ic9700?

militaryoperator

I'm getting fed up trying to read the screen on these 817's so thought about a 9700.

Looking at its manual, it has separate o/p for 2 and 70 (and 23) but though the ptt is on the acc socket there is only one, not band selective as on the 847 say.

So, if one wanted to use the 9700 as driver for the 23m trvrt (2Mtr o/p) and 9cm trvrt (70Cm o/p) there seems no way of getting a ptt per band or am I missing something?

I know you only get rf out on the band selected but if the ptt was commoned then both units would go onto tx at the same time.

Ben

Neil Smith G4DBN

https://thedxshop.com/product/ptt-multiplier-for-icom-ic-9700/

I think that might be what you need.  It reads the CI-V to select the right PTT. They are on back order while Roger gets another batch made.

Neil G4DBN

On 12/04/2021 15:01, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
I'm getting fed up trying to read the screen on these 817's so thought about a 9700.

Looking at its manual, it has separate o/p for 2 and 70 (and 23) but though the ptt is on the acc socket there is only one, not band selective as on the 847 say.

So, if one wanted to use the 9700 as driver for the 23m trvrt (2Mtr o/p) and 9cm trvrt (70Cm o/p) there seems no way of getting a ptt per band or am I missing something?

I know you only get rf out on the band selected but if the ptt was commoned then both units would go onto tx at the same time.

Denis Stanton G0OLX

Ben
Look on the DX Shop
They have a IC9700 PTT multiplier
Which gives you separate PTTon each band
Denis
G0OLX

On 12 Apr 2021, at 15:02, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944@...> wrote:

I'm getting fed up trying to read the screen on these 817's so thought about a 9700.

Looking at its manual, it has separate o/p for 2 and 70 (and 23) but though the ptt is on the acc socket there is only one, not band selective as on the 847 say.

So, if one wanted to use the 9700 as driver for the 23m trvrt (2Mtr o/p) and 9cm trvrt (70Cm o/p) there seems no way of getting a ptt per band or am I missing something?

I know you only get rf out on the band selected but if the ptt was commoned then both units would go onto tx at the same time.

Ben

militaryoperator

I think that might be what you need.  It reads the CI-V to select the right PTT. They are on back order while Roger gets another batch made.
Neil G4DBN

Wow, £60 !! I wonder if there's a 9700 circuit diagram about. One must be able to pick up the inhibitor/uninhibit line used when you press the band selector. then AND it with the ptt.

Needs more thought.

Cheers Neil.

Ben

Tim Hague M0AFJ

Just a comment, I suggest you look at the presentation by Alwyn Seeds at the RSGB convention last year regarding the IC9700. It’s aesthetically pleasing but the technical performance is not that good with well documented phase noise and TX intermod problems.
I had one and sold it on pretty quickly as I had a couple of comments while out portable.

Best Regards
Tim Hague M0AFJ

On 12 Apr 2021, at 15:07, Denis Stanton G0OLX <Stantondenis@...> wrote:

[...]

steve G1PPA

Hi Ben
I used simple diode circuit from Neil DBN
Made a box 1 PTT in 3 out ive never had a problem with it all txvtre go into TX couple of quid to make
Steve
G1PPA

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 at 15:17, Tim Hague M0AFJ via groups.io
<m0afj@...> wrote:
[...]

OK Tim. I have heard bad things as well. Limited choice really, lots of little sets about, all small screens though.
I guess I could use my FT847, it has separate ptt lines.

Ben

Neil Smith G4DBN

On 12/04/2021 15:16, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:

Wow, £60 !! I wonder if there's a 9700 circuit diagram about. One must be able to pick up the inhibitor/uninhibit line used when you press the band selector. then AND it with the ptt.

Needs more thought.

Surgery might indeed be feasible, but a non-invasive approach of reading the CI-V and setting the correct PTT needs an "unmentionable" to process the data stream.

<cough> Arduino/PIC</cough>

And it's so bally simple too
Read the CAT, do whatever you want with it

On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 at 16:40, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

On 12/04/2021 15:16, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:

Wow, £60 !! I wonder if there's a 9700 circuit diagram about. One must be able to pick up the inhibitor/uninhibit line used when you press the band selector. then AND it with the ptt.

Needs more thought.

Surgery might indeed be feasible, but a non-invasive approach of reading the CI-V and setting the correct PTT needs an "unmentionable" to process the data stream.

<cough> Arduino/PIC</cough>

Neil G4DBN

Nick Peckett G4KUX

Hi Steve,

Being on a high well located site allows me to assess the quality of signals that are both local and distant, using a variation of setups/transceivers. And while I can completely understand the attraction of a shack-in-a-box concept of the modern SDR based transceiver, especially for /P operation, they are not really suitable for hilltop operation, especially when driving a high power amplifier as the phase noise performance is sadly not up to it. Both the IC9700 and the FT991A have serious shortcomings in phase noise performance, especially the 991A which is 20db worse than the 9700 in a bandwidth of +/- of 20Khz of the operating frequency.

I am LOS with at least seven 991As and without exception, they ALL exhibit the same phase noise characteristics on 6/2/70cms, and this includes FT8 operation where I can null out the main carrier but then your left with the phase noise which you cant do anything with other than try to put the offending signal in a null of the antenna array.

So to summarise if your going to use low power from your /P site you will probably get away with a 9700, as while there are phase noise issues they are tolerable at +/- 10Khz at 50Klms away, otherwise maybe consider a traditional superhet design rig or an HF transceiver + high level transverter combination, although I can appreciate the negative logistics of that combination in a /P situation.

Nick G4KUX

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

<m0afj@...> wrote:

[...]

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I suspect I will hear the noise from Ben's 9700 all too clearly ... I am about 1.5km away.

I have one under the bench, but decline to use it with the linear amp, even though it would be a simpler alternative to the transverter.

On 12 Apr 2021, at 15:02, militaryoperator via groups.io <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I'm getting fed up trying to read the screen on these 817's so thought about a 9700.

Looking at its manual, it has separate o/p for 2 and 70 (and 23) but though the ptt is on the acc socket there is only one, not band selective as on the 847 say.

So, if one wanted to use the 9700 as driver for the 23m trvrt (2Mtr o/p) and 9cm trvrt (70Cm o/p) there seems no way of getting a ptt per band or am I missing something?

I know you only get rf out on the band selected but if the ptt was commoned then both units would go onto tx at the same time.

Ben

militaryoperator

I suspect I will hear the noise from Ben's 9700 all too clearly ... I am about 1.5km away.

! I shouldn't worry, I'll always be pointing my beam away from you.

BN.

Stephen Tompsett

There are much worse rigs than the IC-9700... Unfortunately it's the 'best' of what is available at reasonable cost and technical effort for most people. From my urban location I much prefer a local IC-9700 rather than a FT8X7 and '100W' transistor amplifier...

Stephen Tompsett

Tom GM8MJV

The DX Shop module works very well - little led beside each phono out to show band on. I used to have the one ppt line going via few diodes to each amp - it was very disconcerting seeing/hearing all the amps changing over when ppt pressed.

Now it just the one amp for the correct band - improves everything.

Small compact as so far doing exactly what it says on the can.

Tom
GM8MJV

On 12 Apr 2021, at 15:06, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@g4dbn.uk> wrote:

https://thedxshop.com/product/ptt-multiplier-for-icom-ic-9700/

I think that might be what you need. It reads the CI-V to select the right PTT. They are on back order while Roger gets another batch made.

Neil G4DBN

On 12/04/2021 15:01, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
I'm getting fed up trying to read the screen on these 817's so thought about a 9700.

Looking at its manual, it has separate o/p for 2 and 70 (and 23) but though the ptt is on the acc socket there is only one, not band selective as on the 847 say.

So, if one wanted to use the 9700 as driver for the 23m trvrt (2Mtr o/p) and 9cm trvrt (70Cm o/p) there seems no way of getting a ptt per band or am I missing something?

I know you only get rf out on the band selected but if the ptt was commoned then both units would go onto tx at the same time.

DD1US

Hi Tom, does it also work properly when you are controlling the TRX via the USB connection ?

Regards

Matthias

Von: Tom GM8MJV <tom@...>
Datum: 12.04.21 19:23 (GMT+01:00)
An: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Betreff: Re: [UKMicrowaves] ic9700?

The DX Shop module works very well - little led beside each phono out to show band on. I used to have the one ppt line going via few diodes to each amp - it was very disconcerting seeing/hearing all the amps changing over when ppt pressed.

Now it just the one amp for the correct band - improves everything.

Small compact as so far doing exactly what it says on the can.

Tom
GM8MJV

> On 12 Apr 2021, at 15:06, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
>
> https://thedxshop.com/product/ptt-multiplier-for-icom-ic-9700/
>
> I think that might be what you need.  It reads the CI-V to select the right PTT. They are on back order while Roger gets another batch made.
>
> Neil G4DBN
>
> On 12/04/2021 15:01, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
>> I'm getting fed up trying to read the screen on these 817's so thought about a 9700.
>>
>> Looking at its manual, it has separate o/p for 2 and 70 (and 23) but though the ptt is on the acc socket there is only one, not band selective as on the 847 say.
>>
>> So, if one wanted to use the 9700 as driver for the 23m trvrt (2Mtr o/p) and 9cm trvrt (70Cm o/p) there seems no way of getting a ptt per band or am I missing something?
>>
>> I know you only get rf out on the band selected but if the ptt was commoned then both units would go onto tx at the same time.

Nigel G8IFN

To switch the PTT output from a 9700 I took the low tech, least effort option and used a 4 way AV switch available on ebay for a few pounds.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AV-SWITCH-BOX-SWITCHER-SELECTOR-4-WAY-PORT-RCA-STEREO-AUDIO-VIDEO-COMPOSITE/184745152145

To drive microwave transverters I opted for an IC-705 much easier to set the required drive levels and more portable than the 9700
I realise the phase noise performance of the 705 is worse than the 9700 especially on 432MHz but don't see it being so much of a problem with low power on the microwave bands.
Currently only on 9cm. Has anyone measured the phase noise of a sglabs 9cm transverter?

--
Nigel G8IFN - JO01LS

Tom GM8MJV

Yup

The unit monitors the freq the 9700 is set to - it does not matter if the freq is changed via PC or manually via the front pannel.

Tom
GM8MJV

Von: Tom GM8MJV <tom@...>
Datum: 12.04.21 19:23 (GMT+01:00)
An: UKMicrowaves@groups.io

[...]

Thanks Colin,

I had seen this but it does not seem to work with remote control as there is the statement:

“Please note that this does not work when you are using PC software to control the rig via CI-V interface at the same time, using wsjtx here the PC software looses comms with the radio.”

Thus I will go for the DX-Shop unit.

Kind regards

Matthias

www.dd1us.de

Von: Tom GM8MJV <tom@...>

Datum: 12.04.21 19:23 (GMT+01:00)

An: UKMicrowaves@groups.io

[...]

Tim, VK2XAX

I've been looking down this path too and I found this device to build, it will also control pre-amps for each band...

https://www.ea7hg.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=158&lang=en

cheers

Tim

--
VK2XAX : QF56if : ITU59 : CQ30 : BMARC : WIA