From: f5bqp_Pierre-François MONET <pfmonet@...>
Subject: [hyperfr@...] Mise à jour de la Groupire CI Trvt 3cmBVA_batch7
Date: 27 January 2021 at 20:52:24 GMT
Bonjour,

La Groupire batch7 du CI du transverter 10GHz avance tout doucement puisque 18 exemplaires sont maintenant inscrits.
Le descriptif est ici:
https://f6bva.pagesperso-orange.fr/Technique/trans%20uhf%20vers3cm/dossier%20print%20Ag%20complet.pdf

La mise à jour des réservations est:

geoffrey pike

Hi Neil.
I will take 2 pcbs
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP

On Thursday, 28 January 2021, 08:35:51 GMT, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

If anyone in the UK is considering building an F6BVA 3cm to UHF transverter, there is a group purchase under way for the PCBs. To save on carrier fees, I am happy to receive boards for other UK purchasers and post them onwards.

I have ordered three for myself. Price for the last batch worked out at 23€ plus postage, that was for 30 boards. There will be VAT, local postage, a share of the carrier fee and processing, and potentially UK duty to be paid (the silver plated PCBs are from a Chinese fab) so the final UK price might be over £30 each.

Read the updated tech info in the link below, and the earlier versions it links to. If you are not able to read technical French and rely on Google Translate, remember CI = PCB, OL = LO, CMS = SMD.

Neil G4DBN

From: f5bqp_Pierre-François MONET <pfmonet@...>
Date: 27 January 2021 at 20:52:24 GMT
Bonjour,

La Groupire batch7 du CI du transverter 10GHz avance tout doucement puisque 18 exemplaires sont maintenant inscrits.
Le descriptif est ici:
https://f6bva.pagesperso-orange.fr/Technique/trans%20uhf%20vers3cm/dossier%20print%20Ag%20complet.pdf

La mise à jour des réservations est:

Dave

Hello Neil,
Please put me down for one of them.
Thank you very much.
David G4GLT.

From: f5bqp_Pierre-François MONET <pfmonet@...>
Date: 27 January 2021 at 20:52:24 GMT
Bonjour,

La Groupire batch7 du CI du transverter 10GHz avance tout doucement puisque 18 exemplaires sont maintenant inscrits.
Le descriptif est ici:
https://f6bva.pagesperso-orange.fr/Technique/trans%20uhf%20vers3cm/dossier%20print%20Ag%20complet.pdf

La mise à jour des réservations est:
<flmkjmeodcnmbnnm.png>
<flmkjmeodcnmbnnm.png>

Paul Entwistle

Good morning Neil

                                                            Thanks for the info re: F6BVA boards – Please put me down for ONE board

73 de Paul G8AFC

From: f5bqp_Pierre-François MONET <pfmonet@...>

Date: 27 January 2021 at 20:52:24 GMT

Bonjour,

La Groupire batch7 du CI du transverter 10GHz avance tout doucement puisque 18 exemplaires sont maintenant inscrits.
Le descriptif est ici:
https://f6bva.pagesperso-orange.fr/Technique/trans%20uhf%20vers3cm/dossier%20print%20Ag%20complet.pdf

La mise à jour des réservations est:

malcolm johnson

Hi Neil,

could you put me down for two PCBs please?

73

Malcolm G0UHY

From: f5bqp_Pierre-François MONET <pfmonet@...>
Date: 27 January 2021 at 20:52:24 GMT
Bonjour,

La Groupire batch7 du CI du transverter 10GHz avance tout doucement puisque 18 exemplaires sont maintenant inscrits.
Le descriptif est ici:
https://f6bva.pagesperso-orange.fr/Technique/trans%20uhf%20vers3cm/dossier%20print%20Ag%20complet.pdf

La mise à jour des réservations est:

Conrad, PA5Y

Hello Neil I already have a PCB and an LO source for this project, but I do not have any of the components. Has anyone got a BOM with component sources? Also has anyone done any measurements?

Regards

Conrad PA5Y

From: f5bqp_Pierre-François MONET <pfmonet@...>
Date: 27 January 2021 at 20:52:24 GMT
Bonjour,

La Groupire batch7 du CI du transverter 10GHz avance tout doucement puisque 18 exemplaires sont maintenant inscrits.
Le descriptif est ici:
https://f6bva.pagesperso-orange.fr/Technique/trans%20uhf%20vers3cm/dossier%20print%20Ag%20complet.pdf

La mise à jour des réservations est:

G4LDR

Hello Neil,

I last built a transverter for 10GHz back in the 1990s; based on the design of Charlie, G3WDG. It would be fun to build one again.

Please put me down for one pcb.

Thanks

Neil G4LDR

Daniel DL3IAE

Hello,

I have built 3 of them.
The HMC220 is obsolete but can be found on ebay. Watch out for fakes.
One of the mixers I had would work much better as an upconverter than as a downconverter.
NE32584s can be used as well (Franco SU-02 board).
Expect an NF of around 1.3 dB and some 16 dB of gain.

Good info (in French) can be found in this document bei F5DQK.

Good luck

Daniel
DL3IAE

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 13:22, Daniel DL3IAE <dko1@...> wrote:
Hello,

I have built 3 of them.
The HMC220 is obsolete but can be found on ebay. Watch out for fakes.
One of the mixers I had would work much better as an upconverter than as a downconverter.
NE32584s can be used as well (Franco SU-02 board).
Expect an NF of around 1.3 dB and some 16 dB of gain.

Good info (in French) can be found in this document bei F5DQK.

Good luck

Daniel
DL3IAE

Conrad, PA5Y

This is very useful Daniel.

Although it puts me off a bit!

The ESD notes at the bottom are so true. I have an antistatic set up with a wrist band for soldering but have a devil of a time in winter in my shack with static, not so much at the soldering station but my test gear at the other side of the room. I have seen a few 1cm long sparks but only in winter and only from the test rack and me.

At work we have semi-conducting floors, conductive chairs etc. This is impractical for home, but I must do something about the floor and my footwear in the shack.

What do others do?

Why is my rack of test gear such a good grounding point for static? Is there a safe way to add a discharge path to this kit rather than through me? As I say it is not so much for circuit assembly but the test gear. Perhaps I need a humidifier?

73

Conrad PA5Y

The HMC220 is obsolete but can be found on ebay. Watch out for fakes.
One of the mixers I had would work much better as an upconverter than as a downconverter.
NE32584s can be used as well (Franco SU-02 board).
Expect an NF of around 1.3 dB and some 16 dB of gain.

Good info (in French) can be found in this document bei F5DQK.

Good luck

Daniel
DL3IAE

KENT BRITAIN

I use some of the anti-static sprays that are made for laundry.

I spray some on the chair and on the carpet around the work bench.
(And mat, wrist strap, earthed soldering iron)  Kent WA5VJB

On Thursday, January 28, 2021, 07:56:33 AM CST, Conrad, PA5Y <g0ruz@...> wrote:

[...]

Antistatic mats cover the workbenches, wrist bands when needed, metal framed stools without plastic feet, earth for the soldering iron to the mat

... and I live in England. Living in England is one of the best ways to solve static problems.  It is so damp, static does not have a chance ;)

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021 at 14:00, KENT BRITAIN <WA5VJB@...> wrote:
[...]

g3zqu

Please put my new down forgone pcb please.
Martin g3zqu

Conrad, PA5Y

I have antistatic mats, wristbands and an office chair with plastic wheels and I am often wearing slippers in the shack. So, a metal legged stool and something else on my feet might be effective!. My soldering irons are all bonded to the mat.

It's just as damp here Robin but still in winter I have problems. The Netherlands has a lot of water, this is probably not news to most 🙂

The humidty in the bedroom and living room is around 42% now.  I don't know about the shack; I will check it.  I must measure the noise figure of a transverter tonight, so I had better discharge the rack before I start. It is not very convenient.

73

Conrad PA5Y

The HMC220 is obsolete but can be found on ebay. Watch out for fakes.
One of the mixers I had would work much better as an upconverter than as a downconverter.
NE32584s can be used as well (Franco SU-02 board).
Expect an NF of around 1.3 dB and some 16 dB of gain.

Good info (in French) can be found in this document bei F5DQK.

Good luck

Daniel
DL3IAE

I intend using the £9 HMC220BMS8GETR from Digikey, and probably the £1 CE3512K2 in place of the NE32584C.  There is a tiny saving to be made from buying 10 or more of each part, but as Digikey and Mouser both collect VAT at source, there isn't much point in doing a group purchase if you can put together an order more than the free postage limit.  Might be useful to share the BOM for the order so others can easily copy it. If you aren't going to be ordering enough additional bits to go over the free-delivery level, I'm happy to order multiple sets of components and ship them with the boards.

This is not a painting-by-numbers kit like Kuhne used to do, you need to be highly aware of the issues in the article that Daniel points to, and the various notes and articles pointed at in the hyperfr and hyperfr-ref email lists.  I'm buying some for a bit of fun and so I can make up a standby setup and maybe use one for EME and another for portable.  Actually I think three isn't enough, might have to increase that so I have some loan kits for the locals...

Not sure when the group purchase closes, but please let me know by private email to neil@... if you want to participate in the purchase of the PCBs and/or a group buy of full component sets or just the mixer and FETs.

Remember that you will need a local oscillator that produces the correct level, and a way to confirm the level is correct

So far, I have requests as follows:

GI0GDP
2 x PCB

G4GLT
1 x PCB

G8AFC
1 x PCB

G0UHY
2 x PCB

G1YFG
1 x PCB

G4LDR
1 x PCB

G4DBN
5 x PCB
5 x full component sets
G3ZQU
1 x PCB

At this stage, the only commitment is for the cost of the PCB and your share of the carriage and VAT/fees, and then only if the group purchase has enough orders to go ahead.

Neil G4DBN

On 28/01/2021 13:22, Daniel DL3IAE wrote:
Hello,

I have built 3 of them.
The HMC220 is obsolete but can be found on ebay. Watch out for fakes.
One of the mixers I had would work much better as an upconverter than as a downconverter.
NE32584s can be used as well (Franco SU-02 board).
Expect an NF of around 1.3 dB and some 16 dB of gain.

Good info (in French) can be found in this document bei F5DQK.

Good luck

Daniel
DL3IAE

_

Neil Smith G4DBN

Sorry for the short notice, but Pierre-François is likely to close this group buy tomorrow, so if you would like to order some PCBs, please say so quickly!

Don't worry about the components part of the order, plenty of time to sort that out, just let me know if you want a PCB. The price will probably fall a little as the volume increases, but the likely price is somewhere around £30 if we get stung for VAT and carrier ransom fee and duty. If Royal Mail are still operating by the time the boards arrive, I'll post them out first class large unless you are in one of the areas where they have given up trying, but again, we can sort that later on.

Details are at https://f6bva.pagesperso-orange.fr/Technique/trans%20uhf%20vers3cm/dossier%20print%20Ag%20complet.pdf

Once the boards arrive, I'll contact you for delivery info and let you know the final cost. Paypal or bank transfer or cheque are fine

Remember you need to provide a suitable local osc.  Read the info and the link that Daniel posted earlier. As mentioned, if you are not up to speed in French tech abbreviations, CI = PCB, CMS = SMD, OL = LO

This is the order so far. If I've missed you off or got the number wrong, or you need to change/cancel, please let me know before tomorrow night

Neil G4DBN

GI0GDP 2 x PCB
G4GLT 1 x PCB
G8AFC 1 x PCB
G0UHY 2 x PCB
G1YFG 1 x PCB
G4LDR 1 x PCB
G4DBN 5 x PCB 5 x full sets
G3ZQU 1 x PCB
G8JVM 1 x PCB
G3LYP 1 x PCB 1 x FETs and Mixer
G4KNZ 1 x PCB 1 x full set

Julian, G3YGF

Can you put me down for a board please.

Julian, G3YGF

[...]

Andy

Go on Neil, I'll have one please. I am not spending any money on going to work work so the price is less than I'd spend on diesel a week.

In fact, I last got cash out of the bank on March 5th 2020, everything has been card payment!

Andy

On 28/01/2021 21:47, Neil Smith G4DBN wrote:
[...]

Clive, G3GJA

Please put me down for two boards.

Clive G3GJA

[...]

HESH Typographic Logo

HESH Computer Services

hesh.co.uk
01482 324936

8 Louis Pearlman Centre, Goulton Street, Hull, HU3 4DL

Registered in England No. 3003479. The information contained in this email may be legally privileged and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, use of this information (including disclosure, copying or distribution) or any action taken, or omitted to be taken, in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful; therefore please inform the sender and delete the message immediately. The views expressed in this email are those of the originator and not necessarily those held by HESH Computer Services Ltd, who do not accept liability for any action taken in reliance on the contents of this message or for the consequences of any computer viruses which may have been transmitted by this email.

[...]

Neil Douglas

Neil,

Please can you include me in your order for 1 x PCB + 1 x FET’s and Mixer

Thanks

NeilD

G4SHJ