Microwaves and Machining talk today at 1 pm

Neil Smith G4DBN

Just a shameless plug for my RSGB Convention talk at 1pm today on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBUTCFlA-nU

or https://www.youtube.com/user/TheRSGB and go to the Learn More About stream

The talk will be on the RSGB Youtube page and on my own YT at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnyaFjtCzBls96RvD4Eytwg from this evening

Neil G4DBN

MrBritdog

Thanks Neil
Steve
G1PPA

On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 at 12:09, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Just a shameless plug for my RSGB Convention talk at 1pm today on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBUTCFlA-nU

or https://www.youtube.com/user/TheRSGB and go to the Learn More About
stream

The talk will be on the RSGB Youtube page and on my own YT at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnyaFjtCzBls96RvD4Eytwg from this evening

Neil G4DBN

Denis Stanton G0OLX

Neil
Like by forward to it
Denis
G0OLX

On 9 Oct 2021, at 12:11, MrBritdog <britdog3@...> wrote:

Thanks Neil
Steve
G1PPA

On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 at 12:09, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Just a shameless plug for my RSGB Convention talk at 1pm today on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBUTCFlA-nU

or https://www.youtube.com/user/TheRSGB and go to the Learn More About
stream

The talk will be on the RSGB Youtube page and on my own YT at
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnyaFjtCzBls96RvD4Eytwg from this evening

I've put up a copy of the core of the talk with proper (not auto-generated) subtitles on my Youtube page at https://youtu.be/7GINqOnwxCc

Huge props to the technical team for their support and making it a very smooth and stress-free operation.

I failed miserably to  press the right button to show the "Look for more info here" and give my thanks to all of the Youtube machinists who taught me most of what I know, and particularly to Bob Cawley of the Post Office Factories Division for showing me the mysteries of surface grinding and how to file a bit of 1 inch steel bar flat to within a thou.  Bob died in 2019 at the age of 91.

Now I can get back to making stuff instead of being a film-maker and presenter.  Hello backlog my old friend...

Neil G4DBN

MrBritdog

Great talk you mate very professional
And enjoyable,
Cheers steve
G1PPA

On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 at 15:17, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
I've put up a copy of the core of the talk with proper (not
auto-generated) subtitles on my Youtube page at https://youtu.be/7GINqOnwxCc

Huge props to the technical team for their support and making it a very
smooth and stress-free operation.

I failed miserably to  press the right button to show the "Look for more
info here" and give my thanks to all of the Youtube machinists who
taught me most of what I know, and particularly to Bob Cawley of the
Post Office Factories Division for showing me the mysteries of surface
grinding and how to file a bit of 1 inch steel bar flat to within a
thou.  Bob died in 2019 at the age of 91.

Now I can get back to making stuff instead of being a film-maker and
presenter.  Hello backlog my old friend...

Most enjoyable.  You're right on the machinery, a good bit of old cast iron is always a good choice.

If you are interested in electroplating/anodising/electrochemistry  I recommend you get a copy of "Canning Handbook"  .. it is a uniquely useful reference, with many recipes, calculations, process descriptions etc etc. It's the book that the chemists in plating companies refer to.

On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 at 15:30, MrBritdog <britdog3@...> wrote:
[...]

There is a well-thumbed 1982 hardback copy on my bookshelf. Front leaf has "R Williams MIMF 1984", Institute of Metal Finishing I guess?  It's a bit like the Machinerys Handbook, although only two inches thick, not three, and sits next to Horowitz and Hill,  "Watchmaking" by George Daniels and the Technical Handbook for Satellite Monitoring.

There are suspicious brown stains on it, centred around the pages about Problems with Cadmium Plating.  Oooooooooo.

Neil G4DBN

On 09/10/2021 22:16, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:

If you are interested in electroplating/anodising/electrochemistry  I recommend you get a copy of "Canning Handbook"  .. it is a uniquely useful reference, with many recipes, calculations, process descriptions etc etc. It's the book that the chemists in plating companies refer to.

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Then you have the source of all knowledge :)

My business partner for many years was more interested in electrochemistry than electronics and after moving to the USA now runs a successful anodising business where he is able to use his fascination with electrochemistry to good effect.

As a bonus we no longer have to have his pet project, a fishtank full of cyanical silver plating solution hanging around the workshop ...which I am almost beginning to wish we still had.

On Sat, 9 Oct 2021 at 22:30, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
There is a well-thumbed 1982 hardback copy on my bookshelf. Front leaf
has "R Williams MIMF 1984", Institute of Metal Finishing I guess?  It's
a bit like the Machinerys Handbook, although only two inches thick, not
three, and sits next to Horowitz and Hill,  "Watchmaking" by George
Daniels and the Technical Handbook for Satellite Monitoring.

There are suspicious brown stains on it, centred around the pages about
Problems with Cadmium Plating.  Oooooooooo.

Neil G4DBN

On 09/10/2021 22:16, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:

> If you are interested in electroplating/anodising/electrochemistry  I
> recommend you get a copy of "Canning Handbook"  .. it is a uniquely
> useful reference, with many recipes, calculations, process
> descriptions etc etc. It's the book that the chemists in plating
> companies refer to.

Paul G8AQA

I met George Daniels at an old car club meeting in a pub on the Welsh Border. I didn't know who he was at the time but had an interesting conversation on wear in escapements. I would love to have had him design and make a watch for me but I didn't have the spare £100k at the time.  "Watchmaking" sits next to "All in Good Time" his autobiography. A fascinating read.

My "Canning Handbook" 1960 edition sits elsewhere next to Johnson Matthey "Electroplating Data" which has sections on Gold, Rhodium, Palladium and Silver plating for contact purposes.

Paul G8AQA