Maarten (PA0MHE) 24 Ghz boards, final call.

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Hi,

So, as you may know, I have "some" PCBs for Maarten, PA0MHE's plugin for the Wavelab transverter boards. I have successfully stuffed some boards on my pick and place machine, including the vast majority of the Rs and Cs, the "hard" silicon and soldered it in my PCB oven. I'll add the 2 large regulator devices , the (U32, U33), the ADM7151ARDZ (U52) and the 2.45GHz filter not shown in the photo. U6 (not shown in photo) will also be added.

This leaves some surface mount inductors, hand soldered connectors etc. It took Maarten 2 hours I think to finish off, which was considerably shorter than mounting all the Rs and Cs by hand!  To date, I have soldered up several boards for Maarten and we have had zero problems with the placement and soldering of the synth chips etc, no solder bridges under the chips yet ... but please bear in mind, whilst every effort has been made to get it "right", these are not tested, but they are inspected to the best of my ability.

The cost of the boards with the components as per the attached PDFs is £100, I appreciate this a non-trivial amount, but this is "at cost" for the silicon plus a small amount (£8.50) to cover the passives, solder, cost of stencils for the paste etc  See spreadsheet.

I've had more requests for boards than I ordered part sets, so I will place 1 last order for parts this week from Mouser, lets say Wednesday evening. I have 5 made up here, I will just order the extra components, run the remaining boards and then take the components off the machine.

My list of people who expressed interest is:
Me x2
M0GHZ
G3WIE Chris
G4NNS Brian (via WIE)
G4GXL (2, to be confirmed)
Peter VK3PF
G8IKP John
AA8IL  Mike
SP5MS Peter

Could those listed please just email me to confirm or deny they still want them, (absolutely no problem if you have changed your mind, as I have more requests than sets of components) and I'll order the extra components and close this off, so I can get the machine set up for the next project ...

I suggest Recorded Delivery post, given the value, I'll find out how much that is ... or I can send just 1st class for free in the UK.  Overseas post will be at cost.

--
Best regards,

Robin Szemeti, G1YFG

Oops and the photo ... the two large regs, the other voltage reg and hopefully U6 will be added.

20220502_110234(1).jpg

On Tue, 3 May 2022 at 09:34, Robin Szemeti <robin@...> wrote:
[...]

Any more takers? The component order is going in tonight ... if your name is not on the list and you think it should be ... or shouldn't be, now is the time to shout up.

image.png

[...]

Josh Murray

Hi Robin

Just emailed you :)

Best Regards

Josh
M0JMO

Stefan

Hi Robin

Can you please add one assembled board for VK4CSD

Regards Stefan

[...]

Hi Stefan,

You are on the list .. I'm amazed there are so many of the Wavelab modules out there! Hopefully this will result in a lot more activity on 24GHz!

Anyway ... it looks like nearly 30 boards ... the only good news is the machine only takes 3 minutes to assemble one ;)

image.png

On Wed, 4 May 2022 at 21:04, Stefan <comlab@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Robin for the add.

I actually bought 4 and gave some away in the hope of more activity here.

[...]

They are a great value unit!  2W SSB  on 24GHz is a great setup and would cost many times this amount with a Kuhne transverter for example. I bought two, just in case I have some sort of accident!

eightyelectric

Hi Robin

Not sure if I am to late, but Can you please add one assembled board for VK4CSD

Regards Stefan

On Wed, 4 May 2022 at 21:41, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io
<robin@...> wrote:
They are a great value unit!  2W SSB  on 24GHz is a great setup and would cost many times this amount with a Kuhne transverter for example. I bought two, just in case I have some sort of accident!

eightyelectric

Dooh...., previous email was sent in a rush..
.should have read

Hi Robin

Not sure if I am to late, but could you add me to the list for  one assembled board.

Regards Paul G6UAJ

<robin@...> wrote:
They are a great value unit!  2W SSB  on 24GHz is a great setup and would cost many times this amount with a Kuhne transverter for example. I bought two, just in case I have some sort of accident!

vk2kyp

Can I have one assembled board please
73 gary vk2kyp

Tom GM8MJV

Hi Robin

While I don’t see many people in the north on the list there does appear to be quite an interest. If not too late could I get 2 assembled ones please - at least I can work myself until the access picks up.

If too late not a problem

Thanks

Tom GM8MJV

On 5 May 2022, at 00:08, vk2kyp via groups.io <vk2kyp@...> wrote:

Can I have one assembled board please
73 gary vk2kyp

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Never too late!  I'm just surprised so many people have the Wavelab modules!

On Thu, 5 May 2022 at 01:02, Tom GM8MJV <tom@...> wrote:
Hi Robin

While I don’t see many people in the north on the list there does appear to be quite an interest. If not too late could I get 2 assembled ones please - at least I can work myself until the access picks up.

If too late not a problem

Thanks

Tom GM8MJV

On 5 May 2022, at 00:08, vk2kyp via groups.io <vk2kyp@...> wrote:

Can I have one assembled board please
73 gary vk2kyp

Tim, VK2XAX

Hi Robin,

I thought I had put my request in before.

No matter, please add me for 2 boards.

thanks

Tim

On 4/5/22 22:09, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io wrote:
Any more takers? The component order is going in tonight ... if your name is not on the list and you think it should be ... or shouldn't be, now is the time to shout up.

image.png

O_,_
--
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Right ... the order has been placed, there is a shortfall on the microprocessor IC, but a delivery is due in June to Mouser, so it's not too bad, I'll shop around for alternatives and other sources.  They are also easily hand  solderable, so that's another option

Final final list is:

image.png

On Thu, 5 May 2022 at 01:41, Tim, VK2XAX <VK2XAX@...> wrote:

Hi Robin,

I thought I had put my request in before.

No matter, please add me for 2 boards.

thanks

Tim

On 4/5/22 22:09, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io wrote:
Any more takers? The component order is going in tonight ... if your name is not on the list and you think it should be ... or shouldn't be, now is the time to shout up.

image.png

O_,_
--
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA

Graham - G3YJR

I have a Wavelab transverter that I haven't done anything with yet.

Am I too late for a board?

Graham

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I ordered a few extra sets of components in anticipation of latecomers ... shall I put you down for one?

On Sat, 7 May 2022 at 12:18, Graham - G3YJR <g3yjr@...> wrote:
I have a Wavelab transverter that I haven't done anything with yet.

Am I too late for a board?

Graham

Dave G8KHU

Hi Robin
If there are still any extra components spare please could I have a board?
Dave G8KHU

Graham - G3YJR

Yes please.

Graham

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Getting close to "all gone" Dave, but, you are in luck ...