Condx


John Fell
 

Yup,
Flatter than the proverbial .
Soggy signal from KBQ (loud) but no DX at all .
It needs the right rain but I hate to wish for that with the Rain map showing wots about upt North .
Is the Tone a mandatory requirement in uwave contests ?
Must look at the rules ....

John
G0API


John Fell
 

   Exchanges: Contest exchanges on the microwave bands consist of RS(T) + serial number (starting at 001). In addition, the six (or eight) figure QTH Locator must be exchanged

That''s wot it says for 2021 

John
G0API 


On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 17:18, John Fell via groups.io <john.g0api=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yup,
Flatter than the proverbial .
Soggy signal from KBQ (loud) but no DX at all .
It needs the right rain but I hate to wish for that with the Rain map showing wots about upt North .
Is the Tone a mandatory requirement in uwave contests ?
Must look at the rules ....

John
G0API


Dominique Dehays
 

Hi all,

True dx rainscatter needs high temperature and thus is not possible during winter.
What you experiment is winter rs, the low qrb type, whatever rain strength can be.
73
Dom


John Quarmby
 

The T reports can be A or S as well as 0-9, all are acceptable in UKuG and RSGB contest logs. As some logging programs don't allow non numerics in that field this can lead to mismatched send and receive logs  so adjudicators may choose to ignore the T part of the reports when checking logs. This also helps with cross mode QSOs or ones that switch from SSB to CW mid QSO, where missing T reports may otherwise be detected.

73
John G3XDY 



Sent from my Galaxy



militaryoperator
 

Will be trying tonight on 23. No tones, only standard Morse Code using a manual key and the 817's keyer if dots needed I'm afraid. 

See you there. 

Ben G4BXD IO82UJ



Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Condx

The T reports can be A or S as well as 0-9, all are acceptable in UKuG and RSGB contest logs. As some logging programs don't allow non numerics in that field this can lead to mismatched send and receive logs  so adjudicators may choose to ignore the T part of the reports when checking logs. This also helps with cross mode QSOs or ones that switch from SSB to CW mid QSO, where missing T reports may otherwise be detected.

73
John G3XDY 



John Fell
 

Sometimes we get Hail and Snow scatter Dom , but as you say we need heat to generate Towering CuNim clouds/rain from a large height for the best DX .

73
John
G0API 

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 17:28, Dominique Dehays <f6dro@...> wrote:
Hi all,

True dx rainscatter needs high temperature and thus is not possible during winter.
What you experiment is winter rs, the low qrb type, whatever rain strength can be.
73
Dom


Dominique Dehays
 

Ok,  I have no experience with snow scatter , how many km?
If it is less than say  400km, it is still not a dx mode.
73
Dom


John E. Beech
 

If the CuNims are that big it is most likely hail that is doing the scattering; the rain that falls from them is often a result
of melting ice. I once flew into an innocuous looking cumulus cloud on a bright sunny day; no rain. I got out PDQ as it
was full of ice and gave me a rude awakening - I thought the windscreen was going to break. Never did it again.

de John G8SEQ

-------Original Message-------
From: John Fell <john.g0api@gmail.com>
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Condx
Sent: Jan 19 '21 19:15

Sometimes we get Hail and Snow scatter Dom , but as you say we need
heat to generate Towering CuNim clouds/rain from a large height for
the best DX .

73
John
G0API

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 17:28, Dominique Dehays <f6dro@wanadoo.fr>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> True dx rainscatter needs high temperature and thus is not possible
> during winter.
> What you experiment is winter rs, the low qrb type, whatever rain
> strength can be.
> 73
> Dom


John Fell
 

Usually relatively short <150km .
NOT DX !

John

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 19:21, Dominique Dehays <f6dro@...> wrote:
Ok,  I have no experience with snow scatter , how many km?
If it is less than say  400km, it is still not a dx mode.
73
Dom


John Fell
 

Yes ice (Hail) caused by rising vortex in cloud structure - good DX scatter medium.
Over to Jim Bacon ....

John
G0API

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 19:21, John E. Beech <john@...> wrote:
If the CuNims are that big it is most likely hail that is doing the scattering; the rain that falls from them is often  a result
of melting ice. I once flew into an innocuous looking cumulus cloud on a bright sunny day; no rain. I got out PDQ as it
was full of ice and gave me a rude awakening - I thought the windscreen was going to break. Never did it again.

de John G8SEQ

>  -------Original Message-------
>  From: John Fell <john.g0api@...>
>  To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
>  Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Condx
>  Sent: Jan 19 '21 19:15

>  Sometimes we get Hail and Snow scatter Dom , but as you say we need
>  heat to generate Towering CuNim clouds/rain from a large height for
>  the best DX .

>  73
>  John
>  G0API

>  On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 17:28, Dominique Dehays <f6dro@...>
>  wrote:

>  > Hi all,
>  >
>  > True dx rainscatter needs high temperature and thus is not possible
>  > during winter.
>  > What you experiment is winter rs, the low qrb type, whatever rain
>  > strength can be.
>  > 73
>  > Dom








Robin Szemeti - G1YFG
 

I'm still trying to find where in the rules it says that the contact time has to be recorded in the submitted log ;)

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 17:24, John Fell <john.g0api@...> wrote:
   Exchanges: Contest exchanges on the microwave bands consist of RS(T) + serial number (starting at 001). In addition, the six (or eight) figure QTH Locator must be exchanged

That''s wot it says for 2021 

John
G0API 

On Tue, 19 Jan 2021 at 17:18, John Fell via groups.io <john.g0api=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Yup,
Flatter than the proverbial .
Soggy signal from KBQ (loud) but no DX at all .
It needs the right rain but I hate to wish for that with the Rain map showing wots about upt North .
Is the Tone a mandatory requirement in uwave contests ?
Must look at the rules ....

John
G0API


--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG


Pete - GM4BYF
 

Why I wasn't heard and didn't hear anyone beyond 7km last night.

Snow connecting driven element and 1st two directors . Reflector broken off- see photo

73
Pete GM4BYF


--
vry 73
Pete GM4BYF


Nick Peckett G4KUX
 

Wondered why I couldn’t hear you Pete, SWR must have been a bit iffiy!

 

73s G4KUX

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Pete - GM4BYF via groups.io
Sent: 20 January 2021 12:00
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Condx

 

Why I wasn't heard and didn't hear anyone beyond 7km last night.

Snow connecting driven element and 1st two directors . Reflector broken off- see photo

73
Pete GM4BYF




--
vry 73
Pete GM4BYF

 


Neil Smith G4DBN
 

That polar dielectric loading system will never catch on Pete.

As for the "virtual" reflector design, at least it is light, resistant to bird damage and corrosion-proof.

Neil G4DBN

On 20/01/2021 12:00, Pete - GM4BYF via groups.io wrote:

Why I wasn't heard and didn't hear anyone beyond 7km last night.

Snow connecting driven element and 1st two directors . Reflector broken off- see photo

73
Pete GM4BYF


Pete - GM4BYF
 

SWR was  great - checked it several times

73
Pete GM4BYF
On 20/01/21 12:06, Nick Peckett G4KUX wrote:

Wondered why I couldn’t hear you Pete, SWR must have been a bit iffiy!

 

73s G4KUX

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Pete - GM4BYF via groups.io
Sent: 20 January 2021 12:00
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Condx

 

Why I wasn't heard and didn't hear anyone beyond 7km last night.

Snow connecting driven element and 1st two directors . Reflector broken off- see photo

73
Pete GM4BYF




--
vry 73
Pete GM4BYF

 


--
vry 73
Pete GM4BYF


John E. Beech
 

I'm not surprised with a dummy load across the feed point. I'm always suspicious of 1:1 vswr. In most cases where I've
seen this it has been due to very lossy co-ax.

de John G8SEQ

-------Original Message-------
From: Pete - GM4BYF via groups.io <gm4byf=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Condx
Sent: Jan 20 '21 12:29

SWR was great - checked it several times

73
Pete GM4BYF

On 20/01/21 12:06, Nick Peckett G4KUX wrote:

> Wondered why I couldn’t hear you Pete, SWR must have been a bit
> iffiy!
>
> 73s G4KUX
>
> Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>
> FROM: Pete - GM4BYF via groups.io
> SENT: 20 January 2021 12:00
> TO: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
> SUBJECT: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Condx
>
> Why I wasn't heard and didn't hear anyone beyond 7km last night.
>
> Snow connecting driven element and 1st two directors . Reflector
> broken off- see photo
>
> 73
>
> Pete GM4BYF
>
> --
> vry 73
> Pete GM4BYF

--
vry 73
Pete GM4BYF


Robin Szemeti - G1YFG
 

To be fair, conditions were atrocious.  Stewart LGS is normally 20+ over 9 with me and almost line of sight ... I struggled to hear him, and when I did it was weak and washy with lots of phase noise ... I then spent 40 minutes checking the LO, checking the receiver etc and nothing really seemed to be wrong ...worked a few other stations but it really was dismal.  

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 12:33, John E. Beech <john@...> wrote:
I'm not surprised with a dummy load across the feed point. I'm always suspicious of 1:1 vswr. In most cases where I've
seen this it has been due to very lossy co-ax.

de John G8SEQ

>  -------Original Message-------
>  From: Pete - GM4BYF via groups.io <gm4byf=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
>  To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
>  Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Condx
>  Sent: Jan 20 '21 12:29

>  SWR was great - checked it several times

>  73
>  Pete GM4BYF

>  On 20/01/21 12:06, Nick Peckett G4KUX wrote:

>  > Wondered why I couldn’t hear you Pete, SWR must have been a bit
>  > iffiy!
>  >
>  > 73s G4KUX
>  >
>  > Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>  >
>  > FROM: Pete - GM4BYF via groups.io
>  > SENT: 20 January 2021 12:00
>  > TO: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
>  > SUBJECT: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Condx
>  >
>  > Why I wasn't heard and didn't hear anyone beyond 7km last night.
>  >
>  > Snow connecting driven element and 1st two directors . Reflector
>  > broken off- see photo
>  >
>  > 73
>  >
>  > Pete GM4BYF
>  >
>  > --
>  > vry 73
>  > Pete GM4BYF

>  --
>  vry 73
>  Pete GM4BYF







--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG


Colin Ranson
 

Robin,

 

70MHz up to 1296MHz – all bands well below normal judging by beacons etc, 2m and 70cm Dutch beacons inaudible for example.   Is this ‘normal’ and other times when you can hear them ‘enhanced’ ? and when they romp in a ‘bit of a lift on’ !   Wonder how GB3MHZ was with you last night ?

 

Just been and collected some tinplate boxes from Alan, G3NYK.....  need to get on with a couple of projects. Ie 3.4GHz LNA – the German made Teflon PCB is hiding somewhere, come to Daddy !

 

Enjoy rest of day.

 

 

Colin de G8LBS.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Robin Szemeti - G1YFG
Sent: 20 January 2021 13:30
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Condx

 

To be fair, conditions were atrocious.  Stewart LGS is normally 20+ over 9 with me and almost line of sight ... I struggled to hear him, and when I did it was weak and washy with lots of phase noise ... I then spent 40 minutes checking the LO, checking the receiver etc and nothing really seemed to be wrong ...worked a few other stations but it really was dismal.  

 

On Wed, 20 Jan 2021 at 12:33, John E. Beech <john@...> wrote:

I'm not surprised with a dummy load across the feed point. I'm always suspicious of 1:1 vswr. In most cases where I've
seen this it has been due to very lossy co-ax.

de John G8SEQ

>  -------Original Message-------
>  From: Pete - GM4BYF via groups.io <gm4byf=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
>  To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io>
>  Subject: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Condx
>  Sent: Jan 20 '21 12:29

>  SWR was great - checked it several times

>  73
>  Pete GM4BYF

>  On 20/01/21 12:06, Nick Peckett G4KUX wrote:

>  > Wondered why I couldn’t hear you Pete, SWR must have been a bit
>  > iffiy!
>  >
>  > 73s G4KUX
>  >
>  > Sent from Mail for Windows 10
>  >
>  > FROM: Pete - GM4BYF via groups.io
>  > SENT: 20 January 2021 12:00
>  > TO: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
>  > SUBJECT: Re: [UKMicrowaves] Condx
>  >
>  > Why I wasn't heard and didn't hear anyone beyond 7km last night.
>  >
>  > Snow connecting driven element and 1st two directors . Reflector
>  > broken off- see photo
>  >
>  > 73
>  >
>  > Pete GM4BYF
>  >
>  > --
>  > vry 73
>  > Pete GM4BYF

>  --
>  vry 73
>  Pete GM4BYF






--
Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

 


militaryoperator
 

Seems condx were not that bad for some, looking at claimed scores there seems to have been plenty of continental contacts, which might explain the brush offs and no replies on KST requests for a qso. 

I was even someones best dx!!, thanks Andrew, hi. 

Hey ho. hope the rain stops for next week. 

Ben. 


Mike Willis
 

Maybe for those in the South and South East of the country. I gave up on UKACs a while back. It's just not much fun any more to hear very little because everyone is beaming away from you for most of the contest, turning beams after 10 but that's too late on a work night. Rules based on distance squared, aimed at advantaging those with the best access to DX paths plus those silly multipliers. It was supposed to be an activity contest rather than a back slapping demonstration of DX prowess. When I came on in IO83 from a fairly good late last year site it was soul destroying. I know I can work many stations from up there, if only they would beam that way more often, not just once to get the multiplier. Not sure how the less well sited stations maintain their enthusiasm, but they do.
--
Mike G0MJW