Ebay ADF4351 PCBs

G8ZHA

I was just looking on ebay, to purchase a ADF4351 PCB.  I note that the majority of available PCBs are darl coloured, with a 2 * 5 way header connector. A while ago most of the PCBs were green with a single in line header.

Are the newer PCBs any better than the older green PCBs?

And why are the ADF5355 PCBs so expensive now?

Rich

Andy G4JNT

Darl ?   I call them black :-)

I'd only ever go for the SV1AFN boards,   (Red)

The ADF5355 is a more advanced chip, higher initial cost.

On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 at 23:28, G8ZHA via groups.io <g8zha-1=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I was just looking on ebay, to purchase a ADF4351 PCB.  I note that the majority of available PCBs are darl coloured, with a 2 * 5 way header connector. A while ago most of the PCBs were green with a single in line header.

Are the newer PCBs any better than the older green PCBs?

And why are the ADF5355 PCBs so expensive now?

Rich

Michael Scott

Rich, A while back some of the boards on e-bay had 5v regulators in place of the correct 3.3v type. I bought a couple of the black boards recently and they had the correct regulators. The black boards have been available for a year or so, but I don't know if there is any difference over the green ones. I agree with Andy, the SV1AFN boards are the best, but are more expensive. He does do a control board to go with them which allows two different frequencies.

73, Mike, G3LYP.

On 09/07/2021 23:28, G8ZHA via groups.io wrote:

I was just looking on ebay, to purchase a ADF4351 PCB.  I note that the majority of available PCBs are darl coloured, with a 2 * 5 way header connector. A while ago most of the PCBs were green with a single in line header.

Are the newer PCBs any better than the older green PCBs?

And why are the ADF5355 PCBs so expensive now?

Rich

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Hi Mike,

In what way are the SV1AFN boards better?  Phase noise? Output level?

On Sat, 10 Jul 2021 at 09:53, Michael Scott via groups.io <g3lyp=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I can't measure the phase noise, but certainly on my QO-100 uplink the spurii were less in number and lower amplitude. I am sure Andy can give you more information.

Mike.

On 10/07/2021 09:58, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG wrote:
[...]

vk5bi@...

I have converted all my transverters to use the SV1AFN board in conjunction with the simple pic controller as described in CQ-TV 253 of 2016.

Wayne VK5BI

geoffrey pike

To maximise the output of these boards only requires the output inductors to be changed for the particular band in use and
if you really need broadband operation then leave the 50 R resistors in place that are fitted to the black pcbs
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP

On Saturday, 10 July 2021, 09:58:53 BST, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:

[...]

Dave G8GKQ

Rich

I have used about 20 of the Black (2*5 header) eBay ADF4351 boards in various projects from 70 MHz to 4.2 GHz.  Like Mike, I had a few with the wrong regulator fitted (easily changed), but apart from that they have all worked as expected.

The performance may not be as good as the SV1AFN boards, but is adequate for most applications.  Adding more decoupling to the 3v3 rail (a ceramic smd 47 uF works well) or swapping out the regulator for a lower noise one can reduce the phase noise.  Playing with the output circuitry (changing the components or adding snowflakes) can increase the output level.

However, most gains are to be made by programming the registers with care (you can either optimise for low phase noise, or minimum spurs or a compromise), and choosing the optimum reference source.

I have helped over 100 builders of the original Portsdown DATV transmitter (which used the ADF4351 board as the TX frequency oscillator for QPSK modulation), and not noticed any difference between the green and the black boards.  I have standardised on Black ones in my shack so that they all have the same connector.

I haven’t spent the extra money on the SV1AFN boards because I have yet to find an application that justifies the extra expense.

Hope that helps

Dave, G8GKQ

I was just looking on ebay, to purchase a ADF4351 PCB.  I note that the majority of available PCBs are darl coloured, with a 2 * 5 way header connector. A while ago most of the PCBs were green with a single in line header.

Are the newer PCBs any better than the older green PCBs?

And why are the ADF5355 PCBs so expensive now?

Rich

G8ZHA

Thanks for the info, I will go ahead and purchase a black PCB – they are also the cheapest.