Does anyone recognize this?

Greg - ZL3IX

Hi all,

I've retyped the message but the system still won't let me attach any photos, even small ones of 100k each.

Having heard that one can repurpose satellite dish assemblies for use on 10 GHz, I have removed the one on our roof. In 10 years of living in the house it has never been used. Photos attached. Does anyone recognise it?

The dish is 650 mm high by 600 mm wide. I intend to try and replace the feed with a single linearly polarised horn feed for 10.368 GHz.

I would particularly like to modify the LNB and reuse the LNA, but so far I have not managed to prise the two halves apart. Does anyone know how to do that? I would prefer not to damage the housing as I would like to reuse it. The label has faded away into illegibility after 10 years in the sun. There are 4x F-connectors of which 2 were in use and the other 2 were stopped off with rubber caps.

73, Greg, ZL3IX

Andy G4JNT

Now try

On Tue, 22 Jun 2021 at 03:41, Greg - ZL3IX <zl3ix@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Andy. Photos now attached.

After consulting the excellent online book by W1GHZ and trying the software, I now have a handle on how to deal with the dish. The LNB is a different matter, though. I would still like to understand if it's possible to modify this one for use on 10 GHz.

73, Greg, ZL3IX

Mike Willis

Hard to tell if it is a Ku band or a Ka band LNB. How large are the pipes? It's probably a DRO and looks like a dual satellite unit.
--
Mike G0MJW

Greg - ZL3IX

I've managed to open up the LNB. It looks like it has 4 channels, from two feeds x two polarisations per feed. The gain chain for each seems to have two devices, shown in the attached pics, taken using my microscope. Does anyone recognise the C325 device? I think it may be California Eastern, but it's not a current device and their web site doesn't have a search feature. Their current range seems to start with C352. Anyone have an old data sheet?

73, Greg, ZL3IX

G8FXB

The "C" is probably a NE3512S02 which was replaced by the CEL CE3512K2 which would be labelled "C5" It's a 12GHz part.

The"AL" might be something that's been replaced by a CE3514M4-C2 or similar

The LNB looks like a Ku Monoblock dual LNB for 2 satellites, spaced a few degrees apart

Greg - ZL3IX

Many thanks OM, just what I needed.