KST or Zello ?

GM6VXB

Really beginning to wonder if everyone active on 13 or 23cm has moved to Zello rather
than using KST.
During the last two good tropo openings I have only seen the 'usual' stations logged
on to KST, and even after a few spots on DXSummit no change.
Ok, things change from the usual 12 (EU) stations to over 140 when there is a Tuesday contest,
where do they go for the rest of the month ?

Do not use Zello now as the PC it was on is being used for other things so only KST or random CQ's.

Martin, GM6VXB

militaryoperator

Really beginning to wonder if everyone active on 13 or 23cm has moved to Zello rather
than using KST.
During the last two good tropo openings I have only seen the 'usual' stations logged
Ok, things change from the usual 12 (EU) stations to over 140 when there is a Tuesday contest,

Do not use Zello now as the PC it was on is being used for other things so only KST or random CQ's.

Martin, GM6VXB

I don't use either Martin so listen out for my plaintive CQ's !!!  hi.

Ben G4BXD

Stuart G1ZAR

I'm with you on this Ben, but it does make it a struggle.
Going to give KST2ME a try tonight, but only installed it last night, so no time to practice.

Paul Selwood G3YDY

Stuart,

KST2ME is very nice especially the Chat2 filtered facility in contests.

Paul

G3YDY

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of Stuart G1ZAR
Sent: 22 October 2019 10:57
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] KST or Zello ?

Going to give KST2ME a try tonight, but only installed it last night, so no time to practice.

This email has been scanned by BullGuard antivirus protection.
For more info visit www.bullguard.com

G3UVR Denis IO83KH

Martin..

As you will know I am certainly a prolific user of KST I only use Zello outside of contests where its handy to talk and set up skeds and align antennas. I am very pleased to have seen your posts about testing 3cm and think its very possible for me to work you with rain in the right place. My main problem is being active while you are. Unfortunately for radio I work a full six day week so cant operate those days but I am very available and active mostl evenings.

Stuart..

KST2ME is very similar to the web version of KST but is much faster. Since swapping over to KST2ME a few years ago I almost never use the web KST I am sure it wont take you long to be familiar with it and it will be very helpful in making you many more QSOs on the microwave bands.

Ben.

Without KST or Zello possibilities are almost non existent on the microwave bands these days. You have computer to use this group just try KST and look at the traffic that you are missing.

73 de Denis G3UVR @ work
http://www.on4kst.com/chat/start.php

Neil Smith G4DBN

Nobody seems to be using Zello as an alternative to KST, I do hear a few plaintive calls during contests, but it is more used for setting up experiments and antenna adjustments.

The main benefit of Zello is that if my phone is in my pocket and someone says something while I'm in the machine shop or something, I hear it, whereas there is no alarm when I'm not logged in to KST.  We need something like the alerts I get from Aurorawatch, firing off an alarm and notification screen so I can drop what I'm doing and dash to the radio room and swing the beams north. Like back in the day with phone alert chains. Equivalent of a pager would be good.  I get email notifications from DXMaps, but it can't be configured for specific SHF bands and only works if someone spots something over a certain distance.

I use WhatsApp for a lot of similar things where I need alerts for work and hobby things, but doubtless there would be howls of protest about dilution.  Maybe a gateway robot to scrape interesting events from other sources and distribute them to a WhatsApp group?  Maybe useful just to say "I'm on 23/13cm and the F5LEN tropo maps look nice, anyone fancy a test?" sort of thing

We live in the future, surely we can come up with a better way to inform interested folks of short tropo openings without having to be near a computer?

At the last count, I have at least six different alert channels on my phone using three different apps, but it is all really just using my phone as a fancy pager.

Neil G4DBN

Chris Bartram G4DGU

Hello Neil

I had a quick check in the Android Playstore. Without testing or thinking anything through at all carefully, there seem to be a number of apps which look for changes in a website and then sound an alarm. Otherwise WhatsApp seems to be a useful candidate. If that approach were used with the discipline that used to be enforced in the local phone alert chain in the '70s, dilution wouldn't come into it ...

Chris

G4DGU

On 22/10/2019 11:44, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:
Nobody seems to be using Zello as an alternative to KST, I do hear a few plaintive calls during contests, but it is more used for setting up experiments and antenna adjustments.

The main benefit of Zello is that if my phone is in my pocket and someone says something while I'm in the machine shop or something, I hear it, whereas there is no alarm when I'm not logged in to KST.  We need something like the alerts I get from Aurorawatch, firing off an alarm and notification screen so I can drop what I'm doing and dash to the radio room and swing the beams north. Like back in the day with phone alert chains. Equivalent of a pager would be good.  I get email notifications from DXMaps, but it can't be configured for specific SHF bands and only works if someone spots something over a certain distance.

I use WhatsApp for a lot of similar things where I need alerts for work and hobby things, but doubtless there would be howls of protest about dilution.  Maybe a gateway robot to scrape interesting events from other sources and distribute them to a WhatsApp group?  Maybe useful just to say "I'm on 23/13cm and the F5LEN tropo maps look nice, anyone fancy a test?" sort of thing

We live in the future, surely we can come up with a better way to inform interested folks of short tropo openings without having to be near a computer?

At the last count, I have at least six different alert channels on my phone using three different apps, but it is all really just using my phone as a fancy pager.

Neil G4DBN

militaryoperator

Ben.

Without KST or Zello possibilities are almost non existent on the microwave bands these days. You have computer to use this group just try KST and look at the traffic that you are missing.

73 de Denis G3UVR

I have been non existant for years Dennis. 

Anyway, I have the antenna up so will be on this evening, listening, tuning and calling CQ. 

You never know. 

Ben. 

Martin - GM8IEM

Agreed!  Very little tropo enhancement at this QTH, so most microwave QSOs are via Aircraft Scatter, for which I use KST2Me as talkback.

73, Martin

GM8IEM – IO78HF

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io On Behalf Of Paul Selwood G3YDY via Groups.Io
Sent: 22 October 2019 11:17

Stuart,

KST2ME is very nice especially the Chat2 filtered facility in contests.

Paul

G3YDY

From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of Stuart G1ZAR
Sent: 22 October 2019 10:57

This email has been scanned by BullGuard antivirus protection.

For more info visit www.bullguard.com

militaryoperator

ok I have zello on my phone.

Now what ?

Ben

steve G1PPA

I find kst very useful . Zello I find ok outside contest. But find it a distraction
In contest

Colin G4EML

Hi Ben, 

I have just authorised you on the Zello SHF Chat channel. 

It seems that KST is still people’s first choice but sometimes it is easier to talk than type. 

Colin G4EML

On 22 Oct 2019, at 13:46, militaryoperator via Groups.Io <Military1944@...> wrote:

ok I have zello on my phone.

Now what ?

Ben

GM6VXB

From another: Without KST or Zello possibilities are almost non existent on the microwave bands these days.

Fine. So I am am watching KST (13:40 BST) and we have 11 users logged on, three are 'G's' and two showing
as 'I am away' and one 'on chat' which he has been for the last few days. Was only 5 EU users when I logged on at 06:30.

So is it worth being on KST ?, probably no. But wait until tonights contest starts and numbers increase dramatically.
Now I have 13cm gear, but will I still be interested in six hours time with the lack of anything happening just now ?.
This happened during the last good tropo opening (21st to 23rd September). Was hearing GB3MHZ over an obstructed
660Km path on 23 and 13Cm. Active users on KST ?, very few. Interest appeared though after conditions dropped back to normal.

Denis: Unfortunately my 3cm gear is not fully waterproof, and also we had some pretty strong winds, so took 3cm
down before it came down the quick way.
This weekend looks to have some rain (maybe) in the right place, but also showing winds up to gale force so unless
the forecast is wrong I will not be on. Possibly this will be about my last activity on 3cm this year as weather will be
deteriorating soon.

So, back to my original question. It appears not many use Zello. And from my observations not many use KST outside
of contests. Over the years I rarely now enter contests, though occassionally come on to the lower bands to give points
to some of the locals. Last weeks 23cm event worked one station and no interest from others.
For tonights contest I will be logged on but showing 'I am away'. Probably will be asleep due to the low activity on KST.

Martin, GM6VXB IO97AQ, you have worked IO97 on 23/13/3cm haven't you ?

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2019 8:52 AM
Subject: KST or Zello ?

than using KST.

Martin, GM6VXB

steve G1PPA

Martin as Dennis said most people are happy to come on when free. I only started on 3cm a month ago I put on kst
I would be going out the following afternoon to test the portable location I intend to use. In the morning very few logged into kst. But in the afternoon a few came on to see if I could work them
I was very grateful to Dennis Neil DBN Keith and others for making it an enjoyable afternoon. I don’t think I could work IO97 but I would always be willing to give it a try when out portable

Stuart G1ZAR

Denis,
Having loaded KST2Me at about 0200 today, I just had a quick look to ensure it connected and I knew the password.
I have never used the web version apart from a couple of log-ins to see the layout, so it's all pretty new to me.
So a walk to the trig point tonight and try and figure it out during the contest.
I will have 13 and 3cm with me tonight and looking to improve my 3cm tally.

Stuart

Andy G4JNT

Stuart

After you said "walk to the trig point" I looked up your location , and plotted on a terrain plot, only to find this huge great hole in the ground at NGR  SK562153 not too far away.   The black spot in the centre of the attached plot and http://www.g4jnt.com/DropF/clipboard_201910221714.png

Just curious as to what it is.  A massive quarry ?
image.png

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 16:20, Stuart G1ZAR <stuart.tyler@...> wrote:
Denis,
Having loaded KST2Me at about 0200 today, I just had a quick look to ensure it connected and I knew the password.
I have never used the web version apart from a couple of log-ins to see the layout, so it's all pretty new to me.
So a walk to the trig point tonight and try and figure it out during the contest.
I will have 13 and 3cm with me tonight and looking to improve my 3cm tally.

Stuart

Mike Willis

SRTM Data?
--
Mike G0MJW

Andy G4JNT

Yes, but looks genuine
Just had a thought - convert to lat/long and look at it in Google Earth

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 17:21, Mike Willis <willis.mj@...> wrote:
SRTM Data?
--
Mike G0MJW