G3WDG Filters for 2 mtr to 10GHz receiver

Dennis_G6YBC

Hi All

Whilst we are on about G3WDG kits etc. I’m after some of the Pipe cap filters for the 2mtr to 10 GHz RX.

Willing to pay + postage

Thanks for possible help.

Dennis G6YBC

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Do you have the dimensions?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2022 at 23:44, Dennis_G6YBC via groups.io <g6ybc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All

Whilst we are on about G3WDG kits etc. I’m after some of the Pipe cap filters for the 2mtr to 10 GHz RX.

Willing to pay + postage

Thanks for possible help.

Dennis G6YBC

Dennis_G6YBC

Hi Robin

Sadly no,  I have the kit but these are missing so
was hoping someone here would have an idea of what I mean.

Regards

Dennis G6YBC

Steve G4HTZ

Hi Dennis
somewhere in the shed ..put away for a rainy day ..I have 2 of the round filters ? Which have a screw in the top for adjustment…believe they were soldered to the board …does this sound like what your after ….they are the genuine parts still in the bag …may take a day or so to re discover them .
--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

Andy MM0FMF

Maybe a dumb question but are the sizes not in the instructions?  I remember there was a section about how to cut and mount the probes that solder to the PCB.  I'm fairly sure they'll be a standard pipe cap size and the top was drilled and tapped for an M4 tuning screw with lock nut.

Sadly no,  I have the kit but these are missing so
was hoping someone here would have an idea of what I mean.

Regards

Dennis G6YBC

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Hi Andy,

No they were turned from brass and silver plated, with a thicker top section for a bit more "purchase" for the M4 screw.

I have a lathe and some brass bar, and I even have some filters ... but they are all soldered down so unable to measure the internals.

I did however fix my DDK004 last night (having finally taken the last child back to uni) .. its only taken me 25 years or so to get around to that!

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 09:08, Andy <mm0fmf@...> wrote:
Maybe a dumb question but are the sizes not in the instructions?  I remember there was a section about how to cut and mount the probes that solder to the PCB.  I'm fairly sure they'll be a standard pipe cap size and the top was drilled and tapped for an M4 tuning screw with lock nut.

Sadly no,  I have the kit but these are missing so
was hoping someone here would have an idea of what I mean.

Regards

Dennis G6YBC

Chris G8BKE

The dimensions are in the Microwave Handbook Vol 3 ...see attached

73

Andy MM0FMF

Ah, it's 22 years since I built mine. Thinking now, I remember they were "shiny" and felt heavier than their size suggested.

No they were turned from brass and silver plated, with a thicker top section for a bit more "purchase" for the M4 screw.

I have a lathe and some brass bar, and I even have some filters ... but they are all soldered down so unable to measure the internals.

I did however fix my DDK004 last night (having finally taken the last child back to uni) .. its only taken me 25 years or so to get around to that!

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I could turn you some up in brass ... sadly I can no longer silver plate as the fish tank full of cyanide has been deemed to be one the "you're not bringing that thing in the car" items that didn't make it through the last workshop move.  How many were you after?

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022 at 09:45, Chris G8BKE <berryway21@...> wrote:
The dimensions are in the Microwave Handbook Vol 3 ...see attached

Paul G8AQA

Brass would need to be silver plated in view of the poor conductivity of brass.
15 mm copper pipe caps adjusted to the required length should be quite adequate.  Pipe cap filters can be tuned over quite a range.

If you have a pipe expander you could increase the internal diameter to 16mm. I doubt whether this would be necessary.

If you use a BA screw rather than an ISO Metric you will get a slightly finer adjustment and better thread contact. The contact angle is 47.5 degrees rather than 60 degrees.

73
Paul G8AQA

On 17/01/2022 09:45, Chris G8BKE wrote:
The dimensions are in the Microwave Handbook Vol 3 ...see attached

Gerhard_DK4XP

Hi,

https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/G3WDG_Microwave_Designs    >

has the complete description.
You should try if you get by with pipe end caps. The tuning range is huge
and you can see what you get without soldering the cap. Slight pressure
is enough.

Last summer, I have made some measurements, too.
But my VNA works only to 8 GHz.
www.hoffmann-hochfrequenz.de/downloads/PipeCapFilters.pdf

Regards

Gerhard DK4XP

Michael Scott

They were made from 3/4 inch brass rod, I know because I made several hundred for Charlie. Initially, I sent them for silver plating, but later on Charlie found that this was not necessary. The need dried up when people found that 1/2 inch copper pipe caps ( Stop ends in the UK ) worked as well.

73, Mike, G3LYP.

On 17/01/2022 09:08, Andy wrote:

Maybe a dumb question but are the sizes not in the instructions?  I remember there was a section about how to cut and mount the probes that solder to the PCB.  I'm fairly sure they'll be a standard pipe cap size and the top was drilled and tapped for an M4 tuning screw with lock nut.

Sadly no,  I have the kit but these are missing so
was hoping someone here would have an idea of what I mean.

Regards

Dennis G6YBC

SAM JEWELL

The original pipe caps for the original G3WDG transverter and 001 multiplier were made by Cyril, G3VVB, in his workshop in the west country. We managed to find someone (apologies, forgotten the callsign but lived in the Midlands) to silver plate them for next to no cost. Between them they must have made dozens of 'filters'. I recall that Mike then volunteered to make them when Cyril was no longer able to for health reasons.

73 de Sam, G4DDK

On 17/01/2022 09:08, Andy wrote:

Maybe a dumb question but are the sizes not in the instructions?  I remember there was a section about how to cut and mount the probes that solder to the PCB.  I'm fairly sure they'll be a standard pipe cap size and the top was drilled and tapped for an M4 tuning screw with lock nut.

Sadly no,  I have the kit but these are missing so
was hoping someone here would have an idea of what I mean.

Regards

Dennis G6YBC

Dennis_G6YBC

Thanks you to all (to many to mention here) that have replied with the various information and diagram of the filter.

I have DM’d Steve hopefully he still has the original, if not thanks for the diagram to make own. Someone has said I can loan the Manual Vol 3.

Many thanks again

Dennis G6YBC

Andy MM0FMF

Dennis you can just download the info if you are keen to get moving.

I remembered right, the dimensions are in the instructions I received with my kits of parts all those years back. 😉

73
Andy

Thanks you to all (to many to mention here) that have replied with the various information and diagram of the filter.

I have DM’d Steve hopefully he still has the original, if not thanks for the diagram to make own. Someone has said I can loan the Manual Vol 3.

Many thanks again

Dennis G6YBC

Dennis_G6YBC

Thanks Andy

I’ve downloaded the respective file, now to look at the build.

Regards

Dennis G6YBC

Steve G4HTZ

I have ..amazingly found the filters and sent Dennis a picture to check it’s what he needs
if not someone else may want them

--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60
Great Wakering, Essex
24ghz 1.8w 80cm dish

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

David Redman

Steve
I would be interested if Dennis doesn't want them

Dave
G4IDR

I have ..amazingly found the filters and sent Dennis a picture to check it’s what he needs
if not someone else may want them

--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60
Great Wakering, Essex
24ghz 1.8w 80cm dish

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

Steve G4HTZ

Dennis wants the filters so they are now spoken for