Building a simple 10 ghz beacon ?

Keith

I'm located in Perth, Western Australia and my daughter is building a house approx 460 kms north of me at Drummonds Cove, Geraldton WA.
Her house is literally 60 mtrs from the ocean on a sand dune.
This opens up a possible location for a 3cms beacon north of Perth, something we have never had here, although it isn't a sea path all the way, just most of it.
So, given I have heaps of waveguide, a 1 watt amp, and lots of other bits and pieces here I thought, rather than make a beacon based on old designs on the web, does anyone have a suggestion, a kit, some boards etc available to put a very basic beacon together please ?
Antennas are not a problem as I have two 16 element and one 8 element slotted wave guide antennas here spare, horns a plenty, even a few spare 18" dishes, though they may be a bit conspicuous in a new housing area, pointing the opposite way to all the other satellite dishes ;)
So basically, I dont want to reinvent the wheel, just want something simple that she can turn on and off when asked to, no sophisticated modes of operation, just straight forward CW keying ( eeprom or something? ) as there wont be a pc attached, maybe even just a modulated carrier, though that may not be suitable.
The 1 watt amp I have only requires about 50 mW of drive.
I did build a 10 ghz wbfm beacon here in 1990, but I doubt wbfm will carry that far :)
All suggestions welcome please :)
Cheers
Keith VK6KB

Keith

I should add I do have a ZL PLL 5 band portable beacon here that I use as a personal beacon for portable testing from 1296 - 10368 mhz but I really want to keep that for our MUD days.

Steve G4HTZ

Hi Keith
a vhf design board from Ukraine for about $100 …programble with a cw beacon …about 10mw out might be worth a look

https://vhfdesign.com/pll/lo-pll-usb.html

--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

Denis Stanton G0OLX

Keith
I have just tried a RF Zero board using carrier and CW through a ZLPLL board  and it worked a treat, it wouldn’t allow the PI4 tones through but that could be achieved by looking at the loop filter
Bo who supplies them is very good with support and there are lots of different beacon configurations
Have a look on his Webb site I fed my one in to the ZLPLl module at 10 MHz reference input
The RF Zero board is GPS disciplined so the freq is accurate.
I have also multiplied it up to 24 GHz and the note was good even up there.
Best 73
Denis G0OLX

On 23 May 2021, at 08:38, Steve G4HTZ via groups.io <essexsteve@...> wrote:

Hi Keith
a vhf design board from Ukraine for about $100 …programble with a cw beacon …about 10mw out might be worth a look

https://vhfdesign.com/pll/lo-pll-usb.html

--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60
Great Wakering, Essex
24ghz 1.8w 80cm dish

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

Keith

Thanks Steve,
just watched the video and it does seem to be exactly what I'm looking for :)
I will investigate further as it seems they are made to order, but it does look perfect ;)
Cheers
Keith

Steve G4HTZ

They do speak good English …and good to deal with …I’ve had a few pre amps from them in the past .
ive got one of the devices here and it does what it says as per the video
regards
steve
--
Steve G4HTZ
JO01JN60
Great Wakering, Essex
24ghz 1.8w 80cm dish

also known to be active occasionally on 70cms DATV

Mihai, YO8RHM

I made a beacon in 23cm with the PLL from vhfdesign that has been working very well for 3 years on a 1650m peak (it still works !). It is a solution that fits very well with a beacon. From the PLL I amplify the signal with a PGA103 with which I attack an integrated RA18H1213G and the output power is 5W. Unfortunately, those from vhfdesign have currently stopped production for various reasons generated by the situation from Ukraine. You can contact Pavel from vhfdesign on Skype to request information by searching for his call US4ICI.

Mihai YO8RHM