Chip supplies have hit JNT Labs

Andy G4JNT

I've just been trying to order some 12F167 PIC devices as used in the microwavers audio keyer - and the chip shortage has hit.   RS and Farnell are out completely with over a year delay.  Mouser had none in SOIC package as needed for that board, but did have stocks of DIL.  Which I inadvertently ordered 40 of, before realising the mistake.

Fortunately a telephone call managed to cancel that order - amidst a bit of hilarity at the far end when I explained what I'd done :-)   Mouser don't make the device packaging type as clear as Farnell and RS do

So I've ordered the last stock they have of the MSOP packaged chips, the small compact package with 0.65mm tab spacing.   Those devices won't fit on the keyer PCB but I'm sure can be retrofitted with a bit of ingenuity and thin wire links  if wanted   Still 8 SOIC chips.

Neil Smith G4DBN

Does Avnet have any? They have a weird issue with some lines having minimum order quantity of 100, but if there are fewer than 100 in stock, you can't buy them unless you order 100. They send you the 26 in stock and leave the rest on back-order with no obvious way to cancel.

Octopart shows things are pretty grim across a wide range of parts from most suppliers.  Sometimes I've found stuff on RichardsonRFPD even when Arrow (their parent) shown nothing, but not for those PICs.

Neil G4DBN

On 20/09/2021 12:50, Andy G4JNT wrote:
I've just been trying to order some 12F167 PIC devices as used in the microwavers audio keyer - and the chip shortage has hit.   RS and Farnell are out completely with over a year delay.  Mouser had none in SOIC package as needed for that board, but did have stocks of DIL.  Which I inadvertently ordered 40 of, before realising the mistake.

Fortunately a telephone call managed to cancel that order - amidst a bit of hilarity at the far end when I explained what I'd done :-)   Mouser don't make the device packaging type as clear as Farnell and RS do

So I've ordered the last stock they have of the MSOP packaged chips, the small compact package with 0.65mm tab spacing.   Those devices won't fit on the keyer PCB but I'm sure can be retrofitted with a bit of ingenuity and thin wire links  if wanted   Still 8 SOIC chips.

_

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Is 12F167 a typo?

Try putting your part numbers into http://octopart.com  saves a lot of searching.

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 13:08, Neil Smith G4DBN <neil@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, was meant to be 12F617

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 13:39, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
Is 12F167 a typo?

Andy G4JNT

Interesting - haven't met Octopart before

Unfortunately it doesn't help with package type.   The companies it says have 12F167 devices only have them in QFN now.  And that is really one package I'd prefer not to use unless essential!

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 13:39, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
Try putting your part numbers into http://octopart.com  saves a lot of searching.

Colin G4EML

AliExpress is still showing a few people who claim to have some available.
I am nervous about ordering chips from China but I recently needed some 16F1825s urgently and that was the only place I could get them. They arrived and proved to be OK.

Colin G4EML.

On 20 Sep 2021, at 13:44, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

Yes, was meant to be 12F617

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 13:39, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
Is 12F167 a typo?

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

You can build entire part lists in Octopart, store them away etc, very handy.  We basically build Octopart lists for all our stuff these days, saves a lot of hassle.

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 13:49, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
Interesting - haven't met Octopart before

Unfortunately it doesn't help with package type.   The companies it says have 12F167 devices only have them in QFN now.  And that is really one package I'd prefer not to use unless essential!

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 13:39, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
Try putting your part numbers into http://octopart.com  saves a lot of searching.

There is a search box for package type and in-stock and loads more parameters.
Neil G4DBN

On 20 Sep 2021 13:49, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:
Interesting - haven't met Octopart before

Unfortunately it doesn't help with package type.   The companies it says have 12F167 devices only have them in QFN now.  And that is really one package I'd prefer not to use unless essential!

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 13:39, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
Try putting your part numbers into http://octopart.com  saves a lot of searching.

Gedas

Hi Colin. Have you been able to pay using PayPal with AliExpress? I am extremely reluctant to hand over my personal credit card info to them. At least with PP I have some safety. 73

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com (under repair)
Light travels faster than sound....
On 9/20/2021 8:56 AM, Colin G4EML wrote:

AliExpress is still showing a few people who claim to have some available.
I am nervous about ordering chips from China but I recently needed some 16F1825s urgently and that was the only place I could get them. They arrived and proved to be OK.

Colin G4EML.

On 20 Sep 2021, at 13:44, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

Yes, was meant to be 12F617

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 13:39, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:
Is 12F167 a typo?

Colin G4EML

Yes, I always use Paypal with AliExpress.

They actually have some quite good safety features.  You are actually dealing with individual sellers but your payment goes to AliExpress and they don’t transfer the money to the sellers until you have received the goods and confirmed receipt.

If for some reason the seller doesn’t send the goods in the agreed time or the goods don’t arrive you automatically get refunded.

That happened to me once. The seller didn’t dispatch within the promised 10 days and I got an automatic refund.

Other than that I have had quite a few successful purchases.

Colin G4EML

Hi Colin. Have you been able to pay using PayPal with AliExpress? I am extremely reluctant to hand over my personal credit card info to them. At least with PP I have some safety. 73

Gedas, W8BYA EN70JT

Gallery at http://w8bya.com (under repair)
Light travels faster than sound....

On 9/20/2021 8:56 AM, Colin G4EML wrote:

AliExpress is still showing a few people who claim to have some available.

I am nervous about ordering chips from China but I recently needed some 16F1825s urgently and that was the only place I could get them. They arrived and proved to be OK.

Colin G4EML.

On 20 Sep 2021, at 13:44, Andy G4JNT <andy.g4jnt@...> wrote:

Yes, was meant to be 12F617

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 13:39, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:

Is 12F167 a typo?

Gedas

Oh how interesting. I tried to purchase some uW terminations a month ago and the only payment option was a CC. I did not see PP anywhere. Knowing what you just said I will look much more carefully.....or maybe I was not on the "real" AliExpress site.....TU 73

On 9/20/2021 12:26 PM, Colin G4EML wrote:

[...]

Andy

On Mon, 20 Sept 2021 at 13:39, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG <robin@...> wrote:

Is 12F167 a typo?

Colin G4EML

You sometimes have to select ‘other payment options’ before it appears.

Colin.

On 20 Sep 2021, at 18:15, Gedas <w8bya@...> wrote:

[...]

Bo, OZ2M

Colin Ranson

All,   I have 4 x 16F628 -04/9 (18 pin DIL) going spare if anyone wants to make me an offer ?

Colin de G8LBS.

Sent from Mail for Windows