somewhat lower frequency thingumybob  and perhaps not the best choice for a multiplier to S-Band

On Fri, 8 Jan 2021 at 14:47, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Andy,

I had forgotten the lowish gain at 2.5GHz,

I have some GALI-2, same case style, nice and robust , good to 8GHz, so will try one of those.

Will let you know how it works, or doesn’t !

Regards

Colin. G8LBS

[...]

geoffrey pike

Hi Colin,
Doing somethimg similar just to do something!, anyway DDK microwave source pcb 103.5 MHz Xtal output at 1242 MHz (this has needed a job so iam using it), this drives a MCL VNA-25 mmic at about 4dBm this then goes into a pipe cap filter at 2484 MHz, then another VNA-25 with -8dB ahead of it to give 14dBm at 2484 Mhz then into the W1MHZ quadrupler for about 8 dBm out at 9936 MHz to drive a Minicircuits mixer and mix with 432 MHz. The VNA-25 is a small outline 8 pin DIL device so a bit different to usuall mmic. About 14 dB gain and 17dBm out at 2,5 GHz.
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP

On Friday, 8 January 2021, 14:03:52 GMT, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Geoff,

Ha !   waiting for a couple of 35mm (or so) pipe caps to make a 2556MHz filter. I hope to align these using a noise source and my SAA-N2 VNA.  Wonder what size caps you used ? I have some 28mm here so it might be a toss-up between the two sizes.

Glad to see people on the RF make !

73’s   Colin.

[...]

Just one last thing Geoff,   did you use a 2 pole TOKO filter at 1242MHz or did you by-pass ? Maybe no need for a filter in that position if you are multiplying ?

Regards

Colin

[...]

Yes i did use a TOKO 2 pole filter for 1242 MHz and used a 28 mm pipe cap for X2.
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP

On Friday, 8 January 2021, 19:59:01 GMT, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Geoff,

Info appreciated.  I will try 28mm.

[...]

If you want a filter at 2.3/2.4GHz worth trying a piece of WG15 or WG14 as a comb line.   Use long 2BA/M4 screws as resonators across the guide,  screwed into the narrow face and work out the spacing and coupling/transformers using an online calculator / guessing / experimenting.

WG16 'can' be made to work, but the spacing from the far wall is so minute, tuning is near impossible.   Having said that, I have done it in WG16 for a couple of two section resonators - good enough for 144MHz IF -  and the filter has remained on frequency for years, but initial setting up was a nightmare.

On Sat, 9 Jan 2021 at 09:27, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

[...]

Andy, Thanks for that option, will research it.