Topics

High Amp plugs/sockets

militaryoperator

Thinking about my new 23 and 13Cm units I might put the psu in a separate box then have sockets for the 15A 28V outputs but was wondering which plug/sockets to use, something that can carry current but is readily available.

I have boxes of old stuff, 4, 6, 8 pin Jones etc but its a bit old looking.

Wonder what others use to carry such supplies?  I was thinking of a 4 pin type to carry the 28 and maybe 12V as well.
Needs to be big enough pins to get thick wire on, I don't think the 4 pin din is suitable.

These Molex do a multi-pin, used on a lot of rigs but they never seem to be a good fit on the chassis mount side though. Always a bit wobbly.

So, suggestions?   (yes, already heard that one!)

Ben.

--------------------------------------
Curator, Owner and Display coordinator
Military Wireless Museum
Kidderminster, UK.

This message was meant for the recipient
Any likeness to persons living or dead is odd
---------------------------------------

ian hope (2E0IJH)

I use 8 pin bulgin sockets as used on disco lights on lots of my kit, 6A at 230v , use a couple of pins doubled up when need more

Ian
M5IJH

Sent: Monday, January 04, 2021 at 12:09 PM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944@...>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] High Amp plugs/sockets
[...]

Martin Phillips G4CIO

I like Anderson powerpole connectors. Panel mount options are available, but a flying lead may be OK for your purpose. You can stack them so a four-way would be feasible.

Martin/

On 4/1/21 12:09 PM, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
[...]

g4cch_1

I used these with no problems so far
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SP21-4-Pin-Connector-IP68-Waterproof-Circular-Cable-Plug-Panel-Mount-Socket-30A-/122581089583
On the 4 pin connector, the pins will take a 4mm2 wire

73, Howard G4CCH

Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...>

I standardised on Anderson, another ham from my club went for XT60, if you google XT60E-F and XT60E-M you'll find chassis mountable versions.

--
Clint. M0UAW IO83

No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Stephen Tompsett

Anderson Powerpole.

The 30A series can be can be PCB mounted with the appropriate contacts or  panel mounted in an appropriate slot or using the 1462G1 mounting plate. A number of people sell 3D printed panel mounts....

N.B. I use yellow/black for 24-28V supplies and yellow/violet for 48V

On 04/01/2021 12:09, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)
Tel: 01788 578940
Mob: 07956 855816

militaryoperator

I used these with no problems so far
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SP21-4-Pin-Connector-IP68-Waterproof-Circular-Cable-Plug-Panel-Mount-Socket-30A-/122581089583
On the 4 pin connector, the pins will take a 4mm2 wire

73, Howard G4CCH

Thanks Howard, maybe a bit big for my use.

Ben

Paul G8AQA

Powerpole are good particularly for indoors.
Red for 12V and Orange for 24/28V  They will take thick wires.
They can be banked for multiway and there are panel mounting holders for them.
For weatherproof the SP21 circular connectors are good.

Paul G8AQA

Neil Smith G4DBN

I use the big SBS50 Anderson connectors. Somewhat overkill at 15 amps, but there is a nice safety margin.  The bigger sizes even some with a tee handle to help engagement/disengagement.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/heavy-duty-power-connectors/1624616/ probably cheaper from other sources.

They are sometimes listed as Golf cart connectors.

Some come with chassis-mounting or even PCB mounting kits.  I use some of the 600 amp polarised connectors for my motorhome battery stack, it has a big tee handle on the loose cable connector, and the other part is bolted to the vehicle frame.

The SBS50s are genderless, like the small powerpoles.  There are various other high-current connectorsm but the Anderson stuff seems to work fine.  You need a serious crimp plier, but I have soldered a few of them.  Colour coding is another benefit, so I don't go sticking a 50V supply into a 28V or 12 V PA.

Neil G4DBN

[...]

http://g4dbn.uk

g4cch_1

Edited

If you need smaller, then look for SP13 connectors. I have these for power connections in my shack now, except for high current use.

73, Howard G4CCH

militaryoperator

Anderson Powerpole.
The 30A series can be can be PCB mounted with the appropriate contacts or  panel mounted in an appropriate slot or using the 1462G1 mounting plate. A number of people sell 3D printed panel mounts....

Thanks for connents. Powerpole seem ok for lead to lead, chassis mounting seems a bit iffy and a hard slot to cut!
The 3d holders seem costly.

Molex seems poss at the moment but will keep searching, hi.

Ben.

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I'm using  Neutrik "Speakon" ... 40A per contact continuous, 50A at 50% duty cycle ...  maybe a little oddball, but they work for me.

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 at 12:57, g4cch_1 <g4cch_1@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

If you need smaller, then look for SP13 connectors. I have these for power connections in my shack now, except for high current use.

73, Howard G4CCH

neil whiting

CPC stock the SP13 connectors.

73,  Neil  G4BRK

On Mon, 4 Jan 2021 at 12:57, g4cch_1 <g4cch_1@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

If you need smaller, then look for SP13 connectors. I have these for power connections in my shack now, except for high current use.

73, Howard G4CCH

Neil Smith G4DBN

I just bolt the big connectors flat against the back of the rack cases. No odd-shaped hole to cut then, other than for the wires to go through, and nothing to get snapped off by my clumsiness.

Neil

Conrad, PA5Y

I also use SP15 and SP21 connectors for my masthead boxes and ‘station controller’ which is a box with a sequencer and lots of switches for preamps and relays as well as a PTT selector for amplifier control. I use a cable gland and a male and female connector wrapped in self amalgamating tape at the masthead box. So far 3 years of completely trouble free service. I do not have high currents though but the waterproofing and contact reliability do seem to be very good.

73

Conrad PA5Y