Topics

Coax for dish feed (suggestions please).

Andy GD1MIP

I am putting together two dishes for 13 & 9cm.

My plan is a multiband Vivaldi feed with an SMA connector to an SMA on a transverter mounted on the rear of the dish, currently 3w max power, but may go up to 10w later.

So I need two  roughly 1 to 2m lengths of the  lowest loss coax I can afford. Succoflex 100 has been suggested.

Are there any better options and suggestions of a source?

Thanks Andy GD1MIP

Colin Ranson

Andy,

Yikes ! 1m of 104 terminated in SMA’s is £511 +vat from Farnell !

Colin de G8LBS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am putting together two dishes for 13 & 9cm.

My plan is a multiband Vivaldi feed with an SMA connector to an SMA on a transverter mounted on the rear of the dish, currently 3w max power, but may go up to 10w later.

So I need two  roughly 1 to 2m lengths of the  lowest loss coax I can afford. Succoflex 100 has been suggested.

Are there any better options and suggestions of a source?

Thanks Andy GD1MIP

steve G1PPA

Colin there is guy on e Bay new un used 1.2 mtre
Terminated in SMA £146 ,its very good quality i use it on 10ghz pays to shop around a bit
Cheers steve

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 14:54, Colin Ranson
<g8lbs@...> wrote:

Andy,

Yikes ! 1m of 104 terminated in SMA’s is £511 +vat from Farnell !

Colin de G8LBS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am putting together two dishes for 13 & 9cm.

My plan is a multiband Vivaldi feed with an SMA connector to an SMA on a transverter mounted on the rear of the dish, currently 3w max power, but may go up to 10w later.

So I need two  roughly 1 to 2m lengths of the  lowest loss coax I can afford. Succoflex 100 has been suggested.

Are there any better options and suggestions of a source?

Thanks Andy GD1MIP

Colin Ranson

Andy, Steve,

RG 402 semi rigid copper clad is about 1db loss at 3.4GHz per 6ft ?  and its relatively cheap.    Unless of course you have a fat bank account and then I would use Sucoflex.

I’m going to use RG402 on my 3.4 GHz TP-Link dish when I sort the feed.

Regards, Colin de ‘LBS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am putting together two dishes for 13 & 9cm.

My plan is a multiband Vivaldi feed with an SMA connector to an SMA on a transverter mounted on the rear of the dish, currently 3w max power, but may go up to 10w later.

So I need two  roughly 1 to 2m lengths of the  lowest loss coax I can afford. Succoflex 100 has been suggested.

Are there any better options and suggestions of a source?

Thanks Andy GD1MIP

steve G1PPA

Hi Colin

I agree sucoflex, is far to expensive for 3.4 at 1.2mtre I just have sucoflex for 10ghz, using a prime focus dish with txvtre behind dish portable I needed something other than waveguide

Cheers

steve

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 15:06, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Andy, Steve,

 RG 402 semi rigid copper clad is about 1db loss at 3.4GHz per 6ft ?

RG-401 is a 6.3 (ish) mm diameter semi-rigid that’s not that expensive. Farnell have it at £18/m, but I am sure that I have paid much less, from a reputable source. There might be problems in getting longer lengths. One can easily get both N and SMA connectors for Rg-401.

Dave
--
Dr. David Kirkby,
Kirkby Microwave Ltd,

Registered in England & Wales, company number 08914892.
Registered office:
Stokes Hall Lodge, Burnham Rd, Althorne, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3 6DT, United Kingdom

Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...>

I saw that, it's scary expensive but it is an excellent spec cable.

I'd question the need for ultra low loss, phase stable lab grade cable specced to 26.5GHz for 9 and 13cm?

On Wed, 4 Nov 2020 at 14:54, Colin Ranson <g8lbs@...> wrote:

Andy,

Yikes ! 1m of 104 terminated in SMA’s is £511 +vat from Farnell !

Colin de G8LBS

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I am putting together two dishes for 13 & 9cm.

My plan is a multiband Vivaldi feed with an SMA connector to an SMA on a transverter mounted on the rear of the dish, currently 3w max power, but may go up to 10w later.

So I need two  roughly 1 to 2m lengths of the  lowest loss coax I can afford. Succoflex 100 has been suggested.

Are there any better options and suggestions of a source?

Thanks Andy GD1MIP

--
Clint. M0UAW IO83

No trees were harmed in the sending of this mail. However, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

Bob_G1ZJP

Hi Andy

If you can re-engineer your project I have some lengths of RG401 semi rigid, approx. 450mm,  with a chassis mount 4.3/10 connector on one end.

I can photo if of interest – mail me off list

Thanks for QSO last night.

73

Bob, G1ZJP / M1MHZ

I am putting together two dishes for 13 & 9cm.

My plan is a multiband Vivaldi feed with an SMA connector to an SMA on a transverter mounted on the rear of the dish, currently 3w max power, but may go up to 10w later.

So I need two  roughly 1 to 2m lengths of the  lowest loss coax I can afford. Succoflex 100 has been suggested.

Are there any better options and suggestions of a source?

Thanks Andy GD1MIP

Mike GD6ICR

Im in the same situation as Andy for 10ghz need a feeder with sma's about a metre long so I can get a beacon on the air and keep all tx indoors. Otherwise hope the waterproof boxes I have remain that way. Its feeding a 20 slot waveguidein a radome which I believe should give 160 deg horizontal coverage. Hope to get a carrier only one going this weekend about 20mW and then within the month one using FT290 and Demi Transverter at about 2W and see how long that lasts. Any special frequency preferred to GM/GI coverage - If it gets to any G's Id be amazed but reports would be appreciated replies to 10Ghz@...

--
Mike GD6ICR IO74PF73TW

Mark GM4ISM

Hi Mike, I'll be looking  for it, I would expect to hear it on RS at the 2W level, possibly not at 20mW.  Path looks excellent, only 236dB troposcatter loss.  You may be able to hear me on troposcatter on the beacon antenna if there are no local obstructions  Alan GM0USI/P copied me (no rain)  at 190km on the Isle of Skye a couple of weeks ago on a bare LNB,  troposcatter PL was 246dB to him!

Please confirm frequency. If you want to set up to listen, I can pop a carrier to you at 50W almost any time. If you run a 35cm+ dish in my direction, I think it will go every day.