From: UKMicrowaves@groups.io <UKMicrowaves@groups.io> On Behalf Of Michael Scott via groups.io
Sent: 11 May 2021 16:20
To: UKMicrowaves@groups.io
Subject: [UKMicrowaves] BT Terms and Conditions

Hi All

Sorry if this is off topic, but BT (?) have sent me an e-mail saying I will loose my BT Mail connection if I do not accept their updated terms and conditions before 15 May. I suspect it is a scam, and am reluctant to click on any of the links. It is signed The BT Community Team.

Any one else had anything similar?

73, Mike, G3LYP.

John Quarmby

It is a scam Mike. If you are using an email application on a PC you may be able to hover over the link address in the email and see where it actually points to - I bet its not BT.

73

John G3XDY

On 11/05/2021 15:20, Michael Scott via groups.io wrote:
Hi All

Sorry if this is off topic, but BT (?) have sent me an e-mail saying I will loose my BT Mail connection if I do not accept their updated terms and conditions before 15 May. I suspect it is a scam, and am reluctant to click on any of the links. It is signed The BT Community Team.

Any one else had anything similar?

73, Mike, G3LYP.

I've had dozens too.  I never use my BT Internet account, and anything sent to it is forwarded automatically to Gmail.
Ignored every one of them and most automatically go into the Gmail Spam box.

On Tue, 11 May 2021 at 16:20, Michael Scott via groups.io <g3lyp=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All

Sorry if this is off topic, but BT (?) have sent me an e-mail saying I
will loose my BT Mail connection if I do not accept their updated terms
and conditions before 15 May. I suspect it is a scam, and am reluctant
to click on any of the links. It is signed The BT Community Team.

Any one else had anything similar?

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Andy

So where do the links point?

Andy

Sorry if this is off topic, but BT (?) have sent me an e-mail saying I
will loose my BT Mail connection if I do not accept their updated terms
and conditions before 15 May. I suspect it is a scam, and am reluctant
to click on any of the links. It is signed The BT Community Team.

Any one else had anything similar?

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Michael Scott

Hi, Graham, John and Andy

Thanks for the advice, but thought I should check!

Like you Andy, my messages normally go to Thunderbird, but I check BT each morning as sometimes genuine messages end up in the BT scam folder and don't get sent to Thunderbird.

Thanks again for the advice.

Mike.

On 11/05/2021 16:26, Andy G4JNT wrote:
I've had dozens too.  I never use my BT Internet account, and anything sent to it is forwarded automatically to Gmail.
Ignored every one of them and most automatically go into the Gmail Spam box.

On Tue, 11 May 2021 at 16:20, Michael Scott via groups.io <g3lyp=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi All

Sorry if this is off topic, but BT (?) have sent me an e-mail saying I
will loose my BT Mail connection if I do not accept their updated terms
and conditions before 15 May. I suspect it is a scam, and am reluctant
to click on any of the links. It is signed The BT Community Team.

Any one else had anything similar?

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Alan Melia

Hi Mike the quick check is look at the senders address. If it is btinternet.com, it is a scam. A REAL BT message will always come from bt.com. I have forwarded thousands of these but they do not seem to have any idea how to differentiate beween their own messages and and fraudulent ones! the mind boggles.

However you can never lose access by just disregarding the message. BT will always write to you ! At least that is what I tell my family.

Alan
G3NYK

Sorry if this is off topic, but BT (?) have sent me an e-mail saying I will loose my BT Mail connection if I do not accept their updated terms and conditions before 15 May. I suspect it is a scam, and am reluctant to click on any of the links. It is signed The BT Community Team.

Any one else had anything similar?

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Bob_G1ZJP

All

I get text messages and email scams – I have an easy way of avoiding emails, I use a filter in Thunderbird to find the spam mails and then automatically forward the mail to  report@...  and then delete the mail – periodically I delete the contents of the deleted folder.  I haven’t found anything more “interesting” to do with text messages yet,  other than manually blocking the number and deleting the message.

Additionally I always treat mails & text as spam/scam unless I know it’s origin and expecting it.  A genuine mail/text will send again or phone.

Stay safe

73

Bob, G1ZJP

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

> Sorry if this is off topic, but BT (?) have sent me an e-mail saying I
> will loose my BT Mail connection if I do not accept their updated terms
> and conditions before 15 May. I suspect it is a scam, and am reluctant to
> click on any of the links. It is signed The BT Community Team.
>
> Any one else had anything similar?
>
> 73, Mike, G3LYP.

Michael Scott

Hi Alan

It came from "m.webster609@btinternet.com"

Thanks for the advice!

Hope you are well!

73, Mike.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Scott via groups.io" <g3lyp=btinternet.com@groups.io>
Sorry if this is off topic, but BT (?) have sent me an e-mail saying I will loose my BT Mail connection if I do not accept their updated terms and conditions before 15 May. I suspect it is a scam, and am reluctant to click on any of the links. It is signed The BT Community Team.

Any one else had anything similar?

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Lawrence GJ3RAX

On 11 May 2021, at 18:11, Michael Scott via groups.io <g3lyp=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hi Alan
It came from "m.webster609@btinternet.com"
Thanks for the advice!
Hope you are well!
73, Mike.
I ran a search for that email address and found it on this page as the bottom photo with an email address:

https://www.salisbury.anglican.org/whos-who/contacts/environment

He does seem to be a representative of an organisation but certainly not BT. It looks as if his email address has been hijacked.

73, Lawrence GJ3RAX

Alan Melia

Yep definitely a scammer. I forward these as an attachment to phishing@bt.com . not that t seems to do any good. its difficult to block them without finding all btinternet emails are blocked blocked. They always use a different id/name.

Alan
G3NYK

Sorry if this is off topic, but BT (?) have sent me an e-mail saying I will loose my BT Mail connection if I do not accept their updated terms and conditions before 15 May. I suspect it is a scam, and am reluctant to click on any of the links. It is signed The BT Community Team.

Any one else had anything similar?

73, Mike, G3LYP.

Stephen Tompsett

The site https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/suspicious-email-actions
<https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/guidance/suspicious-email-actions>

recommends that you forward spam email to: report@phishing.gov.uk

Similarly forward SMS spam to 7726 (SPAM).

Stephen (G8LYB)

--
Stephen Tompsett (G8LYB)
Tel: 01788 578940

alwyn.seeds1

Dear All,

Anyone with a public e-mail address should expect it to be used by undesirables.

I am sometimes entertained by receiving e-mails purporting to come from myself offering a wide variety of products and services that I do not offer.

Joys of the cyber world.

Regards,

Alwyn G8DOH

Alwyn Seeds, Director