First two way contact on 30THz in UK

Barry Chambers

Today, 21 April 2021, Barry G8AGN/P and Bob G4APV made what is believed to be the first two-way contact in the UK on 30THz. Reports of 599 both ways were made using QRSS3. The DX was 42m.

QRSS3 signals were also received one-way at a distance of  50m but copy was not 100% due to erratic wind cooling of the hot plate source, even though this was running at 300 watts DC input.

Further details including video to follow.

Barry, G8AGN

Julian G1EKW

Unless my physics and elementary arithmetic have somehow combined to thwart my interpretation, that puts it right in the centre of the so-called "Molecular Fingerprint" area of the mid-IR spectrum.

Barry Chambers

Julian

my receive sensors work in the 5.5 to 14um range. The human body is a good IR source at about 10um.

Barry, G8AGN

On 22/04/2021 16:28, Julian G1EKW wrote:

Unless my physics and elementary arithmetic have somehow combined to thwart my interpretation, that puts it right in the centre of the so-called "Molecular Fingerprint" area of the mid-IR spectrum.

Barry, G8AGN

Julian G1EKW

Hi Barry,

Thanks for that confirmation, pretty much what I thought.

I look forward to further details of this contact. Thanks for the heads-up.

Julian.