From: geoffrey pike via groups.io <gi0gdp@...>
To: UK Microwaves groups.io <ukmicrowaves@groups.io>
Sent: Mon, 26 Apr 2021 14:23
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] Coupler

I decided to check the coupling on this directional coupler to see if it was +- 20dB, well i got awful answers of -60 and
well i checked another and it was good so the setup was OK, anyway i took it apart and i think i have grounds for a replacement that actual has something inside it!

Inline image
It did give me a laugh though
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP

Bob Lockley VK6KW

Yes,

I see the problem: the lid is upside down!

Good luck & 73,

Bob.

I decided to check the coupling on this directional coupler to see if it was +- 20dB, well i got awful answers of -60 and

well i checked another and it was good so the setup was OK, anyway i took it apart and i think i have grounds for a replacement that actual has something inside it!

Inline image
It did give me a laugh though

cheers

Geoff

GI0GDP

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Lol, yes, not ideal is it :)

This is the trouble with Chinese stuff, they have obviously spent good money having a proper diecasting done, it has the right impedance steps cast in to keep everything right ... but clearly the actual quality control is zero. It can never have been tested at all.  At least with an ol Narda or similar, you can trust it absolutely, which is what is needed in test gear.

On Mon, 26 Apr 2021 at 14:47, Bob Lockley VK6KW <rlockley@...> wrote:

Yes,

I see the problem: the lid is upside down!

Good luck & 73,

Bob.

I decided to check the coupling on this directional coupler to see if it was +- 20dB, well i got awful answers of -60 and

well i checked another and it was good so the setup was OK, anyway i took it apart and i think i have grounds for a replacement that actual has something inside it!

Inline image
It did give me a laugh though

cheers

Geoff

GI0GDP

Paul Evans W4/VP9KF

Ah, but you've now broken the warranty terms by opening it to find the "no user serviceable parts" inside.
It's filled with 'magic' Chinese air!! Then you let it out.
--
73, Paul Evans G4BKI [VP9KF]

Gordon REASON <gordonj.reason@...>

I would like toask , who was the seller ????

On 26 April 2021 at 15:11 Paul Evans W4/VP9KF <paul@hintlink.com> wrote:

Ah, but you've now broken the warranty terms by opening it to find the "no user serviceable parts" inside.
It's filled with 'magic' Chinese air!! Then you let it out.
--
73, Paul Evans G4BKI [VP9KF]

geoffrey pike

Well let me take it up with Ebay and the seller then i can make a comment.
But out of interest my -20 and -40 dB couplers where within 0.5 dB of their stated coupling
cheers
Geoff
GI0GDP