Topics

GB3USK -1296.870MHZ

John Fell

Not hearing GB3USK - anyone else copy it ?
Usual UK beacons are at nominal levels .

73
John
G0API

Phil Guttridge G3TCU

Yes, it's about a normal signal here but I don't know if Graham G3TCT
will be able to keep it going for normal hours much longer, it's solar &
wind powered and there isn't much of either at the moment!

73, Phil G3TCU

On 05/12/2019 09:37, John Fell via Groups.Io wrote:
Not hearing GB3USK - anyone else copy it ?
Usual UK beacons are at nominal levels .

73
John
G0API

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Martin Phillips G4CIO

It's fine here, I can hear it whatever direction the aerial is pointing.

Martin/

IO81UQ

On 5/12/19 9:37 AM, John Fell wrote:
Not hearing GB3USK - anyone else copy it ?
Usual UK beacons are at nominal levels .

73
John
G0API

malcolm johnson

Hi John,

good signal here too, with the mast down.

73

Malcolm G0UHY

Yes, it's about a normal signal here but I don't know if Graham G3TCT
will be able to keep it going for normal hours much longer, it's solar &
wind powered and there isn't much of either at the moment!

73, Phil G3TCU

On 05/12/2019 09:37, John Fell via Groups.Io wrote:
> Not hearing GB3USK - anyone else copy it ?
> Usual UK beacons are at nominal levels .
>
> 73
> John
> G0API

John Fell

Hi Phil,
Tnxs for the report -it is back at normal level here now .Perhaps I looked too early and it was still on overnight standby .
Seasons Greetings
John
G0API

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 at 10:07, Phil Guttridge G3TCU <p.guttridge@...> wrote:
Yes, it's about a normal signal here but I don't know if Graham G3TCT
will be able to keep it going for normal hours much longer, it's solar &
wind powered and there isn't much of either at the moment!

73, Phil G3TCU

On 05/12/2019 09:37, John Fell via Groups.Io wrote:
> Not hearing GB3USK - anyone else copy it ?
> Usual UK beacons are at nominal levels .
>
> 73
> John
> G0API

John Lemay

Beacon is audible in JO01.

Phil - be careful what you wish for - I believe that rather a lot of wind is forecast for the coming few days !

John G4ZTR

Yes, it's about a normal signal here but I don't know if Graham G3TCT
will be able to keep it going for normal hours much longer, it's solar &
wind powered and there isn't much of either at the moment!

73, Phil G3TCU

On 05/12/2019 09:37, John Fell via Groups.Io wrote:
Not hearing GB3USK - anyone else copy it ?
Usual UK beacons are at nominal levels .

73
John
G0API

<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

Ralph

GB3USK 1296.870 539 Here close to Plymouth over the top of Princetown Dartmoor.

Only 529 this morning.

73

Ralph

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Phil - be careful what you wish for - I believe that rather a lot of wind is forecast for the coming few days !

John G4ZTR

Yes, it's about a normal signal here but I don't know if Graham G3TCT

will be able to keep it going for normal hours much longer, it's solar &

wind powered and there isn't much of either at the moment!

73, Phil G3TCU

On 05/12/2019 09:37, John Fell via Groups.Io wrote:

> Not hearing GB3USK - anyone else copy it ?

> Usual UK beacons are at nominal levels .

> 73

> John

> G0API

John Fell

Thanks to all who replied .

GB3USK is at nominal level still here but I may have sussed why it was missing earlier ...

Shortly after the posting to Phil , I drove down the North side of the 200Ft asl "hill" I live on top of , down into the Stour Valley.

At approx 50FT lower I could look across a pure white mist/Fog blanket and at this point the river turns in the direction of the USK beacon .
Possibly I was above the thermal layer and locked out .
On bore sight of my 39el DL6WU at 6m agl USK is normally 35dB above noise floor in 6HZ RBW .

As I mentioned earlier , all other normal UK beacons were present , but these are all to the East/NE of me and apart from G8MBU , a lot further away than USK .
Other than that the bands are extremely flat with me - where has the Tropo gone ?  Que pressure drop ..........

73
John
G0API

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 at 12:00, Ralph via Groups.Io <Ralph.Bird=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

GB3USK 1296.870 539 Here close to Plymouth over the top of Princetown Dartmoor.

Only 529 this morning.

73

Ralph

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Phil - be careful what you wish for - I believe that rather a lot of wind is forecast for the coming few days !

John G4ZTR

Yes, it's about a normal signal here but I don't know if Graham G3TCT

will be able to keep it going for normal hours much longer, it's solar &

wind powered and there isn't much of either at the moment!

73, Phil G3TCU

On 05/12/2019 09:37, John Fell via Groups.Io wrote:

> Not hearing GB3USK - anyone else copy it ?

> Usual UK beacons are at nominal levels .

> 73

> John

> G0API

Graham G3TCT

Hi John

I'm afraid the batteries are at absolute minimum and the beacon is going on and off randomly at present. If the voltage code is at 200 or less, it's likely to fail very shortly. So no need to worry about weird propagation, i guess.
Thanks for the reports.
73
Graham

Nicholas Shaxted

Hi John

I had a similar thing happen on 3cm today.

Sub-refraction was noticeable on the normal path from here to GB3MHz and GB3PKT.

PI7ALK was what is best described as “watery” a considerable amount of phase and amplitude variation attributable to either surface or very low ducting (usually tops of fog banks).

PI7ALK disappeared for a while and DB0GHZ appeared 😊

The High pressure has slipped away and is still influencing European continent activity (OE5VRL with 149km at 47GHz).

Latest ionosound data suggests that there is still an inversion affecting Paris, Brussels and Luxembourg.

Helgoland, Copenhagen and Brest show normal temperature drop with height.

Wee bit of a temp increase with height at London and Manchester, confined to below 500m, r but that will have disappeared with the advanced rain front…

As I write this I have PI7ALK a little below normal strength. I am just looking at 10368.920 for DB0VC. My signal integration/correlation process is showing a weak smudge on the waterfall for the last half hour.

Chances of seeing that grow in strength for positive identification are receding as the cloud increases.

Regards

Nick – g4ogi

Phil - be careful what you wish for - I believe that rather a lot of wind is forecast for the coming few days !

John G4ZTR

Yes, it's about a normal signal here but I don't know if Graham G3TCT

will be able to keep it going for normal hours much longer, it's solar &

wind powered and there isn't much of either at the moment!

73, Phil G3TCU

On 05/12/2019 09:37, John Fell via Groups.Io wrote:

> Not hearing GB3USK - anyone else copy it ?

> Usual UK beacons are at nominal levels .

> 73

> John

> G0API

John Fell

FB Graham - GB3USK is running at moment .
I monitor frequently and this was the first time recently that it was not there .10.10 cloud cover today but your wind generator should be generating - blowing well overnight locally .

Nick , interesting reports - tropogation has been particularly lacking here for several weeks now on 10GHZ .
I was working 10GHZ EME at G4RFR yesterday pm till 21.30 and even the EME path was poor !

Whatever happened to the EU wide October Tropo events that were regular features of the 1970/80s - we used to joke that it was the lack of Sunspots - that may need a re-think ....?

Seasons Greetings .

John
G0API

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019 at 14:25, Graham G3TCT <g3tct@...> wrote:
Hi John

I'm afraid the batteries are at absolute minimum and the beacon is going on and off randomly at present. If the voltage code is at 200 or less, it's likely to fail very shortly. So no need to worry about weird propagation, i guess.
Thanks for the reports.
73
Graham

Graham G3TCT

Was it 3 weeks early around 15 September? Worked OE5VRL on 23cm.
Graham

John said

Whatever happened to the EU wide October Tropo events that were regular features of the 1970/80s

John Worsnop

Too late, already submitted!

Sorry  J