IC202 Crystal

Mark GM4ISM

Hi All

I'm trying to get an old IC202 prepped as a loan rig to drive my old portable 10GHz transverter, to lend to an amateur returning to radio who is interested in 10GHz (Huddersfield area). I'm adding a counter on the LO to give a decent frequency display but I  am missing one thing.  I am looking for a VXO crystal that covers 144.8 to 145MHz to cover the higher beacons. The crystal is designated 36-5

Has anyone got a spare one left over from a dead IC202 please?

Thanks

Mark GM4ISM

https://www.avg.com

Michael Scott

Hi Mark

Do you know the actual frequency of the crystal? It is possible that the Chipbank stock might have something suitable, or have you looked at the list? I have added about 100 more to the list but have not yet updated the catalogue. Unfortunately I sold my IC 202 some years ago when the FT817s became available.

73, Mike.

On 22/07/2021 10:35, Mark GM4ISM via groups.io wrote:
Hi All

I'm trying to get an old IC202 prepped as a loan rig to drive my old portable 10GHz transverter, to lend to an amateur returning to radio who is interested in 10GHz (Huddersfield area). I'm adding a counter on the LO to give a decent frequency display but I  am missing one thing.  I am looking for a VXO crystal that covers 144.8 to 145MHz to cover the higher beacons. The crystal is designated 36-5

Has anyone got a spare one left over from a dead IC202 please?

Thanks

Mark GM4ISM

Kevin G6UCY

Hello Mark

I do not have a spare but the crystal in that position in my IC-202E is labelled as 14893.28 GCO5C

Hope this information might be helpful is someone has one loose somewhere.

Kind Regards

Kevin G6UCY

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I'm trying to get an old IC202 prepped as a loan rig to drive my old

portable 10GHz transverter, to lend to an amateur returning to radio who

is interested in 10GHz (Huddersfield area). I'm adding a counter on the

LO to give a decent frequency display but I  am missing one thing.  I am

looking for a VXO crystal that covers 144.8 to 145MHz to cover the

higher beacons. The crystal is designated 36-5

Has anyone got a spare one left over from a dead IC202 please?

Thanks

Mark GM4ISM

https://www.avg.com

Andy G4JNT

Iirc they are specced for 20pF parallel cap

--
Andy (out keeping fit)

Mark GM4ISM

Hi Kevin, Andy

The frequency is 14.93772 MHz  for the one I want

14893.28 comes out at 144.4- 144.6

But you got me thinking.. so I looked in my other IC202 and its got a 45MHz overtone Xtal in one slot..

 I will investigate further  as I seem to have forgotten about it and what this acheived

Mark GM4ISM

My recollection, I think  from the guys at Thanet Electronics (I used to work there occasionally), is that the Xtals were not the 'normal' cut to allow for more tuning range

I did try with a normal Xtal once and it didn't tune over a large enough range

Given these are rather elderly radios  its a bit of a long shot

On 22/07/2021 17:32, Andy G4JNT wrote:
[...]

Hello Mike

Sorry been ages since I actually used it I had to dig it out from storage to check, glad it sparked the idea though.

Kevin G6UCY

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I'm trying to get an old IC202 prepped as a loan rig to drive my old

portable 10GHz transverter, to lend to an amateur returning to radio who

is interested in 10GHz (Huddersfield area). I'm adding a counter on the

LO to give a decent frequency display but I  am missing one thing.  I am

looking for a VXO crystal that covers 144.8 to 145MHz to cover the

higher beacons. The crystal is designated 36-5

Has anyone got a spare one left over from a dead IC202 please?

Thanks

Mark GM4ISM

https://www.avg.com

--

Andy (out keeping fit)

SAM JEWELL

Remember, third overtone crystals, operated on their fundamental, tend to have a larger pulling range than fundamental parallel mode crystals. In the 70s I built a 9MHz IF 2m SSB rig that used 27MHz, third overtone, radio control channel crystals on their 9MHz fundamental and then multiplied to 135MHz as the LO. These could be pulled over 250kHz with acceptable stability but hugely non linear tuning!
73 de Sam, G4DDK

Sent tomorrow from my time machine

[...]

Julian, G3YGF

Hi,
The 144.8-145 MHz crystal I have in a very old 202 (70s/early 80s)  is marked 36-5, QSL No. 14.93772.

Measured with a 50 ohm source/50 ohm scope (without neutralising the 6pF Holder capacitance):
its series resonant frequency is            14.929620MHz.
its 3rd overtone series resonant freq is 44.842910MHz.
(both GPS locked)

With a bit more effort I could measure the 20 or 30pF parallel resonant freqs if that would be helpful...

I don't know whether they were ordered as fundamentals or 3rd overtones...
This one was marked QSL, so you could contact them in the hope they still have info on how they were specified...
It's only 40 years ago!

Julian, G3YGF

On 22/07/2021 17:43, Mark GM4ISM via groups.io wrote:

[...]

Alan Beard

From the "crystals junk box" here in Sydney, Australia:

Freq, number, +10.7 or other ideas
44.3000,12,"55",132.9,,,,,
44.5000,15,"x32-1296=128.0 FT897D Air band",133.5,144.2,,,,
44.7000,27,"55.4",134.1,144.8,,,,
44.9000,24,"55.6",134.7,145.4,,,,
45.1000,19,"3rd x32-1296=147.2",135.3,146,,,,

Possibly for the Plessey MTR8000 series radios, the big black diecast front and back,
extruded sides, plugin cards box with a DB25 cable to the control head. Very possibly
from a UK design except for our Australian designed control head.

The synth, designed around Motorola CMOS parts ran at about 3MHz and with a TTL /8
chip could cover a reasonable band spread of channels. 45MHz IF.

Do any of you UK guys remember these radios?

Alan VK2ZIW

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 00:36:47 +0100, Julian, G3YGF wrote

--

> Andy (out keeping fit)

Alan VK2ZIW
Before the Big Bang, God, Sela.
OpenWebMail 2.53, nothing in the cloud.

Mark GM4ISM

Thanks Alan and all

I now have been offered an original crystal so the search is over for now.

 I did have some success with the 44MHz 3rd overtone crystals but all of the ones in my junk box were too low in frequency

The best stable  range I saw was 120kHz of pull. I have managed a non-linear 250kHz from original rocks.  If I had had the right  44MHz frequency it probably would have done the job. My best effort was from a 44.775 MHz crystal, which  worked from 144.780 to 144.900 although that range would shift further LF  This suggest that a 44.9MHz overtone crystal would be about right. Very much in line with Julian G3YGF's findings

When I retire (very soon) I will perhaps play with a simple PLL as a replacement LO for my other IC202 (which is also missing the beacon band crystals).  the Si5351 looks like it may be adequate, especially as a microwave transverter driver source as strong adjacent signal issues are not too common on 3cm

Thanks again for all the help

Mark GM4ISM

From the "crystals junk box" here in Sydney, Australia:

--

> Andy (out keeping fit)

Alan VK2ZIW
Before the Big Bang, God, Sela.
OpenWebMail 2.53, nothing in the cloud.

Andy G4JNT

G3WDG took this design and used it as an LO for his IC202 used as an IF for 10GHz EME.

He now has a fully CAT controlled IC202 that, when used with WSJT-X, can fully correct Doppler automatically.

On Fri, 23 Jul 2021 at 10:08, Mark GM4ISM via groups.io <gm4ism=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

From the "crystals junk box" here in Sydney, Australia:

--

> Andy (out keeping fit)

Alan VK2ZIW
Before the Big Bang, God, Sela.
OpenWebMail 2.53, nothing in the cloud.

Mike G7AQA

Gents,

Thanks are also due from me, for it is me that the 3cms loan system from Mark is destined for! And, of course, thanks to Mark!

I'm looking forward to giving it a go and will be making the short trip to Ilkley Moor once I've got the system all together to listen for some beacons and get used to it. Hopefully it won't be too long before I'm arranging to go up there with the intention of having a qso...

Cheers, Mike, G7AQA

Dave - G4RQI

Hello Mike,

Thank you for revealing yourself... Mark said you were in the Huddersfield area though QRZ suggests otherwise.

I don’t have 3cm up often however it isn’t too long a job to swap antennas as I reminded myself this afternoon. Drop me a line if you would like a test though others are also QRV, G4DBN and G3YJR etc.

David – G4RQI (also nr Huddersfield) 😊