John Birkett SK

Clive Elliott GW4MBS

Sad news. I bought many an interesting bit of kit from Birkett's. I remember happening to pass his shop on a Saturday late afternoon. Although closed, I saw John loading kit for a rally the next day, I managed to buy several 6ft lengths of new WG16.

I remember Les Sharrock G3BNL telling me that John always put interesting things aside for him, as Les had given John his first job.

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2022/may/john-birkett-g8opp-sk.htm#.YoUKCFTMJPY
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

geoffrey pike

Ah that's a pity, i remember ringing the shop from somewhere in the middle of GI from a telephone box and ordered some really nice Rifa 350V 100uf caps for a 4cx250 amplifier, Always meant to go to Lincoln to visit the shop when i was in Humberside but
like alot of things heading home was always more important. He was also very easy to haggle with!
Geoff
GI0GDP

On Wednesday, 18 May 2022, 16:17:53 BST, Clive Elliott GW4MBS via groups.io <humber1ton@...> wrote:

Sad news. I bought many an interesting bit of kit from Birkett's. I remember happening to pass his shop on a Saturday late afternoon. Although closed, I saw John loading kit for a rally the next day, I managed to buy several 6ft lengths of new WG16.

I remember Les Sharrock G3BNL telling me that John always put interesting things aside for him, as Les had given John his first job.

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2022/may/john-birkett-g8opp-sk.htm#.YoUKCFTMJPY
--
Clive GW4MBS (ex-G8ADP)
Pottering on 6m - 3cm in a valley in IO71XW where any QSO is a triumph of optimism over geography!

Reg Woolley

The shop was a cross between a junk yard and an Aladins cave

[...]

John Quarmby

Really sorry to hear that, Johnny Birkett's was a real mecca for those of us in Lincolnshire in the 60s and beyond, I last saw him about 3 years ago at his shop at the bottom of Steep Hill.

John G3XDY