From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> on behalf of Gordon REASON via groups.io <gordonj.reason@...>
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2021 3:39 AM
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] lift conditions ..........

I monitor a very low power microphone tx on 87.5 Mhz .

During the day , the tx is off , and I often hear short burst's of signals , of foreign stations , which I put down to meteor pings , aircraft reflections , ect;

At 11:15 , today , clocktime , i began hearing signals coming in at more constant levels , and lots of radio stations together ........

I heard what I thought were dutch , swedish , italian , spanish and what sounded like russian ?

Tropo ?

and is the lift good for 10 G or higher ..............

Tim Hague M0AFJ

SPe, just had a message about Croatia etc coming through on Band 2

Best Regards
Tim Hague

On 14 May 2021, at 11:39, Gordon REASON via groups.io <gordonj.reason@...> wrote:

I monitor a very low power microphone tx on 87.5 Mhz .

During the day , the tx is off , and I often hear short burst's of signals , of foreign stations , which I put down to meteor pings , aircraft reflections , ect;

At 11:15 , today , clocktime , i began hearing signals coming in at more constant levels , and lots of radio stations together ........

I heard what I thought were dutch , swedish , italian , spanish and what sounded like russian ?

Tropo ?

and is the lift good for 10 G or higher ..............

Nicholas Shaxted

Very likely to be Sporadic Es as from very early this morning 50 and 70 MHz were awash with Central and Southern European Continent stations at very strong strengths.

87.5MHz – 87.7MHz tends to be the home of low power community based FM stations. It is highly probably you have received aircraft scatter from The Netherlands/Belgium. These stations concentrate on various diaspora so you may well have heard Turkish, Arabic, Russian as well as Dutch

Conditions were not very good for tropo due to the Low pressure (and heavy rain here in Kent)

Yesterday afternoon the 66 – 76MHz segment was full of wideband FM East European Radio mainly Russian language.

Looks like the same at present.

Sadly Es propagation will not extend to 10G (at least not yet). Your best hope is cloud/rainscatter from 2-4km rather than E-layer ionisation at 80km. With the hot weather approaching and thunderstorms quite common you may well have proper scatter from the melting layer inside thunderstorm clouds at around 12-14km altitude, this could easily award you with 1000km contacts….anything from 13cm upwards. 23cm is much harder but still possible.

Regards

Nick - g4ogi

I monitor a very low power microphone tx on 87.5 Mhz .

During the day , the tx is off , and I often hear short burst's of signals , of foreign stations , which I put down to meteor pings , aircraft reflections , ect;

At 11:15 , today , clocktime , i began hearing signals coming in at more constant levels , and lots of radio stations together ........

I heard what I thought were dutch , swedish , italian , spanish and what sounded like russian ?

Tropo ?

and is the lift good for 10 G or higher ..............

militaryoperator

6Mtrs was good last night, worked into Estonia using only my hf doublet!!

Looking at scores though someone worked 5B4 (Cyprus) (400W and 7 ele mind) and Malta so didn't do that well after all.

Ben.

Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] lift conditions ..........