marking out on metal

militaryoperator

Whats the stuff called you can paint on metal so you can see the scribe marks easily? and then wipes off with spirits or such. 

Ben

Dave

It’s called Marking Blue. 
Dave G4GLT. 

On 19 Jun 2021, at 17:41, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944@...> wrote:

Whats the stuff called you can paint on metal so you can see the scribe marks easily? and then wipes off with spirits or such. 

Ben

Gareth G4XAT

Permanent Blue chisel tip felt marker/sharpie much handier these days for small jobs...
Gareth

Neil Douglas

Ben,

Marking Blue is the proper stuff, but I just use a blue chunky Sharpie Marker pen.

NeilD G4SHJ

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of militaryoperator via groups.io
Sent: 19 June 2021 17:42
To: ukmicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] marking out on metal

Ben

Neil Smith G4DBN

Gareth is spot on, I use a Sharpie on small stuff and a big chisel tip marker for medium stuff.

I have a pot of Dykem Red for aluminium and Dykem Blue for brass or steel where a marker doesn't fit the bill.  It comes with a brush in the lid and wipes off with Acetone.

Neil G4DBN

On 19/06/2021 18:21, Gareth G4XAT via groups.io wrote:
Permanent Blue chisel tip felt marker/sharpie much handier these days for small jobs...

militaryoperator

Gareth is spot on, I use a Sharpie on small stuff and a big chisel tip
marker for medium stuff.
I have a pot of Dykem Red for aluminium and Dykem Blue for brass or
steel where a marker doesn't fit the bill.  It comes with a brush in the
lid and wipes off with Acetone.
Neil G4DBN

---------------------

Thanks all. I thought it was Marking blue, been years since I've been near a machine shop, good old British Steel days, long gone, but looking for Marking Blue on ebay threw up stuff I wasn't sure about. 

Still thinking of a milling toy but have bought myself some new bits for the filter build, a new scribe, punch, hacksaw blades, ali tubing and rod, I have the brass bolts already and sockets so a nice day in the shed planned. 

cheers, Ben.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Seems just about everywhere in the UK is out of stock of Dykem Layout Blue with a brush in the cap  Those fat chisel tip felt pens are a good alternative. Another thing that works is a decent drop of the blood of a machine shop apprentice. Allegedly.
Neil G4DBN

ian hope (2E0IJH)

https://www.toolstation.com/marxman-pen/p59010?store=AZ&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=515847200339&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwoXZ-tKk8QIVdwIGAB3l3gw5EAQYASABEgL-nfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Try one of those use them doing electrical work, works fine on metal trunking, consumer units etc, might get you out of a hole

Ian
M5IJH

Sent: Saturday, June 19, 2021 at 10:31 PM
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] marking out on metal
Seems just about everywhere in the UK is out of stock of Dykem Layout Blue with a brush in the cap  Those fat chisel tip felt pens are a good alternative. Another thing that works is a decent drop of the blood of a machine shop apprentice. Allegedly.
Neil G4DBN

Neil Smith G4DBN

The critical feature needed is that you can cover a large area without any seam lines, and that the ink can hold a very fine line with no tearing as you scribe layout lines through the ink layer. Some inks form a film which can form jagged edges when scribed or have imperfect adhesion. Sharpie ink seems good in both respects.

I love those deep hole markers though. Great for deep holes.

Neil G4DBN

On 19 Jun 2021 22:34, "ian hope (2E0IJH)" <ian@...> wrote:

https://www.toolstation.com/marxman-pen/p59010?store=AZ&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=515847200339&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwoXZ-tKk8QIVdwIGAB3l3gw5EAQYASABEgL-nfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Try one of those use them doing electrical work, works fine on metal trunking, consumer units etc, might get you out of a hole

Alan

Neil

“Clickspring” did many tests for layout fluids that were available long time ago, Blood was very good!

He was rebuilding  a copy of the Antikythera Mechanism using home made tooling including files. Some of the methods are discussed under “AntiKythera Fragments” , the one on marking out is  here.

Something very different!

Alan

G8LCO

Groups.io Links:

You receive all messages sent to this group.

View/Reply Online (#63071) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [g8lco1@...]

_._,_._,_

Dave G6HEF

This.

OK, a marker pen does work, but like everything, you can't beat the real thing.