'Group out of space'

Greg - ZL3IX

Hi, I just tried to make a post with some attachments but got the above message, and the system swallowed the email without trace. Does somebody need to do some archiving?

73, Greg, ZL3IX

Andy G4JNT

There are a huge number of "Photos attached to Emails" most of which are irrelevant, not worth keeping / obsolete.
It only seem possible to delete them one by one - which will take ages.
Does anyone know how to do a global delete of these?

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 03:26, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:
Hi, I just tried to make a post with some attachments but got the above message, and the system swallowed the email without trace. Does somebody need to do some archiving?

73, Greg, ZL3IX

Lou Blasco

The group owner has the option to manage what happens to attachments. The simplest is to delete oldest attachments to make way for the new.

https://groups.io/helpcenter/ownersmanual/1/customizing-group-settings/message-policy-settings

Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

On 22/06/2021 4:07 pm, Andy G4JNT wrote:
There are a huge number of "Photos attached to Emails" most of which are irrelevant, not worth keeping / obsolete.
It only seem possible to delete them one by one - which will take ages.
Does anyone know how to do a global delete of these?

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 03:26, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:
Hi, I just tried to make a post with some attachments but got the above message, and the system swallowed the email without trace. Does somebody need to do some archiving?

73, Greg, ZL3IX

Andy G4JNT

Yes, and I have done a bit, deleting older and clearly obsolete stuff
So a few attachments/files should now be possible

The breakdown of usage is :

   Files    512MB
   Photos in dedicated folders  10MB
   Attachments Storage   438MB

The latter one, photos attached to emails, is the most problematical.  They can only be deleted one-by-one and generate just a few hundred kB only each time

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 07:13, Lou Blasco <vk3alb@...> wrote:

[...]

Now found out how to delete messages with large attachments - and have been going through, deleting those messages with the largest ones .
THIS INCLUDES A FEW RECENT POSTS

So, sorry Ian, the .PDF of your unloved K2RIW has gone :-(

A general note to everyone.
It is very easy to want to attach a large picture or document to an email, but please consider if there isn't a better way of storing it and just posting a link.    There are a number of places on the web you can store stuff.

(It's easiest, of course, if you have your own web space and can use that wonderful little utility DROPF)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 07:34, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
[...]

Right...
Been through and deleted the biggest attachments, thereare now just a huge pile in the 1.1Meg and smaller size that it's tooooooo tedious to go through each and delete now
(it takes about 10 mouse clicks to delete a message then go back to a sorted list to look for the next one - GroupsIO don't make it easy to do bulk management)

We are now down from the 1GB limit to 777MB   so that should ease things for a bit

I'll do as Lou suggested and set to "delete oldest attachment" for future size limits

But please consider very carefully if you want to attach large files
And users, if someone does attach a large file you are interested in, download and keep a copy as it may not last forever in the message archive.

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 07:07, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
There are a huge number of "Photos attached to Emails" most of which are irrelevant, not worth keeping / obsolete.
It only seem possible to delete them one by one - which will take ages.
Does anyone know how to do a global delete of these?

Although you think the photos are obsolete, it would be a shame if they were useful to someone. How about asking people to chip in for the $220 or year needed to upgrade the membership level? Count me in for £10.

Having run a few groups where this has been necessary, my experience is that it is easy to get the money.

Dave

Andy G4JNT

It never works like that.    And I'm not forking out just in the hope that enough will be raised EVERY YEAR to cover the cost.   It would involve a lot of cajoling , faffing and things, and I really can't be bothered, when a bit of self discipline amongst members can control things.

Attachments to emails are usually lost into the depth of the archives, anyway, after a few months.  So even if anyone wanted to find something it takes an awful lot of searching.

After this morning's session, I've recovered 20 - 25% of space and from now on, if that fills up, earlier stuff will be automatically deleted.   But on present form, that should be good for a year.
Any files really worth keeping and needed for future reference can be placed in the Files section under specific albums.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ And on the subject of donations -  The Bell Hill Beacons  GB3SC# have regular annual costs for site rental etc. ~~~~~~~~~
You can donate to keep them operational at
(Don't be too concerned when the paypal email address changes to 'JNT after you've clicked donate - the whole SCRBG site is a subset of mine now, and that includes Paypal
Now, about that Porsche Taycan I fancy... :-)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 12:30, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
It never works like that.    And I'm not forking out just in the hope that enough will be raised EVERY YEAR to cover the cost.

You don't need to fork out - others will donate the money first. I can tell you from personal experience it does work out. I run two groups where money has to be paid, and it is never a problem getting the money.

On the VNWA group, someone suggested chipping in for that. I wrote I did not feel that was a good idea, as the group is there to support a commercial product. But in the case of an amateur group, I would certainly have no problems, and I suspect there will be plenty of others who would do likewise.

 It would involve a lot of cajoling , faffing and things, and I really can't be bothered, when a bit of self discipline amongst members can control things.

I fail to see what faffing around it would be.

1) Take the money. Leave it in PayPal
2) If the money covers the cost, pay it out.
3) If the income does not cover the cost, just refund people.

Attachments to emails are usually lost into the depth of the archives, anyway, after a few months.  So even if anyone wanted to find something it takes an awful lot of searching.

I would disagree.

After this morning's session, I've recovered 20 - 25% of space and from now on, if that fills up, earlier stuff will be automatically deleted.   But on present form, that should be good for a year.
Any files really worth keeping and needed for future reference can be placed in the Files section under specific albums.

Now there is where I do see a problem - it is hard to find a file in the files area.  It is much easier to search an email for a subject and find the attachment. Fortunately I receive emails directly from the group, so they get stored here.

Anyway, we are all entitled to our own opinions, and you are the group owner, so it is ultimately your decision.

Dave

Greg - ZL3IX

Thanks for answering my request, Andy. Is it possible for the person who makes a post to delete their own offering? Mine will only be relevant for a couple of days while I see if anyone recognises my old satellite dish/LNB, and then I will be more than happy to delete it.

73, Greg, ZL3IX

Andy G4JNT

Yes, I think so.
GO into messages on the Group site and delete it.
It's the big attachments that are the problem.
Like 15 Meg PDFs :-)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 21:39, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:
Thanks for answering my request, Andy. Is it possible for the person who makes a post to delete their own offering? Mine will only be relevant for a couple of days while I see if anyone recognises my old satellite dish/LNB, and then I will be more than happy to delete it.

73, Greg, ZL3IX

Dave G6HEF

Edited

That might include me…

So, G6HEF.com is born, probably not before time.

I shall no go and delete my images.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 07:54 AM, Andy G4JNT wrote:

THIS INCLUDES A FEW RECENT POST

Lou Blasco

Nice job Dave,

It also looks useful at 13cm and perhaps 70cm. A nice bit of kit for the test bench.

Regards

Lou
VK3ALB

[Edited Message Follows]