Milled boxes

Colin Ranson

Can anyone please confirm these are the correct milled box from RF Microwave in Italy to take the ‘Franco’ 10GHz pre-amp ?

If not the only other one they supplied is no longer available.

73’s

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10 pro

Lee West (G4TNX)

I may as well throw my hat in the ring as well for some boards and have the same question about the box?

Cheers
Lee G4TNX

On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 at 22:15, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Can anyone please confirm these are the correct milled box from RF Microwave in Italy to take the ‘Franco’ 10GHz pre-amp ?

73’s

Colin de G8LBS.

Colin G4EML

I don’t think any of the boxes are specifically made for the preamps. 
That milled box is actually quite large. 

On 17 Jul 2021, at 22:15, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

<C5ECBD5A6E484E7ABE14398A8D31ADB9.jpg>

73’s

Colin de G8LBS.

Colin Ranson

Thanks Colin, I did have my doubts.... looks like its a Schubert tin plate box from G3NYK.

73’s de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: 18 July 2021 19:16
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Milled boxes

73’s

Colin de G8LBS.

Alan Melia

Well you can seam-solder the ground to the enclosure with those ! :-))  I always wondered what was so majik about milled ali boxes for microwaves.     Sour grapes ??   mabe

It might almose be cheaper to buy a current LNB (CPC?) and rip the pcb out replacing the chip if you can find a better one. There doeant look anything special about Franco's boards. I think I have seen examples on Peter's G3PHO web pages, from a few years back.

But waddereyeknow.....I only sell tin boxes :-))

Alan
G3NYK

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2021 7:27 PM

Thanks Colin, I did have my doubts.... looks like its a Schubert tin plate box from G3NYK.

73’s de G8LBS.

73’s

Colin de G8LBS.

Colin G4EML

You are right Alan, any modern LNB will have a good amplifier at the front end, possibly with a better noise figure. I think the only real benefit of the Franco boards is that they are fairly old technology and therefore somewhat larger and easier to modify than some of the modern LNBs.

Colin G4EML

Sent: 18 July 2021 21:15

Well you can seam-solder the ground to the enclosure with those ! :-))  I always wondered what was so majik about milled ali boxes for microwaves.     Sour grapes ??   mabe

It might almose be cheaper to buy a current LNB (CPC?) and rip the pcb out replacing the chip if you can find a better one. There doeant look anything special about Franco's boards. I think I have seen examples on Peter's G3PHO web pages, from a few years back.

Alan

G3NYK

73’s de G8LBS.

73’s

Colin de G8LBS.

Alan Melia

Hi Colin Ah yes the grain of salt SMD components, about 100years ago in the days when we had rallies I started to buy old LNBs to play with, so I know what mean about older technology. the only thing I found was that rally vendors wanted more for their old 'probably not working' LNBs that the cost of a new one! But it was quite educational..I even got one with flanged WG17 on it.

Alan
G3NYK

Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2021 9:34 PM

You are right Alan, any modern LNB will have a good amplifier at the front end, possibly with a better noise figure. I think the only real benefit of the Franco boards is that they are fairly old technology and therefore somewhat larger and easier to modify than some of the modern LNBs.

Colin G4EML

Alan

G3NYK

73’s de G8LBS.

73’s

Colin de G8LBS.

David Redman

The bulk buy order to RF Microwave has now been placed.

Once I have received the parts and repacked for onward UK shipment ( Royal Mail ) I will send individual e-mails those who have placed firm orders with me to advise them of the final cost and payment details. ( send nothing before then )

Dave
G4IDR

On Sun, 18 Jul 2021 at 21:54, Alan Melia via groups.io <Alan.Melia=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Colin Ah yes the grain of salt SMD components, about 100years ago in the days when we had rallies I started to buy old LNBs to play with, so I know what mean about older technology. the only thing I found was that rally vendors wanted more for their old 'probably not working' LNBs that the cost of a new one! But it was quite educational..I even got one with flanged WG17 on it.

Alan
G3NYK

Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2021 9:34 PM

Colin G4EML

Alan

G3NYK

73’s de G8LBS.

73’s

Colin de G8LBS.