marking out on metal

militaryoperator

Whats the stuff called you can paint on metal so you can see the scribe marks easily? and then wipes off with spirits or such.

Ben

Dave

It’s called Marking Blue.
73
Dave G4GLT.

On 19 Jun 2021, at 17:41, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944@...> wrote:

Whats the stuff called you can paint on metal so you can see the scribe marks easily? and then wipes off with spirits or such.

Ben

Gareth G4XAT

Permanent Blue chisel tip felt marker/sharpie much handier these days for small jobs...
Gareth

Neil Douglas

Ben,

Marking Blue is the proper stuff, but I just use a blue chunky Sharpie Marker pen.

NeilD G4SHJ

From: "Neil Smith G4DBN" <neil@...>
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] marking out on metal
Seems just about everywhere in the UK is out of stock of Dykem Layout Blue with a brush in the cap  Those fat chisel tip felt pens are a good alternative. Another thing that works is a decent drop of the blood of a machine shop apprentice. Allegedly.

The critical feature needed is that you can cover a large area without any seam lines, and that the ink can hold a very fine line with no tearing as you scribe layout lines through the ink layer. Some inks form a film which can form jagged edges when scribed or have imperfect adhesion. Sharpie ink seems good in both respects.

I love those deep hole markers though. Great for deep holes.

Neil G4DBN

On 19 Jun 2021 22:34, "ian hope (2E0IJH)" <ian@...> wrote:

https://www.toolstation.com/marxman-pen/p59010?store=AZ&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=515847200339&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwoXZ-tKk8QIVdwIGAB3l3gw5EAQYASABEgL-nfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Try one of those use them doing electrical work, works fine on metal trunking, consumer units etc, might get you out of a hole

Alan

Neil

“Clickspring” did many tests for layout fluids that were available long time ago, Blood was very good!

He was rebuilding  a copy of the Antikythera Mechanism using home made tooling including files. Some of the methods are discussed under “AntiKythera Fragments” , the one on marking out is  here.

Something very different!

73

Alan

G8LCO

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#63071) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic
Your Subscription | Contact Group Owner | Unsubscribe [g8lco1@...]

_._,_._,_

Dave G6HEF

This.

OK, a marker pen does work, but like everything, you can't beat the real thing.