Topics

BLF7G22L-130N amp, shim or Milling?

Nick Gregory G0HIK

I've never played with this sort of thing before, but took a punt on one of these modules for 2.4g from Poland.

The electrical mods look reasonably within my capability, but maybe the hardware isn't.

The info I've read talks about taking the devices out and putting a crank in the leads. The better option is getting a heatsink milled 0.7mm to allow for the transistor mounting.
Could I use a copper shim under the PCB, or is it not possible to get enough grounding points? Or shall I just bite the bullet and take a heatsink to a local engineering company to do the work for me ?

Nick G0HIK

Nick Gregory G0HIK

A photo of the unit

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

I have a milled copper plate if you want it, I am unlikely to use it and can easily make another if I do.

image.png

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 14:13, Nick Gregory G0HIK via groups.io <nickg0hik=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
A photo of the unit

Nick Gregory G0HIK

Thankyou Robin, that is so kind.

I'll send you a personal email.

73's

Nick G0HIK

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

Or if you prefer to have a local company make one, here is the .DXF of the holes etc  It's pretty close.

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 14:56, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
I have a milled copper plate if you want it, I am unlikely to use it and can easily make another if I do.

image.png

On Mon, 28 Sep 2020 at 14:13, Nick Gregory G0HIK via groups.io <nickg0hik=googlemail.com@groups.io> wrote:
A photo of the unit

Paul Randall G3NJV

I also bought this PA board, not delivered yet. Without machinery, my thinking was limited to using a hand cut 0.7mm copper sheet as a shim. Has anyone used shim like this before? Any problems I should think about?
Thanks Paul

Robin Szemeti - G1YFG

The spreader plate I made has gone to its new owner ... one more person has contacted me so I will make another on the CNC,  but I can do more if needed.  I've not actually located the piece of stock I purchased originally for this, but I would guess it was big enough to cut at least more ...

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 20:54, Paul Randall G3NJV <paulfrandall@...> wrote:
I also bought this PA board, not delivered yet. Without machinery, my thinking was limited to using a hand cut 0.7mm copper sheet as a shim. Has anyone used shim like this before? Any problems I should think about?
Thanks Paul

malcolm johnson

Hi Robin,

I also have need of a spreader if you are making more?

73

Malcolm G0UHY

The spreader plate I made has gone to its new owner ... one more person has contacted me so I will make another on the CNC,  but I can do more if needed.  I've not actually located the piece of stock I purchased originally for this, but I would guess it was big enough to cut at least more ...

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 20:54, Paul Randall G3NJV <paulfrandall@...> wrote:
I also bought this PA board, not delivered yet. Without machinery, my thinking was limited to using a hand cut 0.7mm copper sheet as a shim. Has anyone used shim like this before? Any problems I should think about?
Thanks Paul

I asked the other guy for £15 to cover post and materials, mail me off list if that is acceptable.

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 21:18, malcolm johnson <g0uhy@...> wrote:
Hi Robin,

I also have need of a spreader if you are making more?

73

Malcolm G0UHY

The spreader plate I made has gone to its new owner ... one more person has contacted me so I will make another on the CNC,  but I can do more if needed.  I've not actually located the piece of stock I purchased originally for this, but I would guess it was big enough to cut at least more ...

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 20:54, Paul Randall G3NJV <paulfrandall@...> wrote:
I also bought this PA board, not delivered yet. Without machinery, my thinking was limited to using a hand cut 0.7mm copper sheet as a shim. Has anyone used shim like this before? Any problems I should think about?
Thanks Paul

Right, anymore for anymore?  I now have 4 people wanting these spreaders, I am going to order another piece of material as even if I could find the first piece of stock, it would not be big enough.

So anymore for anymore?  Last orders at the bar ...

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 21:32, Robin Szemeti - G1YFG via groups.io <robin=redpoint.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...>

Just to confirm, yes please.

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020, 13:16 Robin Szemeti - G1YFG, <robin@...> wrote:
[...]

You are on the list.

On Tue, 6 Oct 2020 at 13:51, Clint Sharp <cjaysharp@...> wrote:
[...]

A big yes please Robin

73 Paul

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

The spreader plate I made has gone to its new owner ... one more person has contacted me so I will make another on the CNC,  but I can do more if needed.  I've not actually located the piece of stock I purchased originally for this, but I would guess it was big enough to cut at least more ...

On Wed, 30 Sep 2020 at 20:54, Paul Randall G3NJV <paulfrandall@...> wrote:
I also bought this PA board, not delivered yet. Without machinery, my thinking was limited to using a hand cut 0.7mm copper sheet as a shim. Has anyone used shim like this before? Any problems I should think about?
Thanks Paul

Don't worry Paul, you are already one of the 4 on my list.