Heatshrink

John Lemay

I've spent part of today tidying up cables and repositioning masthead boxes
on 23, 13 and 9cms. While doing this it became clear that I could make a
better job of it by changing an angle N type to a straight one.

When I stripped back the glued heatshrink I discovered that it had not
adhered to the cable (LDF4-50) at all, and it wasn't much better on the plug
body. It wasn't an eBay cheapo buy, but it wasn't from Andrews/Commscope
either.

Any recommendations for decent quality sticky heatshrink please ?

Thanks

John G4ZTR

ian hope (2E0IJH)

John I use the 3M stuff I also use for work splicing cables, decent amount of glue seems to come out ends and never had a issue with it

https://www.3m.co.uk/3M/en_GB/electrical-construction-maintenance-uk/solutions/heat-shrink-technology/

Ian
M5IJH

Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2021 at 7:37 PM
From: "John Lemay" <john@...>
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] Heatshrink
I've spent part of today tidying up cables and repositioning masthead boxes
on 23, 13 and 9cms. While doing this it became clear that I could make a
better job of it by changing an angle N type to a straight one.

When I stripped back the glued heatshrink I discovered that it had not
adhered to the cable (LDF4-50) at all, and it wasn't much better on the plug
body. It wasn't an eBay cheapo buy, but it wasn't from Andrews/Commscope
either.

Any recommendations for decent quality sticky heatshrink please ?

Thanks

John G4ZTR

Lou Blasco

Hi John,

Rather than heat shrink, I use amalgamating Butyl tape which forms an excellent weatherproof barrier that is not sticky to the touch. Even after more than 10 years out in the weather, silver RF connectors are still bright and shiny without a hint of tarnish. To remove, just cut away with a sharp blade. It might be an alternate solution to your non sticky heat shrink.

image.png

Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2021 at 7:37 PM
From: "John Lemay" <john@...>
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
I've spent part of today tidying up cables and repositioning masthead boxes
on 23, 13 and 9cms. While doing this it became clear that I could make a
better job of it by changing an angle N type to a straight one.

When I stripped back the glued heatshrink I discovered that it had not
adhered to the cable (LDF4-50) at all, and it wasn't much better on the plug
body. It wasn't an eBay cheapo buy, but it wasn't from Andrews/Commscope
either.

Any recommendations for decent quality sticky heatshrink please ?

Thanks

John G4ZTR

Alan Melia

Hi John I have a fair length of adhesive heatshrink in stock. It came from Rapid a couple of years back and is big enough to fit over an N-type connection. I can send you a bit to try if it would help.

I tend to use adhesive tape and self-amalgamating tape as was demo'd to me by some professional riggers when the company I was with ran a few common base PMR (repeater) stations on TV sites.

Either way the glue adhesion to the jacket is vital to stop moisture creeping into the connection.

Alan
G3NYK

I've spent part of today tidying up cables and repositioning masthead boxes
on 23, 13 and 9cms. While doing this it became clear that I could make a
better job of it by changing an angle N type to a straight one.

When I stripped back the glued heatshrink I discovered that it had not
adhered to the cable (LDF4-50) at all, and it wasn't much better on the plug
body. It wasn't an eBay cheapo buy, but it wasn't from Andrews/Commscope
either.

Any recommendations for decent quality sticky heatshrink please ?

Thanks

John G4ZTR

Paul G8AQA

Hi John,

eBay item number: 282357541289

 works ok for me. Plenty of glue oozes out. Various sizes available.

Paul G8AQA

On 06/04/2021 19:37, John Lemay wrote:
I've spent part of today tidying up cables and repositioning masthead boxes
on 23, 13 and 9cms. While doing this it became clear that I could make a
better job of it by changing an angle N type to a straight one.

When I stripped back the glued heatshrink I discovered that it had not
adhered to the cable (LDF4-50) at all, and it wasn't much better on the plug
body. It wasn't an eBay cheapo buy, but it wasn't from Andrews/Commscope
either.

Any recommendations for decent quality sticky heatshrink please ?

Thanks

John G4ZTR

https://www.avg.com

frank evans

John

As someone who spent his working life installing professional
communications aerials can I recommend you to Denso tape, It's the
absolute best. A light Hessian tape seriously impregnated with a heavy
wax. Inexpensive, and available in a range of widths from your local
plumber's merchants or on line

Frank GW8AWM

I've spent part of today tidying up cables and repositioning masthead
boxes on 23, 13 and 9cms. While doing this it became clear that I could
make a better job of it by changing an angle N type to a straight one.

When I stripped back the glued heatshrink I discovered that it had not
adhered to the cable (LDF4-50) at all, and it wasn't much better on the
plug body. It wasn't an eBay cheapo buy, but it wasn't from
Andrews/Commscope either.

Any recommendations for decent quality sticky heatshrink please ?

Thanks

John G4ZTR

Conrad, PA5Y

Hello John, the Raychem stuff is perfect.

https://awbroadcast.com/produkt/raychem-mwt-m-25-8-schrumpfschlauch-1000mm/

You must be able to find a UK source I would have thought.

73

Conrad PA5Y

I've spent part of today tidying up cables and repositioning masthead boxes on 23, 13 and 9cms. While doing this it became clear that I could make a better job of it by changing an angle N type to a straight one.

When I stripped back the glued heatshrink I discovered that it had not adhered to the cable (LDF4-50) at all, and it wasn't much better on the plug body. It wasn't an eBay cheapo buy, but it wasn't from Andrews/Commscope either.

Any recommendations for decent quality sticky heatshrink please ?

Thanks

John G4ZTR

Conrad, PA5Y

Hi Frank I use Raychem heatshrink with overlapped 3M self-amalgamating tape and finally Denso tape. I also have bright shiny connectors after a good number of years. Don't forget to wind the tape so that when it tries to unravel it tightens the connector. I am sure I'm not the only one who has seen that if you do it wrong it can unscrew the connectors. Not seen this happen for years but I have heard from other installers that it is quite common.

Denso tape is really the best thing for the job.

73

Conrad PA5Y