GB3GCT


John Fell
 

The pic attached is the signal from the beacon now .
Beacon true heading is 37.2 degrees and on that heading signal is at noise floor .
The pic signal at -20dB S/N shown in PI software is with my masthead 60cm offset beaming at 55 degrees and an elevation of 7 degrees .

I found that the average signal earlier today , with no rain showing on usual radar site , was below noise floor over several hours .
However as soon as a hint of drizzle occurred signals became visible .The CW is easy to read .
There is very slight rainfall at this QTH but beacon is readable /decodeable from 10 degrees North and has several back scattered peaks between 190 and 240 degrees , with varying levels of Doppler at upto 400Hz .
This new beacon is good for RS it would seem - much more so than seen from others .
Possibly higher elevation antenna peak ? Whatever well done to all involved .

As I conclude the main carrier is at least 26dB above noise in a 6Hz RBW and increasing as measured on my SDR-IQ /Octagon LNB .
73
John
G0API 


John Fell
 

Latest image at 17 degrees off direct path and 7 deg EL.
PI decodes show -10 S/N .

G0API


Dave G1EHF
 

Hi John,

Thanks for these reports (and those from others).

As a bit of background, the beacon is located at a good local site (120 m ASL + 14 m AGL), so has a good unrestricted local take-off. However, there is screening to the North (Berks Downs) and South (Walbury/Beacon Hill/Hannington), both at approximately 10 km. So the RF is launched OK but will need enhancements to scale these obstructions. Hence RS, diffraction, ducting or other scatter will be quite evident I guess.

The antenna is a 2 x 12 slot in standard height waveguide. The slots are orientated E/W and I added a couple of aluminium 'wings' to try and smooth out the side nulls. Neil G4DBN kindly did the calc's and machined the slots.

73, Dave G1EHF


John Fell
 

image.png

Thanks for details Dave .
Above is now after rain has stopped locally .Dish pointing in direction of Salisbury where Rain Radar indicates some cloud to the North .
Peaking +20dB in 6Hz RBW , with no Elevation required .

73
John
G0API
IO80XS77JR


Andy G4JNT
 

The screening to the south can't be too bad, at least to the diffraction points of Walbury etc.
This is it received on a small 19dBi horn at Teglease Down, NGR  SU655197 which is on the Hampshire / S Downs not far from HMS Mercury as was,  at 48km distance.
Not a particularly great distance, but quite strong considering the obstruction and low gain antenna - about S6-ish certainly SSB voice strength and stronger than the MJW software predicts, that suggesting 199dB path loss, and it's a good 10dB better than that.

I don't normally do/post movies as they're such large files, but having accidently selected movie on the Phone and it nicely recorded the callsign audio in OM mode, thought it could stay :-)




On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 at 11:20, Dave G1EHF via groups.io <david.j.austen=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
As a bit of background, the beacon is located at a good local site (120 m ASL + 14 m AGL), so has a good unrestricted local take-off. However, there is screening to the North (Berks Downs) and South (Walbury/Beacon Hill/Hannington), both at approximately 10 km. So the RF is launched OK but will need enhancements to scale these obstructions. Hence RS, diffraction, ducting or other scatter will be quite evident I guess.


Andy G4JNT
 

And now with a large T-storm a couple of km from here.  PI-4 decodes via RS, same 19dBi horn pointing though the window at the rain cell.

image.png



On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 at 15:51, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
The screening to the south can't be too bad, at least to the diffraction points of Walbury etc.
This is it received on a small 19dBi horn at Teglease Down, NGR  SU655197 which is on the Hampshire / S Downs not far from HMS Mercury as was,  at 48km distance.
Not a particularly great distance, but quite strong considering the obstruction and low gain antenna - about S6-ish certainly SSB voice strength and stronger than the MJW software predicts, that suggesting 199dB path loss, and it's a good 10dB better than that.

I don't normally do/post movies as they're such large files, but having accidently selected movie on the Phone and it nicely recorded the callsign audio in OM mode, thought it could stay :-)




On Mon, 12 Jul 2021 at 11:20, Dave G1EHF via groups.io <david.j.austen=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
As a bit of background, the beacon is located at a good local site (120 m ASL + 14 m AGL), so has a good unrestricted local take-off. However, there is screening to the North (Berks Downs) and South (Walbury/Beacon Hill/Hannington), both at approximately 10 km. So the RF is launched OK but will need enhancements to scale these obstructions. Hence RS, diffraction, ducting or other scatter will be quite evident I guess.


g4bao
 

Blast! I just submitted the column without these details!
As I only take the digest, can you in future send stuff for the column direct to me.
Ta

John 


Andy G4JNT
 


>  As I only take the digest

Perhaps there's a moral there somewhere, John. ;-)
People didn't send these reports in "for the column", they were sent for Group interest




On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 at 14:29, g4bao <john@...> wrote:
Blast! I just submitted the column without these details!
As I only take the digest, can you in future send stuff for the column direct to me.
Ta

John 


Andy G4JNT
 

Actually, the RadCpm deadline is 15 July, so you've still time to send an updated copy.
That's what happened with DN last month - the 'stop-press' bit at the end re. the attenuator.



On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 at 14:38, Andy Talbot <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

>  As I only take the digest

Perhaps there's a moral there somewhere, John. ;-)
People didn't send these reports in "for the column", they were sent for Group interest




On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 at 14:29, g4bao <john@...> wrote:
Blast! I just submitted the column without these details!
As I only take the digest, can you in future send stuff for the column direct to me.
Ta

John 


Tony G4NBS
 

In defence of John I had to switch to digest to avoid those continuous bounced message errors from groups.io.

I was continually having to unlock my account due to this group, others did not appear to be so problematic for some reason.
Since switching to the digest I have not been locked out for something like 2 years.....

Regards
Tony G4NBS


Alan Melia
 


Tony this is/was a problem with BT but it is easily solved (well certinly in my case)
 
You may already have done this.....but maybe some missed previous descriptions I still see some bounced mails on the list I run but these are generally because the receiving ISP has tagged the mail incorrectly as spam.
 
Go to web-mail click on your address and click settings on the drop-down menu
select Mail on the LHS menu
then you will see a menu allowing you to block senders or domains
(make sure you did not block anything you want)
Then go to the lower item and set groups.io as a ''safe sender''
 
Without this it seems BT appliesa very aggressive heuristic decision on all incomming mails.
After doing this I got most mails through though some did land in thespam folder until they were approved.
 
Since doing this I have not been bouncing any list server mail distribution including time-nuts (febo) and mailman or other bulk senders
 
I have been receiving groups.io mail for severalyears not and I cant remember any nasties thathave crept though on any group (unlike Yahoo!)
 
Alan
G3NYK
 

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2021 5:19 PM
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] GB3GCT

In defence of John I had to switch to digest to avoid those continuous bounced message errors from groups.io.

I was continually having to unlock my account due to this group, others did not appear to be so problematic for some reason.
Since switching to the digest I have not been locked out for something like 2 years.....

Regards
Tony G4NBS