Topics

Hermes Lite 2 as microwave IF

Neil Smith G4DBN

Is anyone using (or plotting to use) a Hermes Lite 2 as IF for microwave transverters? I'm intending to use one with an Anglian or 70cm transverter but would like to share the pain and gnashing of teeth (or deep joy of success) with others of a like mind. https://www.makerfabs.com/hermes-lite-2.html

--
Neil
http://g4dbn.uk

neil whiting

Hi Neil,

I've been using one for some time. I'm very pleased with it, in fact I bought 2 more.

I had to add a socket for separate RX input but there is an easy connection point on
the jumper which links the boards (assuming you have the N2ADR filter PCB as well -
this is useful as it passes the low power output to the back panel and allows an occasional
trip to the dark side (HF operation)). I attenuate the 40mW low power output to 1mW to match
the level out of the K3 and send via a switchbox to the transverter stack. I also added a 28MHz
bandpass filter with the attenuator, but had no evidence that it was needed.

Software is generally good - needs a bit of messing with occasionally but I sure you are up
to sorting that. I've used Quisk, SparkSDR and just playing with LinHPSDR at present which
is not quite so complete but has a beautiful interface.

Let me know if you have any questions.

73, Neil  G4BRK

On Fri, 29 Jan 2021 at 11:08, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Is anyone using (or plotting to use) a Hermes Lite 2 as IF for microwave
transverters? I'm intending to use one with an Anglian or 70cm
transverter but would like to share the pain and gnashing of teeth (or
deep joy of success) with others of a like mind.
https://www.makerfabs.com/hermes-lite-2.html

--
Neil
http://g4dbn.uk

Jim, GI1CET

Neil

Been using one for quite a while with an anglian, I use it directly without the extra board, configured for two port working, use it with Simon's SDR Console which is superb.

Will send pics and more detail later, up to ears in Kitchen floor tiles at the moment.

Regards

Jim, GI1CET

Sent from TypeApp

On 29 Jan 2021, at 11:08, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
Is anyone using (or plotting to use) a Hermes Lite 2 as IF for microwave
transverters? I'm intending to use one with an Anglian or 70cm
transverter but would like to share the pain and gnashing of teeth (or
deep joy of success) with others of a like mind.
https://www.makerfabs.com/hermes-lite-2.html

Neil Smith G4DBN

My Hermes Lite 2 just arrived via Fedex from Makerfabs Shenzhen in four working days.  In related news, the parts I sent to Germany on 19th Jan are still stuck in limbo in a UPS warehouse somewhere. I can't get any of the reliable carriers to accept consignments for Australia at any price, and I've had three failed carrier collections for antenna feeds and heatspreaders to UK destinations this week.

Marvellous.

And on related-related news
Been notified that at least two of the three audio beacon keyer boards sent to Australia arrived within 2 - 3 weeks of sending
RM 1st class large letter

AND a RM van is just drawing-up...

I now has big power supply

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 at 10:36, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:
My Hermes Lite 2 just arrived via Fedex from Makerfabs Shenzhen in four
working days.  In related news, the parts I sent to Germany on 19th Jan
are still stuck in limbo in a UPS warehouse somewhere. I can't get any
of the reliable carriers to accept consignments for Australia at any
price, and I've had three failed carrier collections for antenna feeds
and heatspreaders to UK destinations this week.

Marvellous.

Neil G4DBN

G0FCU

And my (non-radio related) parcel from Germany via UPS is still at Nurnburg where it has sat all week although UPS have told me they are expecting to deliver it tomorrow. It's not impossible they will but I somehow doubt it.