Ilse of Skye - intended activation for 23cm UKAC

Dave G6HEF

I am due to travel to GM land and be on Skye for 20th July, which I believe is 23cm UKAC.

I'm not sure how much gear I shall take or what site I may set-up on. Nor am I sure if I shall have access to AirScout or KST. Or for that matter how compliant midges or WX might be for /P operations.

All the roads on Skye seem low altitude and often behind mountains. This means either a lower altitude sea path location or walking up a hill!

As this is predominantly a family holiday rather than a DXpedition I'm looking for thoughts on how much interest there is and the feasibility of good QSOs.

I've never been to Skye let alone done any operating from there. Any intel would be good.

Dave
G6HEF

Chris Ruddy MM0KOS

Hi Dave

Probably for a sea path anywhere your best bet maybe the Neist Point area, it offers paths north, west and south but the area to the east is mountain.

If you stay on the east or north east side, Kilt rock has a free carpark area and may be your best bet over the north and North east side.

The availability of QSOs i don’t know about sorry.

Take a good pair of hiking boots if your going for a ramble about.

The midges where out when i was up there 2 weeks ago so just hope its got a breeze about and not damp, still conditions.

Remember your jungle formula, max Deet for out little native blood suckers

Regards, Chris MM0KOS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am due to travel to GM land and be on Skye for 20th July, which I believe is 23cm UKAC.

I'm not sure how much gear I shall take or what site I may set-up on. Nor am I sure if I shall have access to AirScout or KST. Or for that matter how compliant midges or WX might be for /P operations.

All the roads on Skye seem low altitude and often behind mountains. This means either a lower altitude sea path location or walking up a hill!

As this is predominantly a family holiday rather than a DXpedition I'm looking for thoughts on how much interest there is and the feasibility of good QSOs.

I've never been to Skye let alone done any operating from there. Any intel would be good.

Dave
G6HEF

Dave G6HEF

Thanks Chris,

I've looked at Neist Point on Google Maps and indeed it looks like a very good sea path location. I'm used to having mountains in the way to the east living on the Cumbrian coast!

Need to order some Deet, thanks for the reminder. We will be taking all the mountain gear. Hoping to do a little SOTA stuff too, but not decided where yet.

73
Dave
G6HEF