Ebay seem to be making things difficult

Paul G8KFW

Hi all

Ebay seem to be making things difficult

A Belgian  seller tells me he has to pay 21% Belgian VAT on any think he sells

But then apparently Ebay will charge me 21 % VAT on top  making the VAT 42 %

Is Ebay running a scam after all this is for second hand items

Paul G8KFW

--
Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 20:45, Paul G8KFW <paul@...> wrote:

Hi all

Ebay seem to be making things difficult

A Belgian  seller tells me he has to pay 21% Belgian VAT on any think he sells

But then apparently Ebay will charge me 21 % VAT on top  making the VAT 42 %

Is Ebay running a scam after all this is for second hand items

Paul G8KFW

I can't see any logical explanation that an EU country would charge their own VAT rate (21%) on exports outside the EU. I think the seller is wrong. Had the seller said he needed to register for VAT in England, then I do believe that to be so, but he would not charge 21% VAT.

Paul Bicknell G8KFW   South Coast UK

Dave, G8WRB

Paul Evans W4/VP9KF

Actually, that's 46.4% added to the original price! [1.21 * 1.21] Phew!

--
73, Paul Evans G4BKI [VP9KF]

Alan Melia

No unless Belgium has different laws to the rest of the EU, exports should be VAT free. The VAT is paid on incomming goods. I believe this may change in a couple of months time for the EU. Ebay should be charging 20% i.e British VAT, which it forwards to HMRC. Ebay collects VAT on all UK bound goods that pass through its platform. It is registered with HMRC. I dont know how incoming goods is marked by the seller to indcate that because I have avoided Ebay until it all gets sorted out.

Alan
G3NYK