Locate Prog

Andy G4JNT

Users of G4EML's LOCATE prog for smartphones:

I've no doubt this was all explained at the time, but I've just worked out how to add an entry to the Site Database used in there.

Enter the NGR or Locator of the site you want to add.  To be useful, use at least the 6 digit 100 metre NGR or the 8 or 10 character Locator.
Set this as Home
Go into the database and type in the name of the site.
Press Save.

Whether this is just stored locally on your phone, or centrally  - I'm not sure

Colin G4EML

Hi Andy,

You don’t actually need to set it as the home location. The save uses the most recently entered  location.

It is only saved locally on the device.

I created the database from the sites file that has been around for ever and has been used by many programs. I suspect it may have been you that originally created it.

If there are any new sites that need adding to the main database I am happy to do that. (If I can remember how to do it!)

Colin.

On 13 Jul 2021, at 09:19, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

Users of G4EML's LOCATE prog for smartphones:

I've no doubt this was all explained at the time, but I've just worked out how to add an entry to the Site Database used in there.

Enter the NGR or Locator of the site you want to add.  To be useful, use at least the 6 digit 100 metre NGR or the 8 or 10 character Locator.
Set this as Home
Go into the database and type in the name of the site.
Press Save.

Whether this is just stored locally on your phone, or centrally  - I'm not sure

Andy G4JNT

Well, it was me that popularised it in the early 1990s with the original GEOG suite of progs (now all updated to Windows on my website)
But I can't claim complete originality as it was started in the 1980s by G3YGF, G4ELM and others who provided much of the original data - mostly those sites in the listing specified by their NGR.
Julian gave me a copy of teh database on 5-1/4 floppy disc for BBC computers, and I had to find someone who could convert it to PC format

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 at 10:00, Colin G4EML <colin@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes, I used it in the 90s on the original version of Locate that ran on a Psion Organiser.  That used an EPROM in a cartridge to load the program. I still have one somewhere with it installed. It took about 30 seconds to do a bearing and distance calculation!

Colin.

On 13 Jul 2021, at 10:10, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

[...]

Was that a prog that calculated bearings using Pythagorus on NGRs?    The error doing that is quite considerable on paths more than a few tens of km, but back in those days on wide band FM was presumably acceptable.
I started off that way, but as soon as the NGR to Lat/Long routines appeared - the simple one before GPS forced us all to adopt lat/long in WGS84 - it was changed to a great circle calculation.

On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 at 10:17, Colin G4EML <colin@...> wrote:
[...]

Yes the very earliest version used just NGRs. But I soon updated it to use the lat long great circle calcs. That’s why it took so long to calculate, the basic language used was not fast with trig functions.

Colin.

On 13 Jul 2021, at 12:22, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

[...]

In those early versions there was an approximate conversion for NGR <> Lat/Long doing the rounds that was good for 100m or so accuracy.   It must have been an empirically designed formula as it had a very weird function in there - something like LOG(SIN) or LOG(TAN) IIRC. I could never work out where that came from but it did, sort of work.  Soon replaced it with the OS polynomial that was good for metre accuracy.
And only recently added the WGS84/GBR36 spheroid conversion for the Windoze versions - that's messy, and it's only good for 3metre accuracy without complicated correction tables.

And to think, back in those days it was difficult enough to get people to use 8 char Locators for 400m resolution.   Now we routinely quote 10 char and even 12 char ones.