Topics

Marconi 6960B

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I'm having trouble deciding which is the problem item out of my Marconi 6960B and measuring head ...

I bought them in differing places,  the head was supposed to be a good 'un, the meter was supposed to be faulty ... I am unsure if either statement is correct.  I get 0.000 with the source off .. and -0.24 mW with the source on ... negative ... almost all the "dead" heads I have seen in the past have simply failed to respond if blown, not go negative ...

Does anyone have a known working 6960B?  Could I send you my measuring head to check?

--
Best regards,

Robin Szemeti

Redpoint Consulting Limited

E: robin@...
T: +44 (0) 1299 405028
M: +44 (0) 7971 883371

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
confidential use of the above named recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient or person responsible for delivering it to the
intended recipient, you have received this communication in error
and must not distribute or copy it.
Please accept the sender's apologies, notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail and delete this communication.

Thank you.

Paul G8KFW

Hi robin

I live in West Sussex on the south coast UK

I will check out but I should have 2 off Marconi 6960 B providing they are working sorry neither is for sale

As they are part of a proposed Calibration rig

But I can check your head and meter out for you and they can be checked agenised a Marconi or a HP head

Regards Paul

[...]

Internal Virus Database is out of date.

--
Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

That would be perfect.

I've measured various signals and voltages, and the head appears to be down in sensitivity somewhat, but if I provide it with a slightly higher cal signal to compensate, and deliver the correct signal level at the various stages, it still fails to cal ... it would be nice to figure out which bits are knick-kancked!

At least my HP meter works!

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 00:13, Paul G8KFW <paul@...> wrote:

[...]

Actually I don’t think I have actually measured the signals on the head  probably put them on a scope in my early days  what HP power meter set up do you have ?

Sorry I don’t have your location

Regards Paul  07719 208048

I'm having trouble deciding which is the problem item out of my Marconi 6960B and measuring head ...

I bought them in differing places,  the head was supposed to be a good 'un, the meter was supposed to be faulty ... I am unsure if either statement is correct.  I get 0.000 with the source off .. and -0.24 mW with the source on ... negative ... almost all the "dead" heads I have seen in the past have simply failed to respond if blown, not go negative ...

Does anyone have a known working 6960B?  Could I send you my measuring head to check?

Best regards,

Robin Szemeti

Redpoint Consulting Limited

E: robin@...

T: +44 (0) 1299 405028

M: +44 (0) 7971 883371

Thank you.

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

--
Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I have a HP435 with a HP8484 head ...   the HP reference source and the Marconi source measure within a needles width of each other, so I am assuming they are pretty good.

If you can just try the head on your meter and let me know if you get any sensible readings, I think that will be enough ... I just need to know if it is working really.  And maybe also  the other way round ... try your head on my meter,  I can see the chopper drive and voltages look correct to the head look correct, I suspect the measurement A-D in the Marconi is sub-optimal.

I'm in Bewdley, north of Worcester, but I can shuck them at the UPS driver easily enough.

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 10:39, Paul G8KFW <paul@...> wrote:

[...]

The Ramco auction ending on 10th Nov has a number of 6910 heads for sale if anyone has a compatible meter. https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10255/lot-efba38bd-97ae-4099-b695-ac610134f061
This is an unusual auction in that they will ONLY post things (or send on pallets) so the normal issues around having to travel to collect stuff doesn't apply.

I have bought Marconi heads from that auction before,  it is "sold as seen, no guarantees" ... the head I have came from there, with a fresh calibration sticker sealing the end cap on, but I am beginning to think it is knackered.

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 14:00, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
The Ramco auction ending on 10th Nov has a number of 6910 heads for sale if anyone has a compatible meter. https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10255/lot-efba38bd-97ae-4099-b695-ac610134f061
This is an unusual auction in that they will ONLY post things (or send on pallets) so the normal issues around having to travel to collect stuff doesn't apply.

Infact, I am coming to the conclusion that all the stuff in the Ramco auctions is equipment returned as unserviceable, and rather than repair it, they dispose of it.  Sometimes you might be lucky and the "unserviceable" means a loose connector or a broken plastic button .. but otherwise, it might be properly foobarred.

There was a bucket of 100+ Marconi sensors in the last one, went for about £1200 as I remember.

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 14:38, Robin Szemeti <robin@...> wrote:
I have bought Marconi heads from that auction before,  it is "sold as seen, no guarantees" ... the head I have came from there, with a fresh calibration sticker sealing the end cap on, but I am beginning to think it is knackered.

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 14:00, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
The Ramco auction ending on 10th Nov has a number of 6910 heads for sale if anyone has a compatible meter. https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10255/lot-efba38bd-97ae-4099-b695-ac610134f061
This is an unusual auction in that they will ONLY post things (or send on pallets) so the normal issues around having to travel to collect stuff doesn't apply.

Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...>

I've had gear from RAMCO, I'd probably agree with you that it's usually faulty, I lucked out and it was only fuses that had failed.

A lot of MOD gear is set for 110V and it gets plugged into 230V by accident.

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 14:43, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
[...]

Clint. M0UAW IO83

No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Always a risk, buying from generic auctions. I think the PNA, SpecAns and other high-end kit are going to be "fun" buys, given that you either have it pieces in a cardboard box via Parcelforce, or strapped to a pallet in a wagon with pallets of bricks, concrete breakers and other clean-room qualified items.

I might have a punt on one of those enormously-heavy cast-iron surface plates, they would have to try hard to damage that.

Neil G4DBN

On 03/11/2020 14:38, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
I have bought Marconi heads from that auction before,  it is "sold as seen, no guarantees" ... the head I have came from there, with a fresh calibration sticker sealing the end cap on, but I am beginning to think it is knackered.

Paul G8KFW

Hi Neil regarding shipping

Are they going to charge for packing ?
and how much will the shipping be ?

Regards Paul

-----
No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

--
Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

Neil Smith G4DBN

They say P&P for standard small parcels up to 30kg will cost £16 (not sure if plus VAT).  Details are in the fine print as usual, there is a "phone us for details after you win the bid" statement.

Larger stuff like a 300 kg cast iron surface plate are send via Palletforce or similar, so for me that's around £50 for a complete pallet.  Don't think I'll be bidding on the E8361C PNA though, as the idea of having that strapped down to a pallet is not attractive. https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10255/lot-005c1e58-f66d-4203-ad7d-ac610134f040 <https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10255/lot-005c1e58-f66d-4203-ad7d-ac610134f040>;

The details and conditions are at https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10255/terms-and-conditions <https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10255/terms-and-conditions>;

There is an option for "local delivery", so I guess anyone really keen could arrange for delivery to the car park up the road from the auction house and pay their local delivery folk to collect the kit and drop it in your car boot.

I might bid on a couple of bits of kit just for spares, and it if works then that's a bonus, but I'm not going to spend big.  The PNA is up to £450, and when you add buyer's premium, VAT and carriage, that is a lot of coin for a perhaps-dead boat-anchor. Or it could be the bargain of the century. The Anritsu MS2802A price is ramping up now I see. The sticker saying "for indication purposes only" is not encouraging!  I'l looking for some cases with decent meter movements, so don't really care if the innards are working, so long as the case is in one piece and the meter isn't obviously wrecked.

Back to the workshop.....

Neil G4DBN

On 03/11/2020 16:39, Paul G8KFW wrote:
Hi Neil regarding shipping

Are they going to charge for packing ?
and how much will the shipping be ?

Regards Paul

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

That reminds me Neil,  will your mill take an ISO40 taper?   We sold our Haas VF2 years ago, but I occasionally see lumps of tooling lurking in long forgotten boxes.

On Tue, 3 Nov 2020 at 15:51, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Always a risk, buying from generic auctions. I think the PNA, SpecAns
and other high-end kit are going to be "fun" buys, given that you either
have it pieces in a cardboard box via Parcelforce, or strapped to a
pallet in a wagon with pallets of bricks, concrete breakers and other
clean-room qualified items.

I might have a punt on one of those enormously-heavy cast-iron surface
plates, they would have to try hard to damage that.

Neil G4DBN

On 03/11/2020 14:38, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
> I have bought Marconi heads from that auction before,  it is "sold as
> seen, no guarantees" ... the head I have came from there, with a fresh
> calibration sticker sealing the end cap on, but I am beginning to
> think it is knackered.

Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...>

Even a valid calibration and unbroken stickers is no guarantee an instrument hasn't been disposed of because someone subjected it to a kilowatt into a 0dBm port, 'For Indication only' isn't a terrible thing, it means the gear was considered good enough to be kept on even after the cal had expired.

It's a likely to work as anything else and chances are it'd sail through a cal.

--
Clint. M0UAW IO83

No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Sadly, my old Bridgeport clunker only takes native R8 tooling. Easy to fine ISO40 to R8, but the other way round isn't exactly a sensible idea.  If I ever have to rebuild the spindle and quill, I might convert to ISO40.

I just spotted the Dean Smith and Grace 1306 lathe in that auction.  Now I am sad because I don't quite have the floor space. It would mean knocking an internal blockwork wall down. If it goes for less than £1k, I'm going to kick myself for months. https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10255/lot-d4187768-3f4a-4c48-b9a7-ac6301154d26 <https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/ramco/catalogue-id-ramco-10255/lot-d4187768-3f4a-4c48-b9a7-ac6301154d26>; Fancy putting that through Palletforce?

Neil G4DBN

On 03/11/2020 18:27, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
That reminds me Neil,  will your mill take an ISO40 taper?   We sold our Haas VF2 years ago, but I occasionally see lumps of tooling lurking in long forgotten boxes.

Paul G8AQA

My milling machine takes International 30 tooling.  I have managed to collect most tooling I want except a collet chuck which I also want for my lathe. I want collets that will fit both lathe and milling machine.  Some of the ebay stuff has too much runout.  Ideally ER32 would be good.

73
Paul.

On 03/11/2020 20:07, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:
[...]

My router is INT30,  with ER32 collets ... I keep hankering after a Burnerd collet chuck for my Colchester Student ...

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 11:55, Paul G8AQA via groups.io <paulnick=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Just an update on stuff from the last Ramco auction ...

As I mentioned before, I suspect a lot of the stuff is returned to base as faulty for repair, and the repair crews deem it too expensive or too old and it goes in the auction.

I picked up a Racal-Dana 1998 counter, and sure enough, it doesn't power up.  Fortunately, it is a fairly simple fault with the PSU which I fixed for less than 50p, but all the same, it confirms my suspicions and I would be at least wary about buying a big ticket item like an analyser.

This is the second block of stuff I have bought from them, and the shipping was £16 inc VAT,  it was sent out VERY promptly, and well packed in a cardboard box with bubblewrap, so no issues there.

On a separate note, I picked up an absolutely gorgeous pair of pan/tilt heads I intend to use for microwave dish mounts ... they screw direct to the top of a "surveyors"  tripod,  and have a pair of handles that allow you to pan the dish in azimuth and elevation, plus an "unlock" lever for manual panning in azimuth, and even a little bubble level to help get it flat.  The only downside is the scales are in mils, not degrees, but it is hardly an issue.  Really REALLY nice, no backlash and the internal construction must have cost 1000's ...  I paid £48/pair ... keep an eye on future auctions if you want some, you will not be disappointed.

image.png

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 12:00, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

There were some breathtakingly huge bids for perhaps-dead kit.  I bought a damn great huge cast-iron surface plate which probably weighs a quarter of a ton, on the basis that is isn't likely to be faulty.  Not using it as a precision table (I already have a large granite table and a couple of small ones) but as a nice solid workbench/assembly table. I did take a punt on a cheap HP 437, which may or may not work, and a selection of linear variable PSUs. I saw that there was some bidding for those pan/tilts, so I left them alone to avoid pushing the price up.

My stuff will be coming on a pallet, total price for shipping £44 + vat.  Not bad.

Neil G4DBN

On 17/11/2020 00:05, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
[...]

There was a lovely 70V/50A linear PSU I was bidding on, and a customer rang me up and talked at me and I missed it!  Would have been perfect for the 1800W LDMOS 2m PA ...  I'll have to build a SMPS for it now.