Drive level

Colin Ranson

Morning all,

Thanks for all your suggestions reference 432MHz drive level into my 13/9cm SG-Lab transverters using the available low power from my home brew 28MHz transverter.

I did find a 10mW – 3w amplifier in my ‘RF modules’ box but I have now decided to go very simplistic and take up John Lemay’s (G4ZTR) idea of a simple resistor addition to the attenuator chain.     Many thanks for that idea John.

This means I can knock back the 250mW I presently have and also add a TOKO filter for better spectral purity.

Regards to all de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gordon REASON <gordonj.reason@...>

yes , keep it simple , and let us know how you get on   !

On 06 April 2021 at 12:56 Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Morning all,

Thanks for all your suggestions reference 432MHz drive level into my 13/9cm SG-Lab transverters using the available low power from my home brew 28MHz transverter.

I did find a 10mW – 3w amplifier in my ‘RF modules’ box but I have now decided to go very simplistic and take up John Lemay’s (G4ZTR) idea of a simple resistor addition to the attenuator chain.     Many thanks for that idea John.

This means I can knock back the 250mW I presently have and also add a TOKO filter for better spectral purity.

Regards to all de G8LBS.

Neil Smith G4DBN

...and if it works out nicely, can you take a pic and write a short note so the info can be added to the UKuG wiki on microwavers.org.

Neil G4DBN

On 6 Apr 2021 13:22, "Gordon REASON via groups.io" <gordonj.reason@...> wrote:

Morning all,

Regards to all de G8LBS.

Colin Ranson

Will do !

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent: 06 April 2021 13:39
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Drive level

...and if it works out nicely, can you take a pic and write a short note so the info can be added to the UKuG wiki on microwavers.org.

Neil G4DBN

On 6 Apr 2021 13:22, "Gordon REASON via groups.io" <gordonj.reason@...> wrote:

Morning all,

Regards to all de G8LBS.

militaryoperator

idea of a simple resistor addition to the attenuator chain.     Many thanks for that idea John.

Regards to all de G8LBS.

Will not add a R mean you need more drive power. I thought you didn't have enough in the first place hence amp Colin?
I find I can't turn my 817 down low enough, bottoms out at about 250mw but seems ok on the 23, 13 and 9 SGL I use. 

Ben 
G4BXD

Neil Smith G4DBN

The usual trick, as John mentioned, is to solder a lower-value resistor on top of the existing one that is in series with the variable pot.  Typically in a Kuhne or F6BVA there is a 56 or 68 ohm dummy load resistor across the IF transmit input, then a 470 ohm fixed resistor and a 100 ohm pot.  The wiper of the pot goes to the transmit port of the mixer.

Soldering a 100 ohm resistor on top of the 470 means you can get full output at about 20 mW input instead of 250-500 mW wiht the pot at max gain.

This is the 100 ohm 0805 on top of the 470R

Neil G4DBN

On 06/04/2021 16:17, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:
idea of a simple resistor addition to the attenuator chain.     Many thanks for that idea John.

Regards to all de G8LBS.

Will not add a R mean you need more drive power. I thought you didn't have enough in the first place hence amp Colin?
I find I can't turn my 817 down low enough, bottoms out at about 250mw but seems ok on the 23, 13 and 9 SGL I use. 

Ben 
G4BXD
_.

SAM JEWELL

Works well with the 50mW from the Iceni 70cm transverter....

73 de Sam, G4DDK

On 6 Apr 2021, at 16:44, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

The usual trick, as John mentioned, is to solder a lower-value resistor on top of the existing one that is in series with the variable pot.  Typically in a Kuhne or F6BVA there is a 56 or 68 ohm dummy load resistor across the IF transmit input, then a 470 ohm fixed resistor and a 100 ohm pot.  The wiper of the pot goes to the transmit port of the mixer.

Soldering a 100 ohm resistor on top of the 470 means you can get full output at about 20 mW input instead of 250-500 mW wiht the pot at max gain.

<ejljehaocjblomle.png>

This is the 100 ohm 0805 on top of the 470R

<dimhnalbkmcmjneb.png>

Neil G4DBN

On 06/04/2021 16:17, militaryoperator via groups.io wrote:

Regards to all de G8LBS.

Ben 
G4BXD
_.

ian hope (2E0IJH)

Depends where you put the resistor in the chain, whether you make the inbuilt attenator greater or smaller.

Ian
M5IJH

Sent: Tuesday, April 06, 2021 at 4:17 PM
From: "militaryoperator via groups.io" <Military1944@...>
To: "UKMicrowaves@groups.io" <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Drive level

Regards to all de G8LBS.

Ben 
G4BXD

militaryoperator

Depends where you put the resistor in the chain, whether you make the inbuilt attenator greater or smaller.

Yes, guess its a matter of adding a resistor or actually, as in this case, reducing a resistor. 
All in the way its phrased obviously. English, a great language. 

BN