Midlands Round Table

Paul G8AQA

Midlands Round Table – Saturday 3rd December 2022

This year’s event will take place on the
Saturday and follow much the same format as previous events. The day will follow a relaxed schedule with talks aimed primarily at UKuG, BATC and AMSAT interests and other innovative areas of amateur radio.

Test and Fix

Test equipment will be available for noise, power and spectral measurements. There will be soldering facilities including hot air systems for work on SMD. The ‘Portsdown clinic’ will help people get things working.

Goodies!

There will be tables provided free of charge for the junk sale and for any free stuff you wish to give away. A sack truck will be on hand so don’t be shy! The BATC shop will be open for business, offering PCBs and hard to find components.

Demonstration Station

Throughout the day there will be a QO100 ground station setup to demonstrate the use of this satellite and for on-air testing of receiver and transmitter components.

Location and Times

The event is being held at Eaton Manor, Eaton-under-Heywood, Church Stretton, Shropshire. SY6 7DH.

The event venue will be open from 9:00 am, proceedings will start at 10:00 am.

Details of location and estate plan can be found here:

https://www.eatonmanor.co.uk/location/how-to-find-us/

Further Info

https://www.eatonmanor.co.uk/midlands-microwave-round-table-event/

Food and Drink

There is an admission charge of £15 per head to cover the venue hire, lighting and heating. Admission includes a two course sit down lunch (vegetarian option available on request at time of booking), all day teas and coffees etc. This must be paid in advance but will be refunded if you have to isolate due to covid.

Accommodation

This year two houses have been reserved for those wishing to make a weekend of the event. These will be available from 4pm on Friday with latest check-out by 10am on Monday morning. For details of the heavily discounted accommodation rate and availability please telephone Paul G8AQA on: 01694 771441.

Payment

Payment for day admission and accommodation is by the same means.

Preferred payment method is by bank transfer to:

Paul Nickalls 20-53-22 53708810

Paypal paulnick@... Please use friends and family to avoid fees.

(Cash may also be accepted in grubby brown envelopes by arrangement)

Day 2 – Sunday 4th December (optional)

There is no formal activity planned for Sunday and depends on the mood of the masses (few intrepid souls). Previously we have operated from the Long Mynd and the Brown Clee (the highest point in Shropshire). At this time of year a lot will depend on the weather. There is no scheduled activity planned for that day, so please indicate if you have a band of interest that you wish to air so that reciprocal stations can be organised if possible.

The venue will also be available at no additional cost for continued construction, fault finding and further chat while finishing the last of the biscuits and mince pies. Tea and coffee will be available, but no food is being served, pub lunch anyone…?

Contact

If you have any questions or requests, please ask.

Paul Nickalls G8AQA

Holy Mill

Longville

Much Wenlock

TF13 6ED

01694 771 441

On-site contact

John Cariss G7ACD 07816 643925

Dave G8GKQ

Noel G8GTZ and I will be attending, and we plan to have the BATC Shop there so that you can purchase items at "rally" prices (cash only!). Please pre-notify me (by replying here) if you will want any Portsdown or Ryde SD Cards so that we can get them made up beforehand.

I will also be taking the some test equipment so that I can run a Portsdown/Ryde clinic and measure the Noise Figure of receive preamps and transverters. Please note that if you want to measure the Noise Figure of any device for 13 cms and above, it will need to have a down-converted output at 1300 MHz or below for input to my test set-up.

Please reply here if you are bringing equipment for test, fix-it or measurement. Then I will know what equipment to bring and, more importantly, what not to bring.

Looking forward to an interesting day.

Dave, G8GKQ

militaryoperator

I will also be taking the some test equipment so that I can run a Portsdown/Ryde clinic and measure the Noise Figure of receive preamps and transverters. Please note that if you want to measure the Noise Figure of any device for 13 cms and above, it will need to have a down-converted output at 1300 MHz or below for input to my test set-up.

Dave, G8GKQ

Could you measure NF/GAIN on  6Cm TRVRT with a 432 IF?

Ben

Dave G8GKQ

Yes Ben.

Although accuracy probably =/- 1dB at best. But a good indication.

Dave

davidm0ghz

Will there be power measurement for 24GHz?  I'd like to check my Wavelab transverter is transmitting.

73 David M0GHZ

Paul G8AQA

Hi David,

What connector will you be using at that frequency and what power level will you be expecting?
I have an HP 8485D power head and a 33340C 20db attenuator. The power sensor is 100pW to 10 uw i.e max -20dBm. and has 3.5 mm connectors.  We may need more attenuators but my others only go up to 18GHz at 5W.
I have assumed that you want coaxial and not waveguide.  I would have to rummage through my waveguide bits.

73
Paul G8AQA

On 27/11/2022 14:06, davidm0ghz via groups.io wrote:

Will there be power measurement for 24GHz?  I'd like to check my Wavelab transverter is transmitting.

73 David M0GHZ

davidm0ghz

On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 10:24 AM, Paul G8AQA wrote:
HP 8485D
Hi Paul, It's SMA connection and power could be as much as 2W. Don't worry if you haven't the neccessary attenuators to make a measurement, it would have been useful to check but not essential.

73 David M0GHZ

Paul G8AQA

No problem.  The 5W 18GHz attenuator should be near enough to give an indication.  Sometimes the attenuation is slightly reduced at higher frequencies. I don't know what others find.  We might be able to calibrate it.

73
Paul G8AQA

On 28/11/2022 14:11, davidm0ghz via groups.io wrote:

On Sun, Nov 27, 2022 at 10:24 AM, Paul G8AQA wrote:
HP 8485D
Hi Paul, It's SMA connection and power could be as much as 2W. Don't worry if you haven't the neccessary attenuators to make a measurement, it would have been useful to check but not essential.

73 David M0GHZ

Gareth G4XAT

I have the Wavelab transverter up and running too, I'd like its power measuring if possible.
Thanks
Gareth

Paul G8AQA

Bring it along. The doors open at 09:00. We can be there quite late. Bring a PSU.

73
Paul

On 29/11/2022 14:08, Gareth G4XAT via groups.io wrote:

I have the Wavelab transverter up and running too, I'd like its power measuring if possible.
Thanks
Gareth

John G8IKP

Will anyone have a wavelab set up so we could plug in and test our modules ? As this is quite a hot project ATM.  John G8IKP

Rob Johnston - G7MHF

Will there be any facility to test a 24Ghz antenna

Paul G8AQA

I hope so.
Paul

On 30/11/2022 16:46, Rob Johnston - G7MHF wrote:

Will there be any facility to test a 24Ghz antenna

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I may drag a 24G (ish) antenna and my 10G antenna down .. I don't really have a mount made up for 24G, but it has a bracket ...kinda.

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 at 18:58, Paul G8AQA via groups.io <paulnick=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
I hope so.
Paul

On 30/11/2022 16:46, Rob Johnston - G7MHF wrote:
Will there be any facility to test a 24Ghz antenna

Roger Ray

With Noise figure being measured at the RT. I can bring a 1-50G source, if anyone wants to measure 24 or 47G? Even higher up to 110G if there is demand?

Roger

G8CUB

Sent from Mail for Windows

Dave G8GKQ

Yes please Roger – I would like an idea of how my 18 GHz noise source performs at 24 GHz.

I take it that it is 28v drive?

Thanks

Dave

With Noise figure being measured at the RT. I can bring a 1-50G source, if anyone wants to measure 24 or 47G? Even higher up to 110G if there is demand?

Roger

G8CUB

Sent from Mail for Windows

Roger Ray

The noise source is an HP356C K01, ie normal drive. It has a 2.4mm connector, but will bring adaptor to 2.92mm.

Roger

Sent from Mail for Windows

With Noise figure being measured at the RT. I can bring a 1-50G source, if anyone wants to measure 24 or 47G? Even higher up to 110G if there is demand?

Roger

G8CUB

Sent from Mail for Windows

davidm0ghz

A big thank you to John & Nicky and Paul & Heather for organising this great event.  Interesting talks, great food, test facilities and company.  The antenna test range was particularly useful so thanks to Brian G4NNS for providing the equipment and to Noel G8GTZ for running it.

73 David M0GHZ

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Seconded, an excellent day out.

On Mon, 5 Dec 2022 at 10:05, davidm0ghz via groups.io <m0ghz.david=dsl.pipex.com@groups.io> wrote:
A big thank you to John & Nicky and Paul & Heather for organising this great event.  Interesting talks, great food, test facilities and company.  The antenna test range was particularly useful so thanks to Brian G4NNS for providing the equipment and to Noel G8GTZ for running it.

73 David M0GHZ

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

Many thanks to everyone who helped organise all aspects of yesterday, a very productive day for me in many respects.
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!