Farnell Handling Charge

Andy G4JNT

Farnell have just, (as of today I was told) introduced a £2 handling charge on orders less than £40 for account holders.

So that's blown their credibility.

Michael Scott

Have to use the Chipbank instead!!

Mike.

On 17/05/2021 13:42, Andy G4JNT wrote:
Farnell have just, (as of today I was told) introduced a £2 handling charge on orders less than £40 for account holders.

So that's blown their credibility.

Andy G4JNT

I only wanted a handful of TS912 opamps.
Nice rail-to-rail operation on both input and output.

On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 16:31, Michael Scott via groups.io <g3lyp=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Have to use the Chipbank instead!!

Mike.

On 17/05/2021 13:42, Andy G4JNT wrote:
Farnell have just, (as of today I was told) introduced a £2 handling charge on orders less than £40 for account holders.

So that's blown their credibility.

R Hopkins

I put £21 worth of stuff in Farnell's basket the other day and the total came to over £55 with
everything they added on.
Needless to say I dumped the basket.

Roger GW4NOS

On Mon, 17 May 2021 13:42:48 +0100, you wrote:

Farnell have just, (as of today I was told) introduced a £2 handling charge
on orders less than £40 for account holders.

So that's blown their credibility.

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

Andy G4JNT

RS still do free delivery for collection at the Trade Counter.   As it's only a 20 minute walk away guess where first choice will be now.

I have a Farnell account, have had for decades, and this is the first time they've ever added on any handling charge.

On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 16:47, R Hopkins via groups.io <gw4nos=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

I put £21 worth of stuff in Farnell's basket the other day and the total came to over £55 with
everything they added on.
Needless to say I dumped the basket.

Roger   GW4NOS

On Mon, 17 May 2021 13:42:48 +0100, you wrote:

>Farnell have just, (as of today I was told) introduced a £2 handling charge
>on orders less than £40 for account holders.
>
>So that's blown their credibility.
>
>Andy
>www.g4jnt.com

R Hopkins

I placed the same order with RS and when I logged in the basket was cleared and I was told there was
a problem with my account and please contact customer services.

I've been dealing with both companies for donkey's years. What's going on?

Roger GW4NOS

On Mon, 17 May 2021 16:53:43 +0100, you wrote:

[...]

RS was OK a few hours ago

On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 16:59, R Hopkins via groups.io <gw4nos=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
I placed the same order with RS and when I logged in the basket was cleared and I was told there was
a problem with my account and please contact customer services.

I've been dealing with both companies for donkey's years. What's going on?

Roger   GW4NOS

On Mon, 17 May 2021 16:53:43 +0100, you wrote:

>RS still do free delivery for collection at the Trade Counter.   As it's
>only a 20 minute walk away guess where first choice will be now.
>
>I have a Farnell account, have had for decades, and this is the first time
>they've ever added on any handling charge.
>
>Andy
>www.g4jnt.com
>

>On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 16:47, R Hopkins via groups.io <gw4nos=
>btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
>

>> I put £21 worth of stuff in Farnell's basket the other day and the total
>> came to over £55 with
>> everything they added on.
>> Needless to say I dumped the basket.
>>
>> Roger   GW4NOS
>>

>> On Mon, 17 May 2021 13:42:48 +0100, you wrote:
>>
>> >Farnell have just, (as of today I was told) introduced a £2 handling
>> charge
>> >on orders less than £40 for account holders.
>> >
>> >So that's blown their credibility.
>> >
>> >Andy
>> >www.g4jnt.com

R Hopkins

I don't think it's them Andy.

I haven't ordered anything from them for a while and I'm not registered as a trade customer with
either of them just Joe Public. I'll phone tomorrow to see what's occurring.

Roger GW4NOS

On Mon, 17 May 2021 17:08:18 +0100, you wrote:

RS was OK a few hours ago

Andy
www.g4jnt.com

[...]

DougF VK4OE

Greetings to all readers.

Here in Australia, Farnell has the trading name of "Element 14" (that's Si, of course!) and for many years now they have had a mandatory shipping charge to be added for orders under AUD $50.00 (I think).  We have learned to live with it, but it puts Mouser and Digi-Key in better light as far as hobbyist-sized orders.

Most of that time, RS Australia has had no add-on shipping charge, but that changed only very recently - they now have such an add-on for orders less than a prescribed value, which puts both of them in the same boat.

On top of that, here in Australia we find that you have to have a really urgent need for whatever you may be ordering, or such a large order that the same large shipping charge now appears comparatively small, in order to justify the use of international courier companies.

There is no free lunch any more!

Cheers and 73,

--Doug Friend, VK4OE.

On 18/05/2021 1:53 am, Andy G4JNT wrote:
RS still do free delivery for collection at the Trade Counter.   As it's only a 20 minute walk away guess where first choice will be now.

I have a Farnell account, have had for decades, and this is the first time they've ever added on any handling charge.

On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 16:47, R Hopkins via groups.io <gw4nos=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

I put £21 worth of stuff in Farnell's basket the other day and the total came to over £55 with
everything they added on.
Needless to say I dumped the basket.

Roger   GW4NOS

On Mon, 17 May 2021 13:42:48 +0100, you wrote:

>Farnell have just, (as of today I was told) introduced a £2 handling charge
>on orders less than £40 for account holders.
>
>So that's blown their credibility.
>
>Andy
>www.g4jnt.com

Dave - G4RQI

Hello Roger

I tried replying to the message you sent me just now and it got bounced as spam... something about O365, maybe it’s in your spam folder. Bit odd seeming the first one got through... Microsoft’s canned reply was I should try ringing you up.

73 David

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I haven't ordered anything from them for a while and I'm not registered as a trade customer with
either of them just Joe Public. I'll phone tomorrow to see what's occurring.

Roger   GW4NOS

On Mon, 17 May 2021 17:08:18 +0100, you wrote:

>RS was OK a few hours ago
>
>Andy
>www.g4jnt.com
>

>On Mon, 17 May 2021 at 16:59, R Hopkins via groups.io <gw4nos=
>btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
>> I placed the same order with RS and when I logged in the basket was
>> cleared and I was told there was
>> a problem with my account and please contact customer services.
>>
>> I've been dealing with both companies for donkey's years. What's going on?
>>
>> Roger   GW4NOS
>>

>> On Mon, 17 May 2021 16:53:43 +0100, you wrote:
>>
>> >RS still do free delivery for collection at the Trade Counter.   As it's
>> >only a 20 minute walk away guess where first choice will be now.
>> >
>> >I have a Farnell account, have had for decades, and this is the first time
>> >they've ever added on any handling charge.
>> >
>> >Andy
>> >www.g4jnt.com

Mark M5BOP

You don’t happen to have a supply of MAX4450EXK+T 210MHz op amps, SC-70-5 in the chipbank do you Mike?  If so, I’ll take ten! That would save me an order to Farnell or similar (with associated low-volume order costs!) - not building a 10MHz ref DA or anything!!

Thanks,
Mark M5BOP

Farnell Handling Charge
From: Michael Scott
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 16:31:27 BST

Have to use the Chipbank instead!!

Mike.

3c.
Re: Farnell Handling Charge
From: Andy G4JNT
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 16:35:02 BST

I only wanted a handful of TS912 opamps.

Michael Scott

Sorry Mark, we have a few MAX ICs but not that one!

The whole catalogue is on the UKuG website, folow the links to the Chipbank.

73, Mike

From: Michael Scott
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 16:31:27 BST

From: Andy G4JNT
Date: Mon, 17 May 2021 16:35:02 BST
I only wanted a handful of TS912 opamps.