Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 at 9:20 PM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944@...>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] fancy callsigns

I thought I'd gone back to the days of 2LO over the weekend.

What's with these fancy callsigns?  Are peoples given callsign not good enough?

Bad enough they're re-issuing old timers calls, young voice on a G2 or early G3 call but now these.

Just can't see why. Must be getting old.

Ben G4BXD (don't even use my even older G8)

militaryoperator

Please elborate, are you talking about short contest calls such as G3M, G8T, G8P, M6T etc?

Ian
M5IJH

Oh, that's what they are. Well, I see now.

Yes, I guess Golf Three Mike  is a vast saving in time over Golf Three Mike Tango Xray.

I'm obviously not taking this hobby seriously enough, hi.

Thanks for the pointer.

7, Be, G4B

ian hope (2E0IJH)

This might explain better, https://www.rsgbcc.org/hf/information/scc.shtml

Ian
M5IJH

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 at 9:32 PM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944@...>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] fancy callsigns
Please elborate, are you talking about short contest calls such as G3M, G8T, G8P, M6T etc?

Ian
M5IJH

Oh, that's what they are. Well, I see now.

Yes, I guess Golf Three Mike  is a vast saving in time over Golf Three Mike Tango Xray.

I'm obviously not taking this hobby seriously enough, hi.

Thanks for the pointer.

7, Be, G4B

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I actually think they are counterproductive.  I have spent some time on weak contact with "3 character" stations trying to get the rest of their callsign.

On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 21:49, ian hope (2E0IJH) <ian@...> wrote:

Ian
M5IJH

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 at 9:32 PM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Please elborate, are you talking about short contest calls such as G3M, G8T, G8P, M6T etc?

Ian
M5IJH

Oh, that's what they are. Well, I see now.

Yes, I guess Golf Three Mike  is a vast saving in time over Golf Three Mike Tango Xray.

I'm obviously not taking this hobby seriously enough, hi.

Thanks for the pointer.

7, Be, G4B

ian hope (2E0IJH)

I know it's confused some M6/M7's we've taken out Contesting, But we've also often been queried about our Call sign M5IC,not many 2 letter M5's about. One of Ofcom's little funny spells when they gave them out, only should have gone to Clubs, but a few got accidentally issued to individuals, so they withdrew it completly.

Ian
M5IJH

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 at 9:32 PM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Please elborate, are you talking about short contest calls such as G3M, G8T, G8P, M6T etc?

Ian
M5IJH

Oh, that's what they are. Well, I see now.

Yes, I guess Golf Three Mike  is a vast saving in time over Golf Three Mike Tango Xray.

I'm obviously not taking this hobby seriously enough, hi.

Thanks for the pointer.

7, Be, G4B

Paul G8AQA

I agree about them being counterproductive in VHF + contests. Too much time wasted checking them. May be ok on HF cw contests.

Paul G8AQA

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 at 9:32 PM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Please elborate, are you talking about short contest calls such as G3M, G8T, G8P, M6T etc?

Ian
M5IJH

Oh, that's what they are. Well, I see now.

Yes, I guess Golf Three Mike  is a vast saving in time over Golf Three Mike Tango Xray.

I'm obviously not taking this hobby seriously enough, hi.

Thanks for the pointer.

7, Be, G4B

Ian White

As a matter of principle, I think "counterproductive" should be a matter for individual contestants to find out. They should be free to make their own decisions, good or bad, and then either reap the rewards or suffer the consequences. That is surely one of the salient features of contests.

(And by the way, no-one is actually *compelled* to waste time checking other people's short calls, except for our own curiosity.)

For my own part, on HF I noticed a huge difference on changing from G3SEK to GM3SEK. Many operators around the world who could easily grab a 5-character call were asking for a repeat when it changed to 6. Elsewhere in the world, I'm sure there is also a sense that the only people with long callsigns are those who haven't bothered to upgrade to the shorter callsigns that are readily available in almost every other country, for everyday use.

Therefore I'm very happy to GM3S available, at least for such purposes as are currently allowed. On VHF/UHF most people immediately say "Hello Ian", which suggests that a shorter version of one's existing callsign can work well.

73 from Ian GM3SEK

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 at 9:32 PM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Please elborate, are you talking about short contest calls such as G3M, G8T, G8P, M6T etc?

Ian
M5IJH

Oh, that's what they are. Well, I see now.

Yes, I guess Golf Three Mike  is a vast saving in time over Golf Three Mike Tango Xray.

I'm obviously not taking this hobby seriously enough, hi.

Thanks for the pointer.

7, Be, G4B

steve G1PPA

I agree Ian
When I use my scc most uk stations know its me
On vhf/UHF  I have EU stations saying oh short call nice and easy, in the 4 years I have had scc
Probably had 5 or 6 ask for repeat, during busy contest I don't waste time looking people up
I just log what I hear, scc works for me
Steve
G1PPA
G1B

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 at 9:32 PM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Please elborate, are you talking about short contest calls such as G3M, G8T, G8P, M6T etc?

Ian
M5IJH

Oh, that's what they are. Well, I see now.

Yes, I guess Golf Three Mike  is a vast saving in time over Golf Three Mike Tango Xray.

I'm obviously not taking this hobby seriously enough, hi.

Thanks for the pointer.

7, Be, G4B

Andy

I have to agree with Ian.  You should try having to live with an MM0 prefix and use Morse and then you'll know why getting shorter calls is a benefit. Also, any kind of different format call sign causes the weaker operators to make logging errors as the call doesn't fit their preconceptions which gives them UBNs.

Assuming that a UK callsign will always be 5 or possibly 6 characters long is just poor operating. Plenty of other countries have variable length calls and it doesn't cause problems. If you want to see how poor some UK operators are, use a short call and a club prefix and watch them struggle. The number of times my short club call sign, MS0TA, is logged as M0STA because the operator cannot cope with different prefixes or call lengths used to surprise me. Not any more, their problem not mine.

Andy

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 at 9:32 PM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Please elborate, are you talking about short contest calls such as G3M, G8T, G8P, M6T etc?

Ian
M5IJH

Oh, that's what they are. Well, I see now.

Yes, I guess Golf Three Mike  is a vast saving in time over Golf Three Mike Tango Xray.

I'm obviously not taking this hobby seriously enough, hi.

Thanks for the pointer.

7, Be, G4B

" Not any more, their problem not mine."

Except in a contest, when the loss of points is your problem, assuming you were doing it for the points and not just the fun.

And same as Ian, in a busy contest I just log what I hear, I still use a paper log, not quite worked up to using Minos yet,  but as mentioned, on a weak contact, when 95% of the "Gx" calls are longer, I personally find them counterproductive as I usually ask for a repeat, but as mentioned, that is up to the calling station to decide if they think it is working for them. Personally, I would not use one.

Optimising your call maximum correct copy is an important part of the game for me, unless of course part of the reason for doing the contest is to get back your list of UBN's and laugh at the number of "poor operators" who have copied it incorrectly, but that's not my aim.  "unexpected" calls are no problem on strong copy, it's only in weak/QRM conditions when it becomes an issue.  I noticed I was often getting logged as G4YFG instead of G1 .. people were confusing the "F" of "Golf" with the "F" of "four" ... simply including a "Germany one" in the CQ call solved that one.

Personally, my current assessment is that I would not use one, but if it is working for you, you go right ahead, each to their own.  I've only logged one in the last handful of UKAC contests anyway.

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 at 9:32 PM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Please elborate, are you talking about short contest calls such as G3M, G8T, G8P, M6T etc?

Ian
M5IJH

Oh, that's what they are. Well, I see now.

Yes, I guess Golf Three Mike  is a vast saving in time over Golf Three Mike Tango Xray.

I'm obviously not taking this hobby seriously enough, hi.

Thanks for the pointer.

7, Be, G4B

steve G1PPA

Robin SCC not allowed in ukac so not sure how you worked one
Steve
G1PPA

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2020 at 9:32 PM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944=aol.com@groups.io>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Please elborate, are you talking about short contest calls such as G3M, G8T, G8P, M6T etc?

Ian
M5IJH

Oh, that's what they are. Well, I see now.

Yes, I guess Golf Three Mike  is a vast saving in time over Golf Three Mike Tango Xray.

I'm obviously not taking this hobby seriously enough, hi.

Thanks for the pointer.

7, Be, G4B

Short calls really matter when you are doing a long high-rate HF contest in run mode, but only when you can maintain a run rate high enough to sustain a near-continuous stream of callers.  If you are working 300+ stations per hour like the top single-operator contesters (some get over 400 - that is 9 seconds for each completed contact), the extra 1.2 seconds to send my full call phonetically on phone as compared with a phonetically-fast short UK call means I could work an additional 30 stations in that hour, assuming the supply is high enough.  Assumes I send my call once for every contact, which some don't.  Even if the runs are short, there is an advantage over a long call.  The same applies to the time spent transmitting when you are in search-and-pounce mode.  Similar thing applies in CW, also using cut digits and sending "dit dahdit dahdit" at 50wpm for "599" saves enough time to make it worth the risk of confusion. Allowing short calls for UK stations levels the field a bit when you are competing internationally.

Running two radios concurrently in an HF contest with a short call, big antennas and QRO is an entirely different game than trying to drag some information out of EME-level fleeting aircraft reflections, where the contact might take 20 minutes to complete, although the number of times I've heard an A/S report coming back as "golf four delta bravo november five one zero...." then fade to noise, is definitely non-zero.  Short calls might have been a help there.

I used to enjoy HF contesting, but with synthesized voice and all the technology, it is just turning into video gaming.

I logged the last couple of contacts in the last UKAC on paper because of a PC glitch, and ended up with a UBN because I missed a /P when I transcribed the contacts.

I thought short calls couldn't be used in UKACs? Perhaps they can be used but not make an entry? There is a list of calls issued and the contests where they can be used at https://www.rsgbcc.org/hf/information/scc.shtml

Neil G4DBN

(I have never played a video game, nor have I ever seen Star Wars)