Handy solution for 10GHz?

Gareth G4XAT

I bought one of these boards on the off-chance.....since then I have done further research and found this link (scroll down too) http://www.on6ll.be/on7fi/10GHz_CBNL/10GHz_CBNL.htm
With a Pluto as the modulated TX IF source and perhaps a switched in DDS for receive duties (or just use a Bullseye LNB...) it seems a remarkably handy piece of kit.
Has anyone fed one of these with either DC 8V as shown here or the 0-48V as per original?
My thinking is as follows....So output on 10.370GHz - 2537MHz (Pluto TX) = 7833MHz, divided by 3 for TX LO = 2611MHz.

Gareth

Maarten PA0MHE

Hi Gareth,

I have bought the same module.

I'm designing a PCB which replaces the original IF PCB.
My PCB generates the LO2 1987.2MHz (LO1 = 4x1987.2) and converts the first IF 2419.2 MHz to 432 MHz both for TX and RX.
The frequencies are so chosen that with one ADF4351 I can make the LO1 and LO2 with one oscillator and stay within the filters.

Experiments using the 48V buck converter failed due to a mistake my side, I think it is broken now, So I supply the module with 6.5V for the PA, and 8V for the LO and RX part.

when interested I can send more info.

73's Marten PA0MHE

Gareth G4XAT

Interesting Marten, more info gratefully received, I'm hoping to use a single LO and then adjust the RX and TX frequencies to suit the two filter passbands. As the Pluto will receive anywhere in that region it would make it very simple. I'd be interested to know how good the RX front end is in terms of gain/sensitivity/selectivity etc.For DATV RX the highest I can go is 2450MHz (minitiouner limit).
73
Gareth

Maarten PA0MHE

I made a kind of double conversion solution, with a first IF on 2419.2 MHz and second on 432 MHz. This with one single (ADF4351) LO on 1987.2 MHz. This LO is used as input to the LO1 x4 multiplier on the module resulting in 7948.8 MHz as first LO and the LO is used to convert down to 432.
Although I have a Pluto this solution is more interesting for me, still I used the Pluto and an ADF4351 module for a quick test and it delivers nearly 1W on 10368 MHz.

See here the IF part off the PCB I made, the other part is a ADF4351 with low noise supply but is straightforward.

This PCB replaces the original IF PCB and fits within the screening. The MCX_PCB connectors of the original IF PCB I intend to resuse on my PCB.

See the mixer and SWAF on the schematic I got from Chipbank (thanks to Mike). The 2 layer 100x85mm PCB is ordered yesterday from  JLCPCB.

'73 Maarten PA0MHE

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

For 10G, I have ordered one of the "french" kits from Neil DBN, I am not sure those 10G PCBs you used are still available on eBay? It was Bison electronics I think selling them in .PL?

On 19/06/2021 12:26, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
For 10G, I have ordered one of the "french" kits from Neil DBN,

Hi folks, the reason I am abnormally quiet at the moment and my radio and machining work is very much curtailed is because Caroline is in the very last stage of her seven-year cancer journey. I am spending all my "spare" time carrying out nursing duties, monitoring oxygen levels and managing the household as her many friends and relatives come to see her for the "last" time.  She is a tough old boot and that "last" visit often gets repeated.  She has a PMR446 handheld with an alarm button so I don't need to be with her all the time, but her voice is now extremely weak, so if she wants to listen to music or podcasts or the radio, she bleeps me and whispers into the handheld, then I yell an Alexa command to get her Echo Dot to play whatever.  It works even if I am 150 metres away down in the antenna farm. Neighbours must be a bit alarmed at me shouting random stuff about Bach preludes from the dark depths of the woodland (Microwave absorber par excellence). Marvellous stuff, radio.

Sorry I haven't replied to many emails, normal service will be resumed once nature takes its course. I am radically sleep-deprived, so replying to emails is sometimes just too much. It's like when you have a new baby in the house, but it knows how to use a handheld rather than just bawling. Caroline is bored with the whole "dying" thing and wants it to be over, we've been on borrowed time for three or four years now, and it's hardly a shock that she won't be here much longer. The extra time has been a great gift. It is great that she gets to see her great-granddaughter regularly, I just hope Polly is old enough to remember her great-grandma.

I'm just waiting for a batch of septums to arrive from Ron G6BMY, then I'll start shipping the 10 GHz transverter kits. I've built three and they all work fine. I have a hundred cardboard boxes, posting bags, several reams of paper for the component sheets, schematic and layout, and a 30-page construction manual which is being proof-checked.  All that remains is cutting all those component tapes to length and Sellotaping them to the parts sheets.  Quite relaxing

I have a waiting list of two for any cancelled orders, but so far, the attrition rate is very low. If anyone is late to the party and wants to join the queue, you are welcome, but don't count any chickens...

https://groups.io/g/BVA-transverters-uk

Same delays also apply to the F6BVA QO100 kits, I have almost all the parts now, but some are on very long back order, so I've had to make some substitutions.

I still have a few Wavelab interface and power/control PCBs to ship, and a fair few antenna feeds, roof-rack mast bearing clamps, SCAM spigots, 122 GHz, 76 GHz and 24 GHz parts and a heap of heatspreaders adn watercooling plates to complete and ship, plus some components for EME antenna mounts to get finished.

I'll send updates when there is news.

Neil G4DBN

John G3UUT

Neil,

Thank you for telling us that, we all tend to try and keep this stuff bottled up and it doesn't do any good, you have my greatest sympathy and it's great that you are managing to keep something of a normal life going as well. My wife was diagnosed with Alzheimers almost exactly ten years ago now and is a long way down the road.  I know how difficult it is to keep all the balls in the air - it's been especially awful over the past lock downs (for you as well I'm sure) as I didn't want to risk carers coming in but things are now getting better again now we've been jabbed and carers are back.

Best wishes to you all
John G3UUT

On 19/06/2021 14:37, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:
[...]

Don't worry about us matey, you spend the quality time you need to.

On Sat, 19 Jun 2021 at 15:35, John G3UUT <g3uut@...> wrote:
[...]

Indeed it was from Bison electronics in SP, but unfortunate not listed anymore. I think a lot of them ended up in SP and YO

Gareth G4XAT

Maarten, I'm assuming that with the on-board voltage converter U/S you just 'back-fed' 8 volts to the relevant pins on the 20 way socket and all the other voltages took care of themselves?
Its going to be a lot simpler for /P to run from 12V so I'm thinking of using a LM338T (3Amp) to produce the 8V from 12-13.8.
Have you managed any measurements on the front end performance, or are you hoping most of that will come from your IF solution?
Thanks
Gareth

Maarten PA0MHE

Gareth, I feed 8 volt (~50mA) to pins 3, 5 and13 of the 20v connector, and 6.5V (~1.3A) to pin 11 (internally in the RF module the buck is short circuited). I'm not sure if 6.5V is the right value but in this way the MMIC is supplied with about 5V, The 6.5V is made out of 12V by an Ebay Buck on my PCB.
I didn't do the testing of my own PCB yet as I didn't yet receive the naked PCB from JLCPCB yet, but this is in transit. I have a PCB spare if you are interested ?
So no any RX testing yet. TX testing resulted in a little bit less than 1 Watt output.
73's Maarten