Topics

MEMS switches

Greg - ZL3IX

These were mentioned by Andy JNT in his Design Ideas for the Dec RadCom.

I looked on the Menlo web site but only see 3 devices, all of them more complex than the SPDT we normally need for amateur designs. Does anyone know of any similar, but simpler, devices? Also any idea of price?

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

What sort of frequency range, power level? You can always just ignore the extra pins ...

I have been using the "Skytronics" T/R switch SKY13330-397LF  seems to work fine in my application.  This is a 12 pin device, but implements the traditional T/R switch with low loss and simple control.  £0.70 from Mouser.

They do higher power stuff too:

What is nice about that Menlo device is it is an actual teeny-weeny mechanical switch. That's pretty amazing technology when you think about it!

On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 at 05:04, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:
These were mentioned by Andy JNT in his Design Ideas for the Dec RadCom.

I looked on the Menlo web site but only see 3 devices, all of them more complex than the SPDT we normally need for amateur designs. Does anyone know of any similar, but simpler, devices? Also any idea of price?

Greg - ZL3IX

Two problems with the SKY devices. Firstly I want to use them at 10 GHz, and SKY only does 6 GHz. Secondly I've had problems getting the SKY devices to work. Not sure if they're unusually static sensitive, but my success rate was only about 30% when I assembled my 1.3 GHz transverter.

Murray Niman

Menlo used to have more simpler designs, but there was no profit/demand vs alternatives, so they are no longer offered.   RFMEMS is littered with industrial failure , so they have been astute in their history and targets.

As a former RFMEMS engineer, am impressed with their offerings, but do watch the small print.

The Menlo tech is akin a DC contacting relay in miniature , so not rated for live hot switching on most of its specs.

Other RFMEMS can sometimes use so called capacitive contacts for high frequency work (but no DC metal-metal contacts)

73

    Murray G6JYB