Topics

January SHF UKAC

G1DFL

I'll attempt 3cm and 6cm SSB from home, for the January SHF UKAC.

Will have KST, Zello and 144.390MHz SSB.
Not holding out for many QSO's, but we shall see.

Hopefully the snow will have melted by then, otherwise assembling all of the portable kit on the back lawn will be somewhat interesting.

Hope to work a few of you local to me in IO91 so sub-100km paths, and maybe out to 150km.
Who else plans to be on?

Regards..Pete
G1DFL

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I'll be on 13cm, hopefully a little more stable than previous attempts now I have made a copper box for the transverter with proper feedthroughs, it may be less prone to oscillation.

I have a PA for 6cm coming that I will be trying EME with, but I may try a little terrestrial with it also, but not ready for this month.

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 14:58, G1DFL via groups.io <peterdwberkshire=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'll attempt 3cm and 6cm SSB from home, for the January SHF UKAC.

Will have KST, Zello and 144.390MHz SSB.
Not holding out for many QSO's, but we shall see.

Hopefully the snow will have melted by then, otherwise assembling all of the portable kit on the back lawn will be somewhat interesting.

Hope to work a few of you local to me in IO91 so sub-100km paths, and maybe out to 150km.
Who else plans to be on?

Regards..Pete
G1DFL

militaryoperator

I'll attempt 3cm and 6cm SSB from home, for the January SHF UKAC.

Will have KST, Zello and 144.390MHz SSB.
Not holding out for many QSO's, but we shall see.

Hopefully the snow will have melted by then, otherwise assembling all of the portable kit on the back lawn will be somewhat interesting.

Hope to work a few of you local to me in IO91 so sub-100km paths, and maybe out to 150km.
Who else plans to be on?

Regards..Pete
G1DFL

Will be on, wx permitting, 13, and or 9 and or 3cm.

Ben G4BXD IO82UJ

Dave (G1OGY)

I have installed the 9cm kit on the versatower so the 1M dish will be
at 35ft or so.
There's 15W at the masthead, GPSDO locked; I trust that it will not be
as lonely as during the summer (at 5M AGL!)
I regret I have nothing for 13cm but will be on 'KST from the outset
so anyone beaming towards sunny Essex should try to raise me on there
for SSB tests.
TIA
Dave, G1OGY

Stuart G1ZAR

I shall have 13cm and 3cm portable set-up from home.
As I only worked 2 stations in the 23cm contest, I suspect I will work the same 2 stations, if I am lucky.
Still waiting for a new key for KST2ME

Stuart
G1ZAR

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

While you are waiting for a key (as am I .. ) feel free to give my badly written alternative a go.

I apologise for the various inadequacies ... I hope to find the enthusiasm to sort of few of them out soon.

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 17:31, Stuart G1ZAR <stuart.tyler@...> wrote:
I shall have 13cm and 3cm portable set-up from home.
As I only worked 2 stations in the 23cm contest, I suspect I will work the same 2 stations, if I am lucky.
Still waiting for a new key for KST2ME

Stuart
G1ZAR

Anthony Coldman

Wind allowing, I will be on 13cm and 6cm both with lower power to meet the new rules, hope it doesn’t affect the contacts too much.

Anthony G7LRQ

John Lemay

I’m expecting to be QRV on 13, 9 and 3cms. My planned improvements to the dish for 9cms haven’t happened yet because I’m a wimp !

Weather forecast round here for Tuesday evening looks like quite windy and maybe wet.

John G4ZTR JO01KW

I'll attempt 3cm and 6cm SSB from home, for the January SHF UKAC.

Will have KST, Zello and 144.390MHz SSB.

Not holding out for many QSO's, but we shall see.

Hopefully the snow will have melted by then, otherwise assembling all of the portable kit on the back lawn will be somewhat interesting.

Hope to work a few of you local to me in IO91 so sub-100km paths, and maybe out to 150km.

Who else plans to be on?

Regards..Pete

G1DFL

Ah, poop. I hadn't noticed that the 13cms power level had gone down ... I'll have to find an attenuator,  I'm not sure of the logic behind that one, as there is wide availability of cheap and easy to use LDMOS, I would have thought the power levels would be going up, not down ...

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 18:50, Anthony Coldman via groups.io <anthony.coldman=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Wind allowing, I will be on 13cm and 6cm both with lower power to meet the new rules, hope it doesn’t affect the contacts too much.

Anthony G7LRQ

G1DFL

The idea for the 13cm power change is to attempt to balance out the numbers in each category for 2021. Same objective with the 6cm change.

On 13cm it's to provide more competition for those with just barefoot DB6NT/SG, or transverter plus small amp, to compete with similar in SAR. Leaving the Spectrian and Nokia folks too battle it out in SAO...

- I must reassemble my 13cm bits, to join in!

Regards..Pete
G1DFL

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 19:28, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG
<robin@...> wrote:
Ah, poop. I hadn't noticed that the 13cms power level had gone down ... I'll have to find an attenuator,  I'm not sure of the logic behind that one, as there is wide availability of cheap and easy to use LDMOS, I would have thought the power levels would be going up, not down ...

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 18:50, Anthony Coldman via groups.io <anthony.coldman=ntlworld.com@groups.io> wrote:

Wind allowing, I will be on 13cm and 6cm both with lower power to meet the new rules, hope it doesn’t affect the contacts too much.

Anthony G7LRQ

Nick Gregory G0HIK

I could try some R.S. from home on 3cm's if anyone IO83/GD/GI is on.

Nick G0HIK IO84 Cumbria

Dave (G1OGY)

I have been reminded that SHF sessions begin at 19:30.
With other duties in hand it is unlikely that I will be able to start so early.
Were you planning to look for me (on 9cm); please accept that it will
be closer to 20:00 before I can get going.
73

Dave, G1OGY

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 16:34, Dave (G1OGY) <g1ogy@g1ogy.com> wrote:

I have installed the 9cm kit on the versatower so the 1M dish will be
at 35ft or so.
There's 15W at the masthead, GPSDO locked; I trust that it will not be
as lonely as during the summer (at 5M AGL!)
I regret I have nothing for 13cm but will be on 'KST from the outset
so anyone beaming towards sunny Essex should try to raise me on there
for SSB tests.
TIA
Dave, G1OGY

Neil Smith G4DBN

If the rain is in the right place, it should be easy from here Nick. I might be late on, but I'll be logged in to KST when I'm operating.

Conditions on 3cm have been absolutely terrible for the last three weeks, with a lot of absorption. Almost nothing from EU beacons, not even DB0GHZ, and I haven't heard any of the GM beacons either. No actual human operators either...

If anyone fancies regular skeds on 3cm with digimodes or old-school, I'm available most Monday/Tuesday daytimes and most evenings after dark. Sadly, not much hope towards much of IO92/91/90 because if my local tree belt, but rainscatter or off-axis plane scatter is often possible.

Neil G4DBN
IO93NR08

On 25/01/2021 20:49, Nick Gregory G0HIK via groups.io wrote:
I could try some R.S. from home on 3cm's if anyone IO83/GD/GI is on.

Nick G0HIK IO84 Cumbria

David Law

If it stops raining I'll be on 10Ghz from home io93ik. It's not great but rain might make it fun
Meep me on kst  for a try. Io93ik. G0lbk. I'll be on zello too.

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Well that was an interesting evening, I had planned to enter SAO, but my PA had other ideas.  In the past, it has managed to blow the bias stages of all 3 PA sections (easily fixed) , it blew the output track once ... and now it has managed to blow the first stage MMIC ...

I managed to bodge the transverter output into the second stage and got a handful of watts out of it, somewhere between 5 and 10, possibly as high as 20 when I overdrove the transverter.  so apologies to those that struggled and failed last night, I shall have another attempt at SAO next month, once this weird MMIC is replaced.

On Mon, 25 Jan 2021 at 16:34, Dave (G1OGY) <g1ogy@...> wrote:

> I have installed the 9cm kit on the versatower so the 1M dish will be
> at 35ft or so.
> There's 15W at the masthead, GPSDO locked; I trust that it will not be
> as lonely as during the summer (at 5M AGL!)
> I regret I have nothing for 13cm but will be on 'KST from the outset
> so anyone beaming towards sunny Essex should try to raise me on there
> for SSB tests.
> TIA
> Dave, G1OGY

Nigel G8IFN

Thanks to G4ZTR and G1OGY for my first two and only contacts so far on 9cm.
I'm sure I will be able to work others if I can get the antenna outdoors!
Last nights operation was with a SG Labs transverter and 20dBi flat panel pointing out through an upstairs window.
--
Nigel G8IFN - JO01LS

John Lemay

Nigel

Good to work you yesterday and nice to get a new one in the 9cms log.

Be reassured – conditions last night were pretty poor !

John G4ZTR

Thanks to G4ZTR and G1OGY for my first two and only contacts so far on 9cm.
I'm sure I will be able to work others if I can get the antenna outdoors!
Last nights operation was with a SG Labs transverter and 20dBi flat panel pointing out through an upstairs window.
--
Nigel G8IFN - JO01LS

Mike GD6ICR

I was over the moon - I was set up only for RCV on 13cm and tried to hear GM8IEM but tried on 3 different planes. Then GM4JTJ tuned his beam on me 52 no AS and 55 with AS. Awesome considering 31 ele beam 12M of LDF450 and Kuhne MKU 23. Today I tuned onto GB3CSB and best was -16 with no preamp. Now to ensure tx is sequenced and get myselfd a preamp and decent amplifier.

--
Mike GD6ICR IO74PF73TW