MMIC

Colin Ranson

Evening all,

Can anyone please suggest an MMIC type device, 50ohm in – 50ohm out, for 70cm that will do at least 500mW ? Do such things exist ?     I need to get my 10m-70cm H/B transverter up to this level to drive my 13 & 9cm SG-Lab transverters. Appreciate there are other ‘not so simple’ ways of achieving this.

Night all,

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Stefan

Hi Colin

A suggestion to consider, if your drive level is low, simply change the transverters input attenuator to accomodate the lower drive requirement. Maybe there is a trimpot inside for that purpose?
regarding 500mW MMIC, there are amplifers on ebay that could be used, also some cable TV amplifers can do that sort of power, but really, why making something more complex if a simple resistor change would work?

Stefan VK4CSD

Can anyone please suggest an MMIC type device, 50ohm in – 50ohm out, for 70cm that will do at least 500mW ? Do such things exist ?     I need to get my 10m-70cm H/B transverter up to this level to drive my 13 & 9cm SG-Lab transverters. Appreciate there are other ‘not so simple’ ways of achieving this.

Night all,

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

On Mon, 5 Apr 2021 at 23:20, Stefan <comlab@...> wrote:
[...]

Alan Melia

Colin give me a little time I may have something that will do ......however I dont think it is 50in/50out. Most of the MMICs I have are good for about  13dBm max

Alan
G3NYK

Can anyone please suggest an MMIC type device, 50ohm in – 50ohm out, for 70cm that will do at least 500mW ? Do such things exist ?     I need to get my 10m-70cm H/B transverter up to this level to drive my 13 & 9cm SG-Lab transverters. Appreciate there are other ‘not so simple’ ways of achieving this.

Night all,

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Neil Smith G4DBN

I've modified all of my transverters to run on about 50 mW on the IF port. It seems madness to generate a pile of RF at the IF frequency only to use it to shove unwanted heat into the transverter.  I even did it with a brand new Kuhne 13cm G4. Warranty? Ha!

The F6BVA 3cm to UHF transverter kits I'm putting together have a  choice of resistors in the attenuator to run 25-250 mW or 0.5-5 watts at the IF.

Neil G4DBN

On 05/04/2021 23:20, Stefan wrote:
Hi Colin

A suggestion to consider, if your drive level is low, simply change the transverters input attenuator to accomodate the lower drive requirement. Maybe there is a trimpot inside for that purpose?
regarding 500mW MMIC, there are amplifers on ebay that could be used, also some cable TV amplifers can do that sort of power, but really, why making something more complex if a simple resistor change would work?

Gordon REASON <gordonj.reason@...>

PM211

On 05 April 2021 at 23:12 Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Evening all,

Can anyone please suggest an MMIC type device, 50ohm in – 50ohm out, for 70cm that will do at least 500mW ? Do such things exist ?     I need to get my 10m-70cm H/B transverter up to this level to drive my 13 & 9cm SG-Lab transverters. Appreciate there are other ‘not so simple’ ways of achieving this.

Night all,

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gordon REASON <gordonj.reason@...>

or , SHF-0289    1 watt device .........

On 05 April 2021 at 23:12 Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Evening all,

Can anyone please suggest an MMIC type device, 50ohm in – 50ohm out, for 70cm that will do at least 500mW ? Do such things exist ?     I need to get my 10m-70cm H/B transverter up to this level to drive my 13 & 9cm SG-Lab transverters. Appreciate there are other ‘not so simple’ ways of achieving this.

Night all,

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Ah I did't read as far as "to drive transverters" ... in that case, I would recommend modifying the transverters as Neil suggested for lower drive levels ... makes a lot of sense really, as the first thing they will do with that 0,5W is reduce it to around 0dBm anyway ...

On Tue, 6 Apr 2021 at 00:27, Gordon REASON via groups.io <gordonj.reason=virgin.net@groups.io> wrote:

or , SHF-0289    1 watt device .........

On 05 April 2021 at 23:12 Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Evening all,

Can anyone please suggest an MMIC type device, 50ohm in – 50ohm out, for 70cm that will do at least 500mW ? Do such things exist ?     I need to get my 10m-70cm H/B transverter up to this level to drive my 13 & 9cm SG-Lab transverters. Appreciate there are other ‘not so simple’ ways of achieving this.

Night all,

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

John Lemay

Colin

I recently modified my 9cms SG Labs transverter for lower drive level:

If you follow the component layout from the IF port there is a pie (pye?) network attenuator in the transmit path, It comprises a shunt resistor (bank of 8 x 470 ohms), a series resistor of 2 x 200 ohms and a final shunt resistor of 200 ohms. I placed a low value resistor “piggy-back” style on top of one of the series resistors – job done. And the mod is easily reversible. I don’t recall the actual value of resistor I used but it was around 20 to 30 ohms – I wanted a physical size that fitted neatly across the existing resistor.

This does mean that the input impedance is no longer 50 ohms, but I decided that wasn’t mission critical.

John G4ZTR

[...]

Stephen Tompsett

Pi = π

On 06/04/2021 08:23, John Lemay wrote:

[...]

Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)
Tel: 01788 578940
Mob: 07956 855816

John Quarmby

One thing to bear in mind is that devices with 50 ohm Zin Zout without matching constrains the maximum output power. Devices that run on a 5V rail and offer good S11 and S22 all produce saturated outputs of 250mW or less for that reason. The PHA-13HLN uses an 8V rail, others have S22 which is far from 50 ohms and need a matching network to achieve maximum output.

Heatsinking SOT-89 packages running at dissipations of several hundred milliwatts or more needs a thin PTH board with many vias and possibly some form of heatsink on the reverse of the board.

Modifying the SG-Labs for lower drive is going to be simpler and and reduces the chances of locals wondering who you are working on 70cm that they can't hear!

73

John G3XDY
On 05/04/2021 22:12, Colin Ranson wrote:

Evening all,

Can anyone please suggest an MMIC type device, 50ohm in – 50ohm out, for 70cm that will do at least 500mW ? Do such things exist ?     I need to get my 10m-70cm H/B transverter up to this level to drive my 13 & 9cm SG-Lab transverters. Appreciate there are other ‘not so simple’ ways of achieving this.

Night all,

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Colin Ranson

John, thanks for that, looked at the transverters this morning and wondered about ‘mullering’ the board !

Regards