Farnell Handling Charge was zero

Dave Cawley G4IUG

Just placed a £5 order with Farnell, as soon as I logged in the postage disappeared to zero.

73  Dave  G4IUG

Andy G4JNT

YES....
Weird.    I just tested by placing a small order in my basket, £7.95 and you're correct, the handling charge is now zero.
I was told the charge had been introduced "yesterday".  Wonder if they got so many complaints and cancellations, that's one experiment in marketing shown to be a total failure
Got as far as "submit order",  still no handling charge showing so I did.
Might as well have a few PIC16F1847 devices on the shelf - it's one of the latest 'preferred' types in the mid-range family.

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 16:01, Dave Cawley G4IUG <help@...> wrote:

Just placed a £5 order with Farnell, as soon as I logged in the postage disappeared to zero.

73  Dave  G4IUG

Colin G4EML

According to their website there is no handling fee for trade accounts if the order is placed online. The £2 charge is for orders less than £40 placed by phone.

Non trade accounts are online only and free for greater than £40, £5.95 for £20-£40 and £9.95 for less than £20.

Colin.

Weird.    I just tested by placing a small order in my basket, £7.95 and you're correct, the handling charge is now zero.

I was told the charge had been introduced "yesterday".  Wonder if they got so many complaints and cancellations, that's one experiment in marketing shown to be a total failure

Got as far as "submit order",  still no handling charge showing so I did.

Might as well have a few PIC16F1847 devices on the shelf - it's one of the latest 'preferred' types in the mid-range family.

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 16:01, Dave Cawley G4IUG <help@...> wrote:

Just placed a £5 order with Farnell, as soon as I logged in the postage disappeared to zero.

73  Dave  G4IUG

Andy G4JNT

Well, they made a mistake yesterday and lost my order to RS.   I always place orders on line and it was showing £2.00 - so immediately deleted basket

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 16:36, Colin G4EML <colin@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave G8KHU

I just tried a test order and the handling charge remained, I went right up to the submit page and it remained but the payment method was definitely set to trade account.

Wierd that different people have different experiences, I shall have a nag at customer service tomorrow.

Dave

Andy G4JNT

Madder and madder
Just tried again, £15 test order and it's back - all cancelled of course.

But is later in the day - wonder if that's got anything to do with it?

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 17:20, Dave G8KHU <david@...> wrote:
I just tried a test order and the handling charge remained, I went right up to the submit page and it remained but the payment method was definitely set to trade account.

Wierd that different people have different experiences, I shall have a nag at customer service tomorrow.

Dave

Colin G4EML

There is something strange going on, the Farnell website delivery information page changes depending on if I am logged in or not. The free delivery line appears and disappears from the Trade accounts. It looks like they are probably in the middle of implementing a change. Maybe some accounts have the charge and some do not. Or maybe they have multiple servers and the web pages are different.

£2 handling charge is not actually too bad though. Non account customers get charged up to £9.95.

RS is still free for account holders but I can’t see that lasting much longer. Parcelforce next day delivery on a £1.00 order doesn’t make much commercial sense however convenient it is.

Colin.

I just tried a test order and the handling charge remained, I went right up to the submit page and it remained but the payment method was definitely set to trade account.

Wierd that different people have different experiences, I shall have a nag at customer service tomorrow.

Dave

Andy G4JNT

It makes sure they keep customers and they're happy.   If you can get a product costing £1 with a few mouse clicks, then next time you want to spend £400 on components, the same few mouse clicks are only too easy to just do.

On Tue, 18 May 2021 at 17:40, Colin G4EML <colin@...> wrote:

[...]

ian hope (2E0IJH)

I've got 2 accounts my radio one and Company one, radio one has handling charge, log in with company one and no charges

very weird

Ian
M5IJH